PDA

View Full Version : Would Tarquin accept it?

KingFlameHawk
2014-01-15, 01:16 PM
I was reading comic #938 and the joke about a sequel series (I know it is not going to happen though) got me thinking.
Would Tarquin accept being the main villain of a sequel, staring the sidekick of the hero of the first series?

Mike Havran
2014-01-15, 01:26 PM
Probably; he would dismiss anything that happened before the sequel as a mere introduction.

Socksy
2014-01-15, 01:28 PM
I was reading comic #938 and the joke about a sequel series (I know it is not going to happen though) got me thinking.
Would Tarquin accept being the main villain of a sequel, staring the sidekick of the hero of the first series?

The sequels' bosses (in games based off D&D (Baldur's Gate and the like)) are almost always more powerful and dangerous than the original bosses, partly because of power creep, and partly because the party often starts at a higher level. In books and stuff, threats seem to escalate as time continues, too.

So I wouldn't think he'd mind too much.:smallsmile:

Jay R
2014-01-15, 04:46 PM
He's always been so good at accepting compromise so others can achieve their goals too.

BaronOfHell
2014-01-15, 05:06 PM
The sequels' bosses (in games based off D&D (Baldur's Gate and the like)) are almost always more powerful and dangerous than the original bosses, partly because of power creep, and partly because the party often starts at a higher level. In books and stuff, threats seem to escalate as time continues, too.

So I wouldn't think he'd mind too much.:smallsmile:

I never liked that in a Diablo game, Diablo was no longer the final boss once you got the expansion.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 05:53 PM
No, Tarquin wouldn't want any sequel unless it revolved entirely around him. However, he has graciously approved of this title:

Springtime for Tarquin

Cirin
2014-01-15, 05:58 PM
No, Tarquin wouldn't want any sequel unless it revolved entirely around him. However, he has graciously approved of this title:

Springtime for Tarquin

Congratulations, you made me genuinely laugh out loud at that one.

Hmm, maybe that'll be the version of Tarquin's tale that gets told. He'll be remembered all right. . .as a punchline.

He'll get the bardic immortality he wants, but not as a conquering warlord who oppressed a continent or who was defeated by his own son. . .but as the butt of a great comedy act!

Lombard
2014-01-16, 12:15 AM

Springtime for Tarquin

Rather calling to mind Malack's little plan for more efficient sacrificing of the populace.. :smalleek:

Alignment
2014-01-16, 01:09 AM
Probably, but that doesn't mean he'd ever acknowledge that he used to not be the main villain.

Boring McReader
2014-01-16, 01:43 PM
Were OOTS to get a sequel, I forsee Tarquin getting pushed to the side by the other members of his group. He'd still be a major obstacle for the heroes to overcome, but he wouldn't get top billing unless he went through major character changes as a result of his terrible ending. Or he could pull a Gollum and get one brief moment at the top right before everything collapses. He's damaged his credibility too much to get an easy ride back to top villain status.

He'd jump at the chance, though.

veti
2014-01-16, 08:29 PM

Tarquin vs. Banjo?

No. No, I don't believe he'd go for it.

Kish
2014-01-16, 08:33 PM
Tarquin would be really unlikely to be the main villain of a sequel.

If, hypothetically speaking, Rich wrote a sequel to OotS, the villain would probably be someone who overshadowed the hero(es) in the same way Xykon overshadows the Order and the Fire King overshadowed Rich's players in that campaign he wrote about. Not someone they already left humiliated and frightened in the desert.

137beth
2014-01-16, 10:19 PM

If, hypothetically speaking, Rich wrote a sequel to OotS, the villain would probably be someone who overshadowed the hero(es) in the same way Xykon overshadows the Order and the Fire King overshadowed Rich's players in that campaign he wrote about. Not someone they already left humiliated and frightened in the desert.

Pretty much. Viable candidates for the main villain of a hypothetical sequel might include TDO, another god (whichever one had the idea of making goblins xp fodder), the IFCC, or the snarl, depending on how those subplots are resolved. Tarquin isn't anywhere close.

Ghost Nappa
2014-01-17, 10:35 AM

Unless it's not THIS Order of the stick but some group of Level 3 adventurers from the Empire of Blood whom Tarquin would pretty succinctly dominate in a fight.

Socksy
2014-01-17, 12:24 PM
You mean like Roy's third-level Fighter friends? :D