PDA

View Full Version : Rate my upcoming campaign idea & provide tips if you like

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-15, 08:03 AM
So.. for my upcoming campaign i had an idea a bit out of the box...

My Players go away NOW!!!

Ill have my players play themselves.

How i think i ll do it..
Invite them for 1st DnD session, i ll tell them they need not to prepare anything as i l do every preparation needed.

I ll have them choose between "expert" and "warrior" generic classes from UA.
They will start as lvl1, they'r abilities will all be 10 and they ll each have 6 ability points to distribute as they wish (no ability can exceed 13).
They will be called to spent their skill points as close to reality as possible (for example 1 of them is a real life cook.. that is 4 ranks in profession: Cook).

After everything is ready, i describe a situation where as they sit around the table everything blacks out and they wake into a strange land.
They remember Everything they know as real persons. So they are welcome to build a steam engine if they like etc etc...

Main story.. a kingdom is at risk of total destruction.. as their last resort they decide to "summon" entities of advanced knowledge that can help them fight the enemy. (now.. as enemies i think something like endless hordes of barbarians of mixed races.. ). The summon mishaps and instead of summon them into the Castle, they are summoned at a random point near the kingdom.
So now the kingdom race to find them (as they know they are summoned but they don't know where) and players try to survive, find out why this happened and find their way back to "Real Life Plane".

Character's Progression
I m thinking to have them meet at least 1-2 npcs at each level that can train them feats, classes etc... maybe even at level 3 and after allow gestalt.

What i think it will be funny about all these? They will know how DnD mechanics work! They will remember that they can learn a feat called Point Blank Shot! But.. what? they will run around shouting "is any1 here to teach me "eschew materials"?? npc people will thing they r crazy!
Ofc they will catch a brake when they r found by the kingdom (these NPCs knows & understand that these adventurers are not custom to this lands.)

What do you think? Sounds fun? it givs them (and the campaign) endless possibilities.. but will it work?

Feel free to provide any ideas..

PS: 3,5 edition , no homebrew , no mags , no psionics or ToB.
PS2: As far as starting wealth (so they can buy items) i ll let them sell the jewls they wear at the moment, maybe even let them con a trader with these "magic" things that play music and images(cellphones)..

Yomega
2014-01-15, 10:06 AM
Interesting concept personaly I would be carful of porential kick back people tend to play dnd to get away from real life. My group is doing something similar as starting as a lvl 1 commoner in a lvl 0 campain, but they know if they get through it they will be better in the long run.

Let us know how it goes tho :smallbiggrin:

OrlockDelesian
2014-01-15, 10:13 AM
We actually did that a few years back.
The real us, went to Ravenloft.
We had stats and skills as closely as possible to ourselves, and all our character sheets where held by the dm.
SInce we actually did not know how many hit points we had.
We could speculate things from our D&D knowledge such as a wizards lvl by the number of Magic Missiles he created :P and it was fun.
After a while however it did not matter since we had become such high level and we where out of touch with our previus lives.
The campaign lasted for 2 years and it was insanly fun.