PDA

View Full Version : Elan's Last Name

Turin_19
2014-01-15, 12:39 PM
Ok, everyone, hi!

I have never read the books (I know, shame on me), but I've never seen Elan's last name.

From the human/dwarf race, they all have last names. Now I just realized that I've never seen Vaarsuvius's last name as well.

Do they have them?

Zmeoaice
2014-01-15, 12:43 PM
Potentially, no, since in ancient times people often didn't have last names.

Kish
2014-01-15, 12:45 PM
Ok, everyone, hi!

I have never read the books (I know, shame on me), but I've never seen Elan's last name.

From the human/dwarf race, they all have last names. Now I just realized that I've never seen Vaarsuvius's last name as well.

Do they have them?
Elan doesn't know what his last name is, if he has one. McTarquinson?

No elf has been indicated to have a last name.

Gift Jeraff
2014-01-15, 12:45 PM
He's officially called "Elan the Bard" in some things, including Durkon's sending (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0931.html).

Turin_19
2014-01-15, 12:47 PM
Well, maybe he comes from a part of the Northern region that people have their name attached to their profession.

'Elan the Bard',
'Elan's mother the Bard..tender'

... that was terrible.

Thanks for the info!

Socksy
2014-01-15, 01:26 PM
Well, maybe he comes from a part of the Northern region that people have their name attached to their profession.

'Elan the Bard',
'Elan's mother the Bard..tender'

... that was terrible.

Thanks for the info!

So was Laurin's family just really awful at metalwork, then? Shatter-smith? Or did they re-smith shattered things?

sengmeng
2014-01-15, 01:41 PM
So was Laurin's family just really awful at metalwork, then? Shatter-smith? Or did they re-smith shattered things?

Anything is possible with magic! psionics! Maybe in Ootsverse, shattering is something you can actually smith. I always took it as something to do with her family being psionic, since it's sort of like saying she's a maker of destruction. Maybe "Laurin Worldender" didn't have the right ring to it?

And Elan Tarquinson is awesome.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-15, 04:14 PM
Maybe Laurin got famous for crafting wands of shatter. Or rather the psionic version of a wand, a dorje. :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2014-01-15, 04:44 PM
Elan is Elan Tarquinson.

Tarquin is, secretly, actually Tarquin Anelsson.

FujinAkari
2014-01-15, 06:56 PM
His name is Elan Tarquin.

We don't know General Tarquin's first name, but pretty much every famous general is called 'General <Last Name>'

ORione
2014-01-15, 07:02 PM
I suspect that a few years after the Order saves the world, Elan's last name will become Starshine.

Goosefeather
2014-01-15, 07:36 PM
He's saving it for an emergency (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html).

Taelas
2014-01-15, 08:18 PM
His name is Elan Tarquin.

We don't know General Tarquin's first name, but pretty much every famous general is called 'General <Last Name>'

:smallconfused:

Tarquin is a real name - a first name. There is no reason to assume it's his surname.

There is also no reason to assume that he even has a surname in the first place.

oonker
2014-01-15, 08:23 PM
If I am not mistaken, in the book Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, Elan mentions that he doesn't know his last name, and suggests "maybe McTarquinson?".

But that needs confirmation, I've never read it :(

Kish
2014-01-15, 08:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, in the book Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, Elan mentions that he doesn't know his last name, and suggests "maybe McTarquinson?".

But that needs confirmation, I've never read it :(
Not in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. In Haleo and Julelan.

Passer-by
2014-01-15, 08:38 PM
:smallconfused:

Tarquin is a real name - a first name. There is no reason to assume it's his surname.

There is also no reason to assume that he even has a surname in the first place.

Actually, the name Tarquin was a surname in its origin. There was a whole family of Tarquins in Rome. They were all banished soon after Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, even a friend of Brutus who helped him seize power.

Taelas
2014-01-15, 08:44 PM
Tarquinius was a family name, yes, but Tarquin is more common as a given name than as a surname.

Passer-by
2014-01-15, 08:50 PM
Well, the Giant said he chose it because of the roman guy. That doesn't mean it's a surname either, but until disproven, I like the idea of it being a surname.

yeldarb3456
2014-01-15, 09:07 PM
During one of my flu hallucinations, I was wondering this same question. I wanted to start a party in Icewind Dale based on the OOTS, so I wanted to uses first and last names, but then I realized that Elan and V don't have them!

Everyl
2014-01-15, 10:14 PM
Well, he could obviously go with Tarquinson or something, but Elan never knew his father when growing up, and probably sees little reason to take on his father's name as a surname now. However, it's not entirely unheard-of to take the mother's name as a surname. Which, based on the extent of our knowledge of Elan's family so far, would make him Elan Elan's Momson.

I can see why he'd prefer to go with "Elan the Bard."

DaggerPen
2014-01-15, 10:17 PM
Elan probably does not have a last name, but I am tickled by the idea that Tarquin is the family name, and Tarquin's first name is in fact Anel. That, or Elan's and Nale's mother is actually named Lena.

R. Malcovitch
2014-01-15, 10:22 PM
It's really rather obvious. His full name is Elan son of Tarquin. The land where Tarquin and his first wife lived used patriarchial naming.

The Grim Author
2014-01-15, 10:35 PM
No, no, he's obviously Elan of Townname, because they used toponyms.

Ridureyu
2014-01-15, 11:41 PM
So... how do you dank a shew?

Leviting
2014-01-15, 11:44 PM
I've always thought it was Élan Tarquin, Nale Tarquin, Alen Tarquin, and Lena Tarquin/Elan's Mom.

Ramien
2014-01-16, 12:43 AM
His full name is Elan von Muir, because he needs to be named after another spoony bard (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Chris_von_Muir)

Aron Times
2014-01-16, 03:57 AM
His full name is Elan Morin Tedronai. :eek:

DaggerPen
2014-01-16, 03:59 AM
More seriously, I doubt Tarquin is Tarquin's last name because "Tarkie" is kind of a weird pet name if it is. I'd expect Miron and Jacinda to refer to him by either his first name or a name based on it.

Trillium
2014-01-16, 04:12 AM
Elan's last name is Redcloak. Tarquin in Redcloak's missing niece. Don't ask.

DaggerPen
2014-01-16, 04:17 AM
Elan's last name is Redcloak. Tarquin in Redcloak's missing niece. Don't ask.

... is it sad that the first objection that came to mind was "Redcloak's real name isn't Redcloak"?

Trillium
2014-01-16, 05:20 AM
... is it sad that the first objection that came to mind was "Redcloak's real name isn't Redcloak"?

Of course it is. It is his last name, though earned, not given. But it still spreads to his family. It is even triple-earned - by virtue of bearing the Crimson Mantle, by being recognized as Redcloak by a very powerful entity (Xykon) and by founding Gobbotopia while under such alias.

Taelas
2014-01-16, 07:16 AM
More seriously, I doubt Tarquin is Tarquin's last name because "Tarkie" is kind of a weird pet name if it is. I'd expect Miron and Jacinda to refer to him by either his first name or a name based on it.

Not to mention that it would be weird if Tarquin alone was called by his surname. He calls Miron and Laurin by their given names.

SaintRidley
2014-01-16, 07:21 AM
O'MacFitztarquiningson

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-01-16, 07:58 AM
He might have had to relinquish it or voluntarily abandoned it when he became Sir Francois' minstrel. Or he could be from a small, close-knit town, where he was the only person called Elan, so he's never really had to use his family name.

Or it's really, really embarrassing.

Or it's actually Elan, and his real first name is really, really emabarrassing (Paprikamoonchild or something), or it's impossible to pronounce.

A slightly less pleasant thought is that when she separated from Tarquin, Elan's mother took him, changed her name, including ditching any family names, and did her best to hide so that if Tarquin or his associates decided that he should have custody of Elan as well as Nale, she thought she'd be more difficult to find.

Shred-Bot
2014-01-16, 08:01 AM
Elan's last name is CLEARLY DeGeneres.

Ramien
2014-01-16, 12:59 PM
Not to mention that it would be weird if Tarquin alone was called by his surname. He calls Miron and Laurin by their given names.

That part isn't weird at all. I get called by my last name a lot, even by friends, since my first name is relatively common. Everyone else is first name or nicknamed. (Having a last name that can be a possible first name helps too)

Taelas
2014-01-16, 01:08 PM
Regardless, Tarquin has always struck me as the type to adopt a mononym.

Socksy
2014-01-16, 01:44 PM
Maybe Laurin got famous for crafting wands of shatter. Or rather the psionic version of a wand, a dorje. :smallwink:

If all her dorjes shatter then she needs to find something other than crystal that'll work to make them with :smallwink:

oonker
2014-01-16, 02:08 PM

I call my friends by their last names all the time. And, more importantly, I nickname their last names all the time! So we have pet last names, it's not uncommon...

Gift Jeraff
2014-01-16, 02:17 PM
He might have a really embarrassing first name like "Anel," though I like Alen better.

DrBurr
2014-01-16, 02:26 PM
I call my friends by their last names all the time. And, more importantly, I nickname their last names all the time! So we have pet last names, it's not uncommon...

One of my friend's last name has completely overshadowed his first to the point that my mom thought his name was actually Tom for a whole year.

So yeah its definately not unheard of especially if someone's first name is incredibly common like John, Mike, Matt or Ashley. So maybe Tarquin's name is John Tarquin or something like that.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-01-17, 08:54 AM
Regardless, Tarquin has always struck me as the type to adopt a mononym.
Actually, that's not a bad point - at one point (like Arnold Schwazenegger), he probably thought that some day everyone will know exactly who he is, just by his first name.

And of course, by thinking that, he'd have made sure his sons didn't have family names either, so that when they got mentioned, he'd either get mentioned ("Elan, son of Tarquin"), or people would automatically make that connection themselves.

DeliaP
2014-01-17, 11:34 AM

Well, he could be called Tarkie Tarquin?

And as we don't know Redcloak's name, then Redcloak and Right Eye's real names being Exriadnium Tarquin and Crixdonious Tarquin isn't any more implausible.

Actually Tarkie is short for Tarkylindinicus. The actual cause of the divorce with Elan's mom was when she refused to call then Elaniculostrium Tarquin and Nalexiferous Tarquin, thus defying Tarkie's family tradition.

Joe the Rat
2014-01-17, 02:45 PM
He's saving it for an emergency (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html).It would be very genre savvy of him.

Well, he could be called Tarkie Tarquin? Tarkie Tarq?

Having put a great deal of thought and research into this problem. I have determined what Elan's last name is:

Thiebard.

He leaves out the 'i' because he sucks at spelling.

Wardog
2014-01-18, 01:46 PM
Well, he could be called Tarkie Tarquin?

Tarkie Tarquin, of the McTarquinson clan?

martianmister
2014-01-18, 06:40 PM
Elan Targaryen.

The Grim Author
2014-01-18, 09:24 PM
He has no last name, but when this whole thing is over he will earn the name Elan Boneflayer, master of the thousand arts of destruction and dark god of Snarlworld.

137beth
2014-01-18, 09:33 PM

Maybe his last name is "Bearer of the Crimson Mantle?"

Soon just uses last names when he Smites people.