PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Paladin 2/Oracle 1

MobiusHero
2014-01-15, 03:27 AM
I was looking over the Oracle stuff out of boredom and noticed that there are some nice stuff you can get at first level. That got me thinking about taking my third level in oracle and then proceed with my paladin next level. what are some benefits and drawbacks that i might be missing?

gorfnab
2014-01-15, 03:37 AM
This may be of some use: Oradin Mini Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365)

grarrrg
2014-01-15, 10:49 AM
This may be of some use: Oradin Mini Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365)

GAH! Beat me to it.

Gabe the Bard
2014-01-15, 11:07 AM
Battle mystery has some nice revelations. Battlefield Clarity, Surprising Charge, and War Sight can all be used at 1st level, though you won't get the additional uses and benefits that come with higher oracle levels.

MobiusHero
2014-01-15, 01:24 PM
I personally like the Lore mystery, using Cha instead of Dex for AC is just beautiful! I just wasn't sure if there would be any real downsides to classing over. It seems like all good stuff to me. lol

Gabe the Bard
2014-01-15, 03:42 PM
The downsides are lost BAB, fewer hit points, and slower progression of class abilities. The first two are pretty minor if you're only going for a dip, and the importance of the third depends on how optimized you want to be. PF does punish multiclassing a bit more than 3.5 since you don't get that extra favored class option, but again it's pretty minor if you're only taking one or two levels of oracle. I say go for it but just be wise about which curse you select since you won't get all the benefits of the curse that come with higher oracle levels.

Kudaku
2014-01-15, 04:50 PM
GAH! Beat me to it.

You're at the stage where the legend of your creation has become self-sustaining. Savor it! :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2014-01-15, 05:09 PM
I personally like the Lore mystery, using Cha instead of Dex for AC is just beautiful! I just wasn't sure if there would be any real downsides to classing over. It seems like all good stuff to me. lol

The AC isn't the fun stuff. It's the Cha to Reflex/Touch AC. AC becomes quickly very weak but missing +1 BAB hits you harder than you might think. Also consider the drawbacks from the curses.

Cinder Dance from Flame Oracles is good for free movement speed or Temporal Celerity for Initiativ.

grarrrg
2014-01-15, 09:40 PM
I was looking over the Oracle stuff out of boredom and noticed that there are some nice stuff you can get at first level. That got me thinking about taking my third level in oracle and then proceed with my paladin next level. what are some benefits and drawbacks that i might be missing?

Downsides:
As mentioned the hit to Bab is one.
The delayed Paladin features might be an annoyance.
You'd have to select a Curse. Curses range from "big downside, good upside" to "minor effect/minor effect". Lame is pretty popular for those who like Medium/Heavy armor. Tongues is a good 'low impact' curse. Wolfscarred gives you a Bite attack at the cost of all of your spells getting a 20% failure (you don't lose the slot, just the action, so this is perfectly fine for "out of combat").

It sounds like you've already started playing, so taking the Noble Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/noble-scion) feat and nabbing CHA to Initiative is probably not an option. Between Noble Scion, Divine Grace, and CHA to AC from a Mystery it is entirely possible to make DEX a dump-stat.