PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Chasing someone

Anium
2014-01-15, 04:01 PM
In a game i'm playing as a lvl 11 wizard, i need to find a rogue that stole something , i only have a name, a direction and a blurry image. I'd like to know ways to find him. I have summon monster, plannar binding(and leeser planar binding) and teleport. My wizard is LN and has prepared the circle of protection vs Evil, but i'd prefer to summon a good aligned outsider that hates thiefs if possible. I know he is around 200 miles of the city i'm right now(probably around half of that). Any ideas would be very welcome.

The Grue
2014-01-15, 04:14 PM
No need to summon an outsider. A name and a likeness gives a net +3 to the rogue's already poor Will save to resist Scrying (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/scrying), or a net -2 if you've met the rogue personally. I'm sure another Playgrounder can give some ways to bring that Will save down further. Once you've scried out his location, Teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/teleport) directly to it, rolling on the "Studied Carefully" mishap table because you can currently see the location(through Scrying) at the moment of casting.

Anium
2014-01-15, 04:36 PM
I don't have it on my spell list, and from what i know, he is protected from divinations.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-01-15, 04:40 PM
Since he's immune to scrying you could attempt to follow his tracks using a creature with the "scent" special ability. It is very useful when tracking enemies that can't be scryed, especially if they don't have any means of flight.

Anium
2014-01-15, 05:02 PM
Wouldnt i need something from him to follow the trail?

TheMonocleRogue
2014-01-15, 05:34 PM
Taken from the MM

"A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom (or Survival) check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10 (no matter what kind of surface holds the scent). This DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility."

By tracking with sense of smell, the DC of the scent trail is always set at 10 initially, so you can follow it without having to resort to the Track feat which applies to trails with a DC higher than 10 (plus creatures with scent usually have the track feat). You can also track in poor visibility and on any surface.

Moving at half your speed while tracking is usually negated through having a higher movespeed or making track checks at a penalty. It is for this reason that wolves make excellent trackers due to their 50ft base speed and bonus to tracking by scent.

One other thing to mention is following a scent only requires a direction and does not require a specific article with the rogue's scent, so just follow the scent trail from where the rogue was last seen and you're set.

Alefiend
2014-01-15, 05:39 PM
Is he likely to still have the stolen item? If so, he will have to put it down sometime, at least to sleep, bathe, or relieve himself. You can scry the object through any of the normal means.

Anium
2014-01-15, 05:56 PM
The item stolen is a 50lb big magic mirror, so it's probably ona extradimensional space, the rogue is protected from divinations and he is ahead of me, so using track is probably a bad idea. I know where he is going so i'll probably just teleport there and do an inverse search. The problem is, i'm alone, and he probably isnt, so i have to find him and kill him. Maybe some infernal dog(nessian wardog?) could find him for me with so little information?

Renegade Paladin
2014-01-15, 06:17 PM
Taken from the MM

"A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom (or Survival) check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10 (no matter what kind of surface holds the scent). This DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility."

By tracking with sense of smell, the DC of the scent trail is always set at 10 initially, so you can follow it without having to resort to the Track feat which applies to trails with a DC higher than 10 (plus creatures with scent usually have the track feat). You can also track in poor visibility and on any surface.

Moving at half your speed while tracking is usually negated through having a higher movespeed or making track checks at a penalty. It is for this reason that wolves make excellent trackers due to their 50ft base speed and bonus to tracking by scent.

One other thing to mention is following a scent only requires a direction and does not require a specific article with the rogue's scent, so just follow the scent trail from where the rogue was last seen and you're set.
This is Pathfinder; the Track feat doesn't exist.

The Grue
2014-01-15, 06:29 PM
I don't have it on my spell list, and from what i know, he is protected from divinations.

If you're a level 11 Wizard, you have it on your spell list. If you don't, you're not a level 11 Wizard. If you mean it's not in your spellbook...again, you're a Wizard, this is not a problem. Get a scroll and write it in, though this isn't going to help, admittedly, if he's protected from divination. Do you know how he's protected? Is it an actual effect like Nondetection(which you can overcome with a caster level check), or is it blanket DM Fiat protection?

You indicate you suspect he'll have companions. Do you know this for sure? Do you know anything about these companions? Are they also protected from divinations?

Anium
2014-01-16, 03:51 AM
True, i think you gave me de key, he is moving with a caravan, what i know is that a higher level wizard(the one the guy stole the mirror from) tried to scry and use divinations on him and all of them failed. I know the name of the caravan's leader, so i'll scry on him.

SassyQuatch
2014-01-16, 04:28 AM
True, i think you gave me de key, he is moving with a caravan, what i know is that a higher level wizard(the one the guy stole the mirror from) tried to scry and use divinations on him and all of them failed. I know the name of the caravan's leader, so i'll scry on him.
If that doesn't work you should check the local stables, and ask the stable boys if they saw the caravan. Stable boys are great at remembering horses and should be able to give you ebough info to scry on one of them.

Only the most paranoid person on the planet would protect every animal in their caravan from divination. Maybe the people, but not the livestock.

TuggyNE
2014-01-16, 04:29 AM
You indicate you suspect he'll have companions. Do you know this for sure? Do you know anything about these companions? Are they also protected from divinations?

Everyone forgets this, but to be protected from divinations, you have to make sure that any person or thing your enemies might associate with you is similarly protected. (And that's not even dealing with contact other plane, which is just about impossible to stop.)