PDA

View Full Version : (Ex) "Magic" Items and (Ex) "Spell" Casting...

Rubik
2014-01-15, 08:06 AM
In Ravenloft's Legacy of the Blood there is a feat called Craft Device which allows you to create nonmagical copies of any magic item. Aside from being (Ex) in nature, requiring a (non-magical) fuel source to function (which must be crafted separately), and not requiring knowledge of the spells that are usually needed, the crafting of such items is basically identical to that of the magic items they emulate.

What is the best magic item to simulate to gain full spellcasting and manifesting? What other magic items would come in handy here? Keep in mind that a device can simulate ANY magic item, from a wand of Fireball to a ring of three Wishes.

My two choices (other than the aforesaid ring) would be a psychoactive skin of proteus and a repeating trap of Temporal Reiteration, possibly on armor or on the psychoactive skin.

Jack_Simth
2014-01-15, 08:29 AM
In Ravenloft's Legacy of the Blood there is a feat called Craft Device which allows you to create nonmagical copies of any magic item. Aside from being (Ex) in nature, requiring a (non-magical) fuel source to function (which must be crafted separately), and not requiring knowledge of the spells that are usually needed, the crafting of such items is basically identical to that of the magic items they emulate.

What is the best magic item to simulate to gain full spellcasting and manifesting? What other magic items would come in handy here? Keep in mind that a device can simulate ANY magic item, from a wand of Fireball to a ring of three Wishes.

My two choices (other than the aforesaid ring) would be a psychoactive skin of proteus and a repeating trap of Temporal Reiteration, possibly on armor or on the psychoactive skin.

Staffs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm), Domain Staffs (Complete Champion, I think), Rune Staffs (Magic Item Compendium) and Psi Crowns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psicrowns.htm) come close... although Domain Staffs and Rune Staffs both require that you have spell slots to expend of the appropriate type. UMD can arguably get around that, you can arguably use a charged Rod of Absorbtion to get around that, or you can arguably use Pearls of Power to get around that.

To really do it, though, what you probably want to look up an Artificer guide, and make lots of one-shot items.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-15, 11:48 AM
Get a device which can cast Plane Shift. Now you can reliably get off a null magic plane whenever you want.

Rubik
2014-01-15, 06:57 PM
Get a device which can cast Plane Shift. Now you can reliably get off a null magic plane whenever you want.Interesting idea, for sure. Is there a spell that can override the effects of an AMF or dead magic zone (or plane) if it itself is not turned off? I was thinking Planar Bubble, though a continuous magical Planar Bubble effect (ie, not Ex) would still work, even on a dead magic plane.

[edit] Also, (Ex) Planar Bubble seems to be the only way around the Impeded Magic planar trait.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-15, 08:11 PM
Interesting idea, for sure. Is there a spell that can override the effects of an AMF or dead magic zone (or plane) if it itself is not turned off? I was thinking Planar Bubble, though a continuous magical Planar Bubble effect (ie, not Ex) would still work, even on a dead magic plane.

[edit] Also, (Ex) Planar Bubble seems to be the only way around the Impeded Magic planar trait.

You can pull it off by using a device of at-will Invoke Magic. You just need to throw down a Swift action (plus the fuel, obviously) before every spell you cast.

Or make it a "use activated" deal, where it auto-casts Invoke Magic each time you're about to cast a spell.

Rubik
2014-01-15, 08:23 PM
You can pull it off by using a device of at-will Invoke Magic. You just need to throw down a Swift action (plus the fuel, obviously) before every spell you cast.

Or make it a "use activated" deal, where it auto-casts Invoke Magic each time you're about to cast a spell.Planar Bubble would be considerably cheaper, and it's up to the DM as to whether Invoke Magic works on Impeded Magic planes. Plus, I.M. only works on 4th level spells and below, whereas Planar Bubble would work on any spell.