PDA

View Full Version : Non mechanical issues

Orannis
2014-01-15, 04:23 PM
Hello all,
I am usually the DM for my group of friends and for the first time in 5 years I actually get to play for a change. Mindful of all the tricks and loopholes I learned while DMing I consciously made a decision to avoid the worst mechanical excesses that I have been fielding for years. The problem I ran into while playing (in three games, my cup runs over) is that I play in a very non mechanical way. I want to know everything and I immediately start trying to make economic and political maneuvers to improve my and my party's position in the world. By that I mean I ask for information on weather, crops, trade goods, minerals available, craftsmen who can work these raw materials and the like. On the political front I pick sides and not only give token aid but try to build a popular support, I gather information, I use knowledge checks (local, history, nobility, what have you) to try to position myself and my team in a way that would be most advantageous. I will not bore you as my question is this; Is what I am doing too over the line or am I just playing the game as it should be? I ask this because literally all three groups are divided on this point. I am more active in social actions, I take a backseat in combat (personal preference), and I want to use the craft and knowledge skills to their fullest extent. should I tone it down and let those running games get used to the usual murder hobo motif or should I keep doing what I am doing? Having run several games I am only doing what I hoped other players would do so I am VERY conflicted.