PDA

View Full Version : Devil Fruit [Ideas Needed]

Adam500
2014-01-15, 03:08 AM
Not sure if this should be here or over in the d20 forum, but since this is technically homebrew I put it here.

Our group is starting up a One Piece d20 game (found here (http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/)) and I intend to be a Devil Fruit user, which involves a lot of homebrew. As I am also supposed to GM a Pathfinder game this week in a homebrew setting... I need help coming up with powers and abilities for this character. By this point if you're at all interested in pitching ideas at me (or even statting up full feats for my perusal) you are probably wondering which fruit I got.

Shio Shio no Mi (Salt Salt Fruit), a Logia type.
For anyone still reading who know nothing about One Piece, this essentially means I have a character made out of salt, and can do anything with his powers involving that, but I have very little time to come up with ideas myself.

Thank you in advance for any ideas pitched.

Doorhandle
2014-01-15, 03:49 AM
Let's see here:

He can make himself popular because he's the salt of the earth.
He could desiccate people or cause salt deficiency in people by sucking salt into/out of them
He could remove salt from water, preventing it from nullifying him.
I'm pretty sure salt's bad for engines as well...

Oh and he'd be an excellent aid to the chef...

Winds
2014-01-15, 09:21 AM
Throwing lumps of salt crystal at the enemy. Or blowing a lot of salt particles at them, which would be both painful and highly distracting.

If he can remove salt from things, he could turn seawater into freshwater. Highly useful in a world that's mostly ocean. For added fun...if he finds a way to efficiently do it to large bodies of water, he nullifies a major weakness. (Devil Fruit users are weak to the sea, not plain water...)

For stranger ideas...Logia-types can generally put themselves back together. If you hide all or part of him in the kitchen of an enemy, he could do all kinds of fun tricks. Not just over-salting food, either.

If he can generate salt as well, he could change into a salt-elemental thing that's much larger than his 'normal' body. Or turn that on its head, and become much smaller for a while.

SowZ
2014-01-15, 09:32 AM
This (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Logia) is likely a valuable resource.

Stevemantis
2014-01-15, 10:10 AM
perhaps you could include something along the lines as warding off the undead or evil. in most cultures salt is said to subdue vampires, witches and other dark creatures.

maybe have something to do about putting salt on a cut

(i just want to point out I don't watch this show that much)

Arcran
2014-01-15, 10:21 AM
Actually, fresh water has the same effect on a DF user as sea water. As long as the majority of their body is submerged in any water they go all hammer. I believe it has come up in a few SBS.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 12:01 PM
If he spreads himself far enough out and then lights a match in a small enough space, it should cause a nasty explosion.

Edit: Also, only standing water robs a Devil Fruit user of their strength and then only if they're knee deep in.

Illieas
2014-01-15, 12:57 PM
well first if you can broaden the definition it out. Most people think of table salt as be all end all but if you go by the chemistry version of salt you get more uses out of it.

You get access to salt peter. combine sucrose basically sugar and fire you get a rocket. so on sugar high.
you could light yourself and do rocket punches

In advance levels and getting the right equipment. you get soru via rocket feet and limited flight.

another is eat some candy and a dye and then blow towards a lighter and you get a smoke screen

Adam500
2014-01-15, 03:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input so far! I'm gonna run down the list of suggestions and comment.

He can make himself popular because he's the salt of the earth.
-This is arguable. Firstly the exact meaning of the phrase is "someone who is of great worth or reliability." which is only tangentially related to popularity. The source of the phrase is actually the bible which talks about being trodden upon if the salt loses it's savor, so... interesting idea, just problematic upon research.

He could desiccate people or cause salt deficiency in people by sucking salt into/out of them
- Actually discussed with GM prior to this post, and its potentially something I'll include as a power, but I'm shying away from it because it was the domain of the Sand Sand fruit (which had a dryness motif) in the anime. Also salt isn't a desiccant like silica, so a little research from my GM (who is a science major) will torpedo this anyway.

He could remove salt from water, preventing it from nullifying him.
- See last recommendation, and as someone pointed out above any water nullifies a DF user if its deep enough.

I'm pretty sure salt's bad for engines as well...
This might be a thing I do. Some ships do have engines (ex. Thousand Sunny).

Oh and he'd be an excellent aid to the chef...
I guess I should look and see if any chef abilities in the OP book are related to the properties of salt and crib some of them.

Throwing lumps of salt crystal at the enemy. Or blowing a lot of salt particles at them, which would be both painful and highly distracting.
Neither of these are terrible ideas, though I wasn't planning on being a ranged combatant. If someone could throw some really rough mechanics on these my GM and I can hash out the rest.

For stranger ideas...Logia-types can generally put themselves back together. If you hide all or part of him in the kitchen of an enemy, he could do all kinds of fun tricks. Not just over-salting food, either.
Hiding in pre-existing salt isn't something I had really considered, it would be abundant on most ships for preserving food as well as flavoring. Not sure I need a feat for this, but I'll talk with my GM over it.

If he can generate salt as well, he could change into a salt-elemental thing that's much larger than his 'normal' body. Or turn that on its head, and become much smaller for a while.
While canonically I don't think Logia types can make themselves smaller, I had discussed using my granular nature to get into small places (through cracks in doors, etc). As for changing into a salt elemental, funny you should mention that. There is a salt elemental in Dark Sun I wanted to crib ideas off of, but I don't own those books and can't find it on the internet. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

perhaps you could include something along the lines as warding off the undead or evil. in most cultures salt is said to subdue vampires, witches and other dark creatures.
Also discussed with the GM, however I think this is one of those fringe cases that wouldn't require a character resource on my part beyond 'I'm made of salt'. In the series they actually use this trick to defeat zombies created by the owner of the shadow shadow fruit, so it has precedent.

maybe have something to do about putting salt on a cut
A quick google tells me that salt is an anti-bacterial, and while this probably causes more pain in the long run it is actually good for the wound if too much isn't used. Nifty if I were the ships doctor, but I'm probably going to wind up as Captain.

If he spreads himself far enough out and then lights a match in a small enough space, it should cause a nasty explosion.
This sounds cool, though potentially disastrous for me being the one exploding. Out of curiosity though whats the basis for this?

well first if you can broaden the definition it out. Most people think of table salt as be all end all but if you go by the chemistry version of salt you get more uses out of it.
Unfortunately being a science major my GM nixed this one out the gate and I am limited to the powers and abilities of plain old NaCl.

You get access to salt peter. combine sucrose basically sugar and fire you get a rocket. so on sugar high. you could light yourself and do rocket punches As mentioned I am chemically only NaCl, however some ability to move via releases of salt has been under consideration.

In advance levels and getting the right equipment. you get soru via rocket feet and limited flight. See above.

another is eat some candy and a dye and then blow towards a lighter and you get a smoke screen If NaCl can do it, sure, but that dosn't seem to be the premise of your post.

A lot of great responses guys! Thanks a ton. Still a few days before the game starts so keep the ideas coming if you feel so inclined.

EDIT: Tossing some other ideas/powers on here for people to mess around with:
- Solidify into a structure of solid Halite. (not sure to what end)
- Since salt lowers the freezing point of water I have either resistance or immunity to ice based attacks

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 04:27 PM
See, just being basic Salt doesn't feel like a Logia type to me, that's a Paramecia. If you're a Logia type, that means you can become all types of "salt".

This sounds cool, though potentially disastrous for me being the one exploding. Out of curiosity though whats the basis for this?

Your Logia Regeneration would protect you from any kind of damage from the explosion. Remember that only specific weaknesses, opposing fruits and haki can hurt you.

As for the basis, you've never heard of Dust explosions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion)? There are several examples of flour mills going completely up because of this phenomena. Fruits like the Suna Suna no Mi should be able to pull this off as well.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-15, 05:18 PM
Making Salt Constructs to fight with (mace made of salt crystals)

Use it like sandpaper, as an abrasive, to strip someone's flesh from their body.

Create salt barriers with a purifying feature to them.

Possibly an ability to negate devil fruit powers by tapping the power of the sea inherent to salt (the reasoning behind why the salt purified the zombies on Thriller Bark)

Lay traps in the form of patches of salt that turn into spikes when stepped on/near.

Hold, Store, and Release heat, salt is great at holding heat and is used as a thermal solar generator in deserts.

Adam500
2014-01-15, 08:03 PM
See, just being basic Salt doesn't feel like a Logia type to me, that's a Paramecia. If you're a Logia type, that means you can become all types of "salt".
Well, good news then! GM says I can maybe take stances to shift between different kinds of salts. This of course opens up a whole load of possibilities.

As for the basis, you've never heard of Dust explosions? There are several examples of flour mills going completely up because of this phenomena. Fruits like the Suna Suna no Mi should be able to pull this off as well.
I hadn't heard of Dust explosions before, though according to the wiki article you linked the dust has to be combustible beforehand. I think that would disqualify NaCl, but certainly another kind of salt could do it.

There was some discussion of this, and the big issue is how brittle salt crystals are. The suggestion was made to stab someone with a salt-dagger and just let it break off in them though.

Use it like sandpaper, as an abrasive, to strip someone's flesh from their body.
Certainly plausible, and a possibility.

Create salt barriers with a purifying feature to them.
Possibly an ability to negate devil fruit powers by tapping the power of the sea inherent to salt (the reasoning behind why the salt purified the zombies on Thriller Bark)
So funny story. I had to mulligan my first rolled Devil fruit (we have a random list) for much this reason. My first fruit had me turning into Soda Water, and there are some weird implications with that (since any kind of water can nullify Devil Fruits). This isn't quite on the same level of 'wtf' as that, but its not something I should push for too hard, and definitely not with that reasoning, or I'll be back at square one again.

Lay traps in the form of patches of salt that turn into spikes when stepped on/near.
I swear there is a spell like this somewhere. Could someone find it for me to take a look at?

Hold, Store, and Release heat, salt is great at holding heat and is used as a thermal solar generator in deserts.
Now this. This has possibilities.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 08:09 PM
As for the basis, you've never heard of Dust explosions? There are several examples of flour mills going completely up because of this phenomena. Fruits like the Suna Suna no Mi should be able to pull this off as well.
I hadn't heard of Dust explosions before, though according to the wiki article you linked the dust has to be combustible beforehand. I think that would disqualify NaCl, but certainly another kind of salt could do it.

What? No it doesn't. Titanium and Aluminum dust can cause a dust explosion. It just needs to be fine particulate matter in a large enough density in an environment with sufficient oxygen.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-15, 09:27 PM
I swear there is a spell like this somewhere. Could someone find it for me to take a look at?

Slash Sand in Sandstorm, it's an alchemical item you can lay down and when someone steps on it, it shreds their foot

The closest of others are Stone Spikes in the SRD, IIRC

There was some discussion of this, and the big issue is how brittle salt crystals are. The suggestion was made to stab someone with a salt-dagger and just let it break off in them though.

Three words: Mister. Three's. Wax. Hard as steel despite wax normally being incredibly malleable and soft (even hard wax is relatively soft) and yet he uses it like a shield to stop bullets and the like. Same principle can be applied to salt.

Adam500
2014-01-16, 01:21 AM
I took a lot of the ideas from here and from my friends playing the game and roughed drafted a few feats. Thought I'd share here since people have been so helpful.

Halite Sekai [ CRAFTING ]
Prerequisites:
Benefit: You are able to make solid constructs out of salt crystal formations. These can be simple geometric shapes, melee weapons, and generally items without complex parts. You can make 10 cu. Ft. per character level worth of material a day in this way. Because these structures are made of salt, water will dissolve them fairly quickly (water based damage is doubled against them), however the constructs are otherwise sturdier than normal salt crystals, possessing hardness of 10, and 30hp per inch of thickness.
Special: You make take this feat multiple times. Each time you do increase the amount of material you can make by a factor of 10 (So 100 cu. ft. /level, then 1000).
Its the fabricate spell on steroids. Might need some rewording.

Salt in the Wounds [ DEBUFF ]
Prerequisites:
Benefit: Getting salt rubbed in your wounds is exceptionally painful, and while it won’t kill you outright it may slow you down. The user may take a -5 penalty to hit on any unarmed attack and if the opponent is hit they suffer the staggered condition on their next turn. Opponents suffering from the bleeding or hemmorage conditions do not require the attack penalty as their wounds are more obvious and easier to land blows on.
This is the one I'm most leery about my GM seeing. Action denial is powerful and we both know it. Open to suggestions for what to cause instead of staggered, but nothing else seemed to fit for blinding pain.

DE-ICER [ STAT BONUS ]
Benefit: The devil fruit user is now resistant to cold based attacks and gains a cold resistance equal to their character level. Additionally the devil fruit user is immune to the ‘Frozen’ status effect and can remove it from other characters as a standard action by placing a layer of salt on them to melt the ice.
This is only seperate from Logia body below because the example in the book seperated it's resistances in the same way.

Logia Body [ STAT BONUS ]
Prerequisites: This feat is gained for free when the fruit is consumed.
Benefit: The devil fruit user is immune to normal physical attacks and can take the form of a mound of granular salt. While in their salt form, their armor is absorbed into them, becoming salt as well. Weapons are left as physical objects and can still be used normally with tentacle-like appendages made from the mass of salt. Due to the crystalline nature of salt they are vulnerable to sonic attacks. Also, the user cannot be tracked by the scent ability due to being odorless.
The meat and potatoes. I swear my GM mentioned the odorless thing to me so I'm running with it.

Salt Knuckle [ DAMAGE]
Prerequisites: Halite Sekai
Benefit: You are able to form solid salt crystal protrusions on your body in order to make your attacks hit harder (ex. Knuckle dusters). Additionally the crystals break off in your opponents. This adds 2 damage to the user’s unarmed attacks, and adds a salt counter to the opponent.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times as you refine the salt protrusions used in your attacks. Each additional instance of this feat adds 2 additional damage.
Salt counters will be used as a mechanic for another feat to induce 'salt poisoning' in opponents.

Halite Jigoku [ ATTACK ]
Prerequisites: Halite Sekai
Benefit: As a full round action the user creates a salt stalagmite about 1 foot wide at its base and up to 10 feet tall underneath a target up to 100ft away (+10ft per character level), who must make a Reflex save DC 14+ user’s level. If it encounters a ceiling before it reaches full size, it stops growing. The stalagmite grows from the ground under the target creature and shoots upward. An airborne creature within 10 feet of the ground gains a +4 bonus on its saving throw, and airborne creatures more than 10 feet above the ground cannot be harmed by this spell.
The stalagmite deals 1d6 points of piercing damage per ccharacter level (maximum 10d6). In addition, a target that fails to make a saving throw against this spell and takes damage from it is impaled on the stalagmite and cannot move from its current location until it makes a DC 15 Escape Artist check, and they receive a salt counter. The victim can also break free with a DC 25 Strength check, although doing this deals it 3d6 points of damage.
A creature's damage reduction, if any, applies to the damage from this spell.
Its the Sudden Stalagamite spell, adjusted slightly to be a feat.

Halite Jigoku Ougi [ MISC ]
Prerequisites: Halite Jigoku, Level 10
Benefit: When you take this feat you may add either 10 feet to the range of Halite Jigoku, increase the save DC by 2, or increase the damage by +1d6.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times; choose one of its effects each time you take it.
Some post-level 10 love for the above ability, which will likely be my characters main mode of ranged damage.

DedWards
2014-01-16, 03:21 AM
Funny thing, my group's running a One Piece campaign, but we're using the Mutants and Masterminds 3E rules. I'm currently at work, so I can't check the d20 system you're using, but I can say this: you should be able to do anything that's even loosly related to your element/substance. Remember, this is based off an anime and since when has an anime kept 100% to how things work in reality?

Lizard Lord
2014-01-16, 03:36 AM
Funny thing, my group's running a One Piece campaign, but we're using the Mutants and Masterminds 3E rules. I'm currently at work, so I can't check the d20 system you're using, but I can say this: you should be able to do anything that's even loosly related to your element/substance. Remember, this is based off an anime and since when has an anime kept 100% to how things work in reality?

Especially One Piece

Adam500
2014-01-16, 02:50 PM
This is true, I just need to be reasonable about my breaks from reality.

Zakaroth
2014-01-16, 04:17 PM
What? No it doesn't. Titanium and Aluminum dust can cause a dust explosion. It just needs to be fine particulate matter in a large enough density in an environment with sufficient oxygen.
This. Kitchen salt (sodium chloride) will not explode. In the case of flour mills, its likely to be caused by high concentrations of finely distributed flour (having a huge burnable surface area) that got in contact with ignition source, which equals an explosion.
This brings a question to mind; when you say salt do you main kitchen salt or salts in general? Because salt is the term that describes an ionic compound, which mean you can go quite broad with abilities and ideas.

The spell you may been looking for might be Sudden Stalagmite. You could also look up spells with the earth descriptor for inspiration. Spells like Mineralize Warrior (self cast only?), Flesh to Salt (instead of stone), saltblast (from stoneblast), etc. If your would gain some of these as sp-abilities, you might get something cool going.

Adam500
2014-01-16, 05:23 PM
If your would gain some of these as sp-abilities, you might get something cool going.

In the system we're using (linked in the first post), every ability (whether from class, career, or DF) comes from feats. I'm aiming to have ~11 feats designed for this fruit's abilities and am over halfway through now thanks in no small part to the forum.

I took a look at all those spells you mentioned. Sudden Stalagmite got adapted into an attack feat called Halite Jigoku (Rock Salt Hell).

I have another feat for the Heat storage idea called 'Heat Battery' but I'm kind of stuck on what to get it to do. Thinking it should be a buff, but not sure to what end.

Zakaroth
2014-01-16, 06:45 PM
Ok, fair enough. So, its themed around "normal" salt (like in sea salt/kitchen salt)? In that case I think you really should reconsider to implement some desiccation-themed abilities, it just matches very well with the salt fluff. You should be able to draw out water via osmosis.
Why something like heat battery? Its not really salt themed. I kind of understand what the idea behind it is, but it is fairly general.

Adam500
2014-01-16, 09:04 PM
Ok, fair enough. So, its themed around "normal" salt (like in sea salt/kitchen salt)? In that case I think you really should reconsider to implement some desiccation-themed abilities, it just matches very well with the salt fluff. You should be able to draw out water via osmosis.
As I said before that was under consideration, and it could still make it in to the final write-up, however I want to hold off on it as a last resort since there is a canon devil fruit with a very similar skill-set.

Why something like heat battery? Its not really salt themed. I kind of understand what the idea behind it is, but it is fairly general.
It was a property of Salt I was unaware of, and I'm fairly certain my group wasn't aware of either. The key thing here is if I can make it do something/sound interesting enough to keep around. Toyed with the idea for having it be my version of 'Gear Second', effectively making it Barbarian Rage but at a duration equal to the amount of heat damage Ive taken. However I'm not sure how I could capitalize on it.
On consideration I could get someone of the Tinker prestiege career to overclock a weapon with heat damage for me, and trigger it that way.

EDIT: Added more feat rough drafts 'Halite Jigoku' and 'Halite Jigoku Ougi' to my post with all the others.

Adam500
2014-01-19, 04:55 AM
I don't mean to double post, but I just wanted to thank everyone for pitching in ideas one more time. Game is tomorrow and I think everything worked out, a good mix of conventional and unconventional uses of my power. When the text is finished being hammered out I'll update the first post with the final drafts and bump the thread one more time for people to see.

Next job: Helping whoever the second devil fruit user (GM is limiting to 2 starting) build their own feats. See you then.