PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5/Pathfinder] Help with an encounter

Monstropolis
2014-01-15, 05:28 PM
Before I begin here if your in a campaign where the GM's initials are NA, stop and leave this thread.

This area intentional mostly blank

Moving along, I'm currently GMing a custom Pathfinder camapaign with 6 players. They are 3rd level right now and I'm following WBL pretty closely.

Here they are in no particular order:
A half elf sword and board fighter that's board is stronger hitter then his sword at the moment.

After failing to become a bard, he joined on as a mercenary. He is currently granted leave after being rescued from an ork camp that had taken him and a few others prisoner. He's now heavily scarred from the torture he received while imprisoned. He currently plays the overly cautious and crass type, and does it well.
- Ideas for mental issues stemming from this would be great.

His bardic brother that has embellished their exploits (also half elf).

Following in his brothers footsteps he succeeded where the other failed. Now he aims to increase his brothers reputation despite his protests, often leaving out others or crediting his brother instead.
- Ideas for the repercussions of his rash storing telling welcome.

A Kitsune rogue, cursed by a 5 year old.

Alright you came here to find out about the curse, in reality it's a contract that both the rogue and the cleric accidentally signed. Now they are bound by strange magics. Both the rogue and the cleric have been displaced from their homes when the contract was made. Will post the full contract some other time.

A Tiefling Cleric of Abadar, cursed by a 5 year old.
Read the Rogues details
An Aasimar Druid.

Aided in the rescue of the fighter and is currently hunting down her sister, another druid, that joined up with the orks.

A Human Sorcerer that was formerly noble until he goofed.

Did a spectacular fireworks during a wedding that slightly burnt the bride, family disowned him.

Through one situation or another, the party has found itself participating in a circus ran by Night Court Fae. For those not in the know, the Night Court aren't nice people. They are to do one full day of performing, if they live, they may take an item of their choice from the previous participants that never left (wording intentional). I'm now stuck trying to make this encounter as interesting as possible. I'm spoilering my ideas so that this post doesn't become a giant wall of text, and people can go through this quickly.

- First is the actually performances, with circus themes their are many options provided. The implementation of them is the crucial part.

- Tight rope over sharp objects, balance checks to stay on, and performance checks to keep the crowd pleased and not throwing things at them.
- Two balancing boards over a deep pit, where two performs "play" fight each other. One of the party members is scripted to fall into the pit, so the question is asked: do you break the performance? Or risk a painful fall? I haven't decided what would be better.
- Gladiator pit against random other duelist. Simple gladiator rules from Ultimate Combat.
- A dance routine. A dance performance where characters follow a routine and are given some free range to do their own tricks, maybe weave some magic.
- Animal taming - Get a random beast to do some tricks for you. Wouldn't have even considered this with out the druid, but don't know how to do this.

- Second is motive. Why would the circus have them as performers for the day?

My first idea was that Fae enjoy watching mortals perform. As to them such things are not permanent, but to a mortal it could lead to true and permanent death.

Second ideas is a bit more convoluted. I'm thinking that they are going to unwittingly perform a ritual during the performance. The performance can only be done by a group of people only once ever, and the night court are trying to circumvent that with performers.
The ritual creates a golem that resembles the performers (this one will be a bit odd), with the personality composed of the performers. The golem is perfectly loyal to it's creators, and the night court wish to acquire more of them.

- Third is resolution, what can the players do to solve this predicament.

First is kind of obvious, perform, and do it really well.

Second I have may involve some good fae performing a strike on the circus as soon as my second idea comes to fruition.

I need more of these, having only two options is too rail roadie for my tastes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, opinions and ideas.