PDA

View Full Version : If there are two witches in a party...

Beandip
2014-01-15, 07:22 AM
Can one witch cackle another witches hex? How about if there is an enemy witch, does the cackle not care?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-15, 07:51 AM
Can one witch cackle another witches hex? How about if there is an enemy witch, does the cackle not care?

Any creature that is within 30 feet that is under the effects of an agony hex, charm hex, evil eye hex, fortune hex, or misfortune hex caused by the witch has the duration of that hex extended by 1 round.
Bolded for emphases. Since it says "the witch" and not "a witch", I'd say no.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-01-15, 08:19 AM
Albeit it would be pretty awesome to force an enemy to reroll the entire fight or give every ally a nice bonus to hit chance by cackling twice each round.

Sadly the cackle ability doesn't work on every hex within 30ft of the witch, it only works for hexes that the cackling witch cast.

Segev
2014-01-15, 08:33 AM
Am I the only one disappointed that three witches in a party can't all have the Coven Hex and make a Coven by themselves? That they must find a hag (a monster, and thus an NPC or a really-weak-for-her-ECL PC) to be at least one of the members?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-15, 08:42 AM
Am I the only one disappointed that three witches in a party can't all have the Coven Hex and make a Coven by themselves? That they must find a hag (a monster, and thus an NPC or a really-weak-for-her-ECL PC) to be at least one of the members?
While not a Coven as such, witches of any race can add to each other's caster level if they have the have the Coven hex. Since the saves of their hexes depend on CL, this is yet another way to abuse Leadership.
What I think is funny is that the half hag race, Changelings*, actually make pretty poor witches.
*Not to be confused with the 3.5 race

Dalebert
2014-01-15, 12:51 PM

You're not alone. I really don't think they intend for PCs to get those benefits. They're pretty significant, especially if you can get yourself a witchfire. It's not all that hard to do. You can even make one.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-15, 02:29 PM
You could argue that since the Coven hex allows you to count as a hag for joining a coven, you could make one entirely out of witches with the Coven hex.

The witch counts as a hag for the purpose of joining a hag’s coven. The coven must contain at least one hag. In addition, whenever the witch with this hex is within 30 feet of another witch with this hex, she can use the aid another action to grant a +1 bonus to the other witch’s caster level for 1 round. This bonus applies to the witch’s spells and all of her hexes.

Granted, this totally isn't RAI, and is super broken if it works. I hope they can errata it sometime.

You're not alone. I really don't think they intend for PCs to get those benefits. They're pretty significant, especially if you can get yourself a witchfire. It's not all that hard to do. You can even make one.

Yeah, the coven SLAs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/hag) are OP as all hell. No way I'd let the PCs get at-will Forcecage at 1st level.

TiaC
2014-01-15, 02:55 PM

The PF rules for monsters as PCs are all sorts of broken though. A green hag with three class levels has an ECL of 7 and twelve hit dice.

Dalebert
2014-01-15, 03:28 PM
You could argue that since the Coven hex allows you to count as a hag for joining a coven, you could make one entirely out of witches with the Coven hex.

Based on the reading of the hex alone, yes. However, elsewhere (under hags, I believe) it says it takes one at least one hag to form a hag coven and it says it in such a manner as to strongly imply that a coven-hex witch can't fulfill the req't.

Granted, this totally isn't RAI, and is super broken if it works. I hope they can errata it sometime.

It seems broken regardless. What's the benefit of the hex, otherwise? It seems intended to let a witch join a hag coven. They should introduce a power that's only intended to be a perpetual tease.

Kaveman26
2014-01-15, 03:39 PM
I think as raw it allows a three of coven.

Dalebert
2014-01-15, 03:41 PM
I think as raw it allows a three of coven.

A lot of folks here in the forum disagree with you. This came up in a previous witch thread. Zeus help me if I wanted to find that thread now tho!

I was planning ahead for my gravewalker. The idea was to get a witch follower or two with the hex and then make a witchfire with create (greater?) undead. The conclusion seemed to be that I would also need a real hag and that neither the witchfire nor a witch with the hex would do.

Segev
2014-01-15, 03:49 PM
On the up side, a Hag might be a valid cohort for the Leadership feat.