PDA

View Full Version : How do you interpret the mechanics of a Marshal's aura?

littlebum2002
2014-01-15, 08:59 AM
I'm in the process of DMing my first game, and one of the characters is a Marshal, and of course I've never played with a marshal before so I don't understand quite how they work.

Anyway, I have been treating his aura like bard song: He consciously needs to use it, and it only works in situations where motivating others would not be out of place. For instance, if he is in one room talking to people, and the other characters are in another room, they probably won't get the benefits even if they can hear him.

However, my players are implying that the Marshal's aura is usually treated as being more like the Dragon Shaman's (which, strangely enough, I HAVE played with) in that it is "always on". Which, according to the RAW anyway, it does kinda fit. It says:

Unless otherwise noted, a marshal's aura affects all allies within 60 feet (including himself) who can hear the marshal.

What do you think the RAI on the Marshal's aura is? Is it "always on" like the Dragon Shaman, or only when you consciously turn it on, like Bard Song? I know this is really a "your own opinion" kind of a deal, but I'd like others insights into the matter as well.

Segev
2014-01-15, 09:10 AM
RAW is pretty clear; if a Listen check could reveal the presence of the Marshal to his allies, they get the benefits while within 60 feet.

But you asked about RAI.

Obviously, we can't read the mind(s) of the writer(s) of the class. But I, for one, don't think they thought about corner cases where "hearing" the Marshal might not actually pertain to any sort of bolstering effect. They probably only pictured him in battle, shouting orders and encouragement or simply showing the way to victory and inspiring people with his attitude and leadership.

I don't imagine they intended that his party would get his aura bonus while fighting off a small horde of ninja in an antechamber while the Marshal argues loudly with the Daimyo over trade agreements. They probably intended the Marshal be participating in the combat, not merely be technically audible.

That said, as a DM, if I had this discussion over this scenario and the Marshal's player said, "okay, then, I work coded battle commands and words of encouragement into my debate with the King, since as a battlefield commander my instincts keep me aware of what's going on in my friends' battle," I'd absolutely allow it. That's cool stuff, in my mind, and I, personally, really appreciate Rule of Cool in my games.

Vaz
2014-01-15, 09:14 AM
In a world where wizards can change the fabric of the universe with a swish of their pinky, I think that the sheer knowledge of the Marshal's presence would grant the party those benefits.

hymer
2014-01-15, 09:25 AM
I recall my mother talk about the immense feeling of relief she felt, when she brought her first-born to her own mother. Just stepping into the presence of my grandmother did it. She didn't have to say or do anything, she just had to be there. My sister confirmed this feeling afterwards with regards to coming home to our mother.
I see no problems with the aura being 'always on' (aside from it being RAW). If the guy/gal you trust is there, and can intervene if you need help, your confidence gets boosted. You'll want them to be awake, of course, but if they're within shouting distance, that's all you really need.

Togo
2014-01-15, 09:37 AM
The aura specifically refers to checks that are only made out of combat, such as initiative checks. That only works if the aura is always on. If you insist it takes conscious effort, that's not going to work.

It should be remembered that the marshal comes from the Minature's handbook, which was an attempt to support D&D as a collectible minatures wargame. The class is designed to support other characters on a battlefields, or in a dungeon delve - situations where the party is alert, moving in formation, and being careful where they tread. In that case it makes perfect sense for it to be on continuously, because it's assumed that the party are trading comments or signals to help them move in their desired formation or arrangement, and cross-coordinating their actions with eachother.

If you're in a tavern eating lunch, it's a bit different. Unless you're eating in a defensive tactical formation, taking turns to keep watch on the other patrons.

I'd suggest you fluff the marshal's aura as tactical advice. The marshal's presence in the group gives them an edge they otherwise wouldn't have. If they can't hear the marshal, or if the marshal doesn't know what they're doing, then they shouldn't get the bonus. That doesn't mean he has to be talking all the time, nor does it mean they can't sneak up on someone, but there has to be some extent to which the marshal is helping to coordinate the actions of the party. So I'd let a marshal boost a hide check to hide someone if they're trying an ambush, but not a move silently (because the marshal would give the mover away, and not a hide check made while the party is moving silently, unless the marshal knew in advance that the they would need to hide at that point.

I generally let the marshal boost his own actions in any case. It's hard to stop someone advising themselves.

littlebum2002
2014-01-15, 09:37 AM
In a world where wizards can change the fabric of the universe with a swish of their pinky, I think that the sheer knowledge of the Marshal's presence would grant the party those benefits.

Am I the only one who read this in a movie voice-over voice?

Chronos
2014-01-15, 09:56 AM
The marshal isn't always shouting encouragement, etc., but he can at any moment, as soon as it's needed. So the benefit is always on.

prufock
2014-01-15, 09:59 AM
I think the RAW pretty clearly answers this question. Emphasis added.

Projecting an aura is a swift action. The aura remains in effect until the marshal uses a free action to dismiss it or activates another aura of the same kind (major or minor). A marshal can have an aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of a combat encounter even before the marshal takes his first turn.

littlebum2002
2014-01-15, 10:32 AM
The marshal isn't always shouting encouragement, etc., but he can at any moment, as soon as it's needed. So the benefit is always on.

Right. It says the aura is due to encouraging words from the Marshal, and it says you have to be able to hear him, but it never actually says he needs to be speaking to get the bonuses. So i'll inform my player that I'll quit nerfing his character.

Daefos
2014-01-15, 11:05 AM
Am I the only one who read this in a movie voice-over voice?

Honestly, just starting a sentence with "In a world..." does that to me.

eastmabl
2014-01-15, 01:05 PM
Right. It says the aura is due to encouraging words from the Marshal, and it says you have to be able to hear him, but it never actually says he needs to be speaking to get the bonuses. So i'll inform my player that I'll quit nerfing his character.

Sometimes, striking a balance between roleplaying and mechanics can be helpful.

From an RP standpoint, he should be explaining why his aura turns everyone else up to eleven - either he gives inspiring speeches, cuts an inspiring pose, or through sheer force of personality (or fear). Mechanically though, he shouldn't be punished just for his failure to describe it.

I would encourage my player to describe it and enhance everyone's experience, but sometimes, players don't want to do that.

IAmTehDave
2014-01-15, 01:19 PM
<snip> From an RP standpoint, he should be explaining why his aura turns everyone else up to eleven - either he gives inspiring speeches, cuts an inspiring pose <snip>.

My next marshal:
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131214052045/finalfantasy/images/thumb/3/3d/Hildibrand_ARR.png/220px-Hildibrand_ARR.png
This guy (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hildibrand_Manderville)

A Tad Insane
2014-01-15, 01:26 PM
My next marshal:
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131214052045/finalfantasy/images/thumb/3/3d/Hildibrand_ARR.png/220px-Hildibrand_ARR.png
This guy (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hildibrand_Manderville)

You squandered an amazing opportunity for Major Armstrong, I am disappoint

IAmTehDave
2014-01-15, 01:32 PM
You squandered an amazing opportunity for Major Armstrong, I am disappoint

I...I did. I'm so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/tails311/GIFS/CryingArmstrong.gif

Back on topic: The text says that the auras are the marshal haranguing the party, but honestly I'd say as long as the party members are within the aura distance and not magically blocked (Silence, deafened, etc.) then there's a bit of a mystical connection that the Marshal's presence gives the benefits. As long, of course, as the player says the aura is active.

littlebum2002
2014-01-15, 01:53 PM
Although if Major Armstrong were the Marshal, I think I would rule that the aura is only active when his shirt is off

eastmabl
2014-01-15, 03:52 PM
I would go with Captain Morgan, honestly. In my group, there's no pose more inspiring.

Edit: the image I had in my mind was the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware.

TuggyNE
2014-01-15, 07:40 PM
If you're in a tavern eating lunch, it's a bit different. Unless you're eating in a defensive tactical formation, taking turns to keep watch on the other patrons.

What kind of lame special forces team doesn't do that, though? :smalltongue:

Haggler
2014-01-18, 10:13 AM
Remeber you can actually become better at moving silently by being affected by the marshals aura so I doubt you actually need to hear her, just be able to incase she need to hysh a muffled comand or world or advice. Beside itīs not as if either the class or the ability is so good there is any need to nerf it anyway. Just let just that fact that their brave leader is around be enough to inspier the soldiers to be better.

Togo
2014-01-18, 11:24 AM
What kind of lame special forces team doesn't do that, though? :smalltongue:

This actually came up in a game. We were playing a buffy-style AD&D game, where we were all 1st level apprentices in our various fields. Oswald had been participating in our after-hours adventures very much against the wishes of his parents, who were aristocratic and wanted him in a 'proper' career.

We had trapped the zombies in Oswald's basement, they were too tough for us to kill without getting all cut up and our clothes torn, and then his parents arrived. So we all sat down to a rather uncomfortable formal dinner, and then, of course we hear the zombies escaping. Cue each of us taking turns to escape the room round up zombies, and get back without arosing suspicion.

In that situation the DM ruled that no, we couldn't use the martial aura while in the dining room.

TuggyNE
2014-01-18, 06:40 PM
This actually came up in a game. We were playing a buffy-style AD&D game, where we were all 1st level apprentices in our various fields. Oswald had been participating in our after-hours adventures very much against the wishes of his parents, who were aristocratic and wanted him in a 'proper' career.

We had trapped the zombies in Oswald's basement, they were too tough for us to kill without getting all cut up and our clothes torn, and then his parents arrived. So we all sat down to a rather uncomfortable formal dinner, and then, of course we hear the zombies escaping. Cue each of us taking turns to escape the room round up zombies, and get back without arosing suspicion.

That is the best thing I have heard all week.

Cirrylius
2014-01-18, 07:03 PM
Back on topic: The text says that the auras are the marshal haranguing the party
Great. Just great. From now on I will never be able to picture a Marshal as anything but R. Lee Ermey delivering a blistering stream of expletive-laced criticisms even in the heat of battle.

Oddly enough, in my head it goes well with my image of a Bard who does nothing but sing the Indiana Jones theme song.

littlebum2002
2014-01-19, 01:09 PM
Oddly enough, in my head it goes well with my image of a Bard who does nothing but sing the Indiana Jones theme song.

Thanks alot. Now this is all I'll be able to picture when sometime plays Inspire Courage.