PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Door

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-22, 05:02 PM
Why does it force the end of your turn? I mean, what's the metagame rationale?

Wizard_Tom
2007-01-22, 05:03 PM
Disorientation from teleporting? I dunno...

Jade_Tarem
2007-01-22, 05:03 PM
I guess it's because it takes time to open the door, step through, and end up on the other side. None of which explains why it doesn't matter whether or not you move first.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-22, 05:04 PM
Because it's not instantaneous transport.

Jade_Tarem
2007-01-22, 05:06 PM
Yeah, but you're allowed to move then cast, but not cast then move. That suggests that there's 2 different durations for the spell. The Disorientation therory actually makes more sense.

Gamebird
2007-01-22, 05:11 PM
Metagame? As in rules-wise reason? It's so you can't move up on an enemy without giving the enemy a chance to respond. Of course that doesn't address that prestige class that allows you to DD and then take a full attack, or whether people you bring along with you, who have readied actions to attack the bad guy when they get next to him, get to take those actions.

It's a rule designed to stop Teleport-bombing. Which is teleporting (or DDing) into an area and getting automatic surprise, wiping out the enemy before it knows it's even threatened. Because D&D isn't all that fun as a contested game when most combats are resolved by the PCs inflicting death on targets that can't respond.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-22, 05:23 PM
Metagame? As in rules-wise reason? It's so you can't move up on an enemy without giving the enemy a chance to respond. Of course that doesn't address that prestige class that allows you to DD and then take a full attack, or whether people you bring along with you, who have readied actions to attack the bad guy when they get next to him, get to take those actions.

It's a rule designed to stop Teleport-bombing. Which is teleporting (or DDing) into an area and getting automatic surprise, wiping out the enemy before it knows it's even threatened. Because D&D isn't all that fun as a contested game when most combats are resolved by the PCs inflicting death on targets that can't respond.

That is what I meant, yes.

Stephen_E
2007-01-22, 06:39 PM

As Gamebird said -

This is particuly lethal against Wizards. It should also be noted that this generally works better agianst PCs then for. The BBEG is more likely to know where you are and be in the posistion to target forces at you, and they only have to do it once to kill the party (same logic as why the "Massive Damage" rule is detrimental to PC health).

Stephen

TheOOB
2007-01-22, 06:49 PM
Another metagame reason is that Dimension Door, unlike teleport, can get you into areas you've never been to before. You can use dimension door by distance which can get you through walls and doors and stuff, but whoever is on the other side gets a chance to respond to your arrival first.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-22, 07:00 PM
yeah otherwise dimension in, lob a fireball, and get out. in deities and demigods there's an ability that has all the ability to move like dimension door and act right away, but that's only for gods.

Rei_Jin
2007-01-22, 07:03 PM
There IS one way around that rule.

The Sun School Tactical feat allows a character to Dimension Door and take a single attack at the end of said Dimension Door.

I once made a nasty build with a Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist for such a thing. I coloured him blue and named him Nightcrawler.

TimeWizard
2007-01-22, 07:21 PM

The Sun School Tactical feat allows a character to Dimension Door and take a single attack at the end of said Dimension Door.

I once made a nasty build with a Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist for such a thing. I coloured him blue and named him Nightcrawler.

Winning statement +2.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-22, 08:06 PM

I've been thinking about making such a character myself. The problem is, abundant step is once a day. Are there other ways for a monk to make use of the Sun School feat? I don't believe it specifically says abundant step, after all.

Edit: cape of the mountebank would make that 2/day, just thought of that

Rei_Jin
2007-01-22, 08:10 PM
Or Warlock with Flee the Scene

Hence the Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist.

RandomNPC
2007-01-22, 08:19 PM
what level do each of those go into effect? and what books?

Rei_Jin
2007-01-23, 01:39 AM
Flee the Scene is gainable as a level 6 Warlock. It allows you a short range Dimension Door which leaves behind a Major Image of yourself for 1 round.

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 02:12 AM
Hey Rei Jin, i have seen that build too, in Gestahlt as a full monk/ full warlock
very scary
and do you mind me asking where your name comes from?

Rei_Jin
2007-01-23, 06:12 AM
I don't mind, it comes from a very bad pun for a Dwarven Barbarian I played once. I named him Rei Jin, well, for obvious reasons. Later on he had a brother, named Char Jin.