PDA

View Full Version : Help me reward a player by rebuilding an old character

PotatoNinja
2014-01-15, 06:38 PM
Hello playground! i am rewarding a veteran of a campaign i am running by allowing the playground to optimize her character for her.

The following are guidlines: Any books. Assume Human build with 18/18/14/16/12/11 stats.

Level 12.
The most Sneak attack die possible (priority 1)
Highest BAB possible.
We would like to have access to as much initiator content/maneuver/stances as possible in the build with a little guidance on which ones to pick up for an assassin/bruizer type character. This may mean simply having feats to pick up stuff on the sides. Bonus points for any assassinesque spellcasting that can be crammed in there.

Also i recall there being feats that allowed characters to sneak attack stuff like undead and plants. Those were part of her build as well.

This character did have shadow walk 3/time built into the character as a boon i gave her for some epic stuff, so maybe pounce/ shenanigans are in order.

Sorry if this is a little disjointed, currently multi tasking like crazy, but i think that covers the basics in the character we are redesigning.

Xerlith
2014-01-15, 07:23 PM
Ranger1/Warblade2/Duskblade3/Suel Arcanamach3/Unseen Seer2/Abjurant Champion5/Swordsage4

Ends up with a BAB of 17, same CL, Sneak attack of 8d6+20 (Hunter's Eye from Advanced Learning + Assassin's Stance + Craven), full Suel casting (autoextended), Abjurant Champion stuff.

Human with Able learner, highest stat Charisma, then Dexterity, Con, Int, Strength and Wisdom last.

Feats: Able Learner at 1st, must haves are Shadow Blade and Craven. Also Iron Will, as it qualifies her for Suel.

A big downside - you actually get Sneak Attack only from the spell, extreme late bloomer. Sadly.

If you rule that Shadow X line of Shadow hand maneuvers qualifies for Telflammar Shadowlord, then a

Swordsage 8/Telflammar Shadowlord4/Assassin1/Unseen Seer2/Abjurant Champion5 has 15 BAB, 15 CL (translating to +5d6 SA from Hunter's Eye, as above), 9d6+20 SA damage + shadowpounce. Suboptimal as hell though.

It seems that a Shooting Star Mystic Ranger5/Dark hunter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a) 1/Abjurant Champion5/Swordsage1/Mystic Ranger+5/Swordsage+3 would enjoy a Ranger Caster Level equal to 25 at 20th level.
At 12th the CL equals 15, meaning +5d6 Sneak Attack from hunter's Eye. +2d6 from Assassin's Stance, +Character level from Craven. You lose only two points of BAB (Dark Hunter 1 and Swordsage 1), but have to invest into two suboptimal feats to take the PrCs.

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 4/Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler +11
Thanks to Daring Outlaw you can have full rogue SA on a full BAB class. Swordsage dip for an additional 2d6 from the Assassin's Stance. Overall it gets 12d6+20 SA on 20th, at 12th it'll be 8d6+12.

Factotum8/Swordsage4.
Full build: Factotum8/Swordsage8/Warblade4. Bunch of stuff. 16 BAB. 3rd level spells. Tons of standard actions.

Craven is your feat of choice for SA. 1d6 sneak attack translates to 3.5 points average. Craven essentialy gives you two Sneak Attack dice every seven levels.

Assassin's Stance is a must have with Swordsage. +2d6 Sneak Attack damage and qualifies you for Shadow Blade, which adds your Dex to damage.

Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride and Shadow Blink are awesome for a shadowpouncer.

Tomorrow I'll review my builds and probably redo them to actually make sense.

PotatoNinja
2014-01-16, 12:32 AM
Those all look pretty good! Thank you.

Rizban
2014-01-16, 05:39 AM
My only real input is the Rogue ACF from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that allows sneak attack against immune creatures.

Xerlith
2014-01-16, 09:10 PM
Okay, after some thinking, I suppose I can add this:

Cloistered Cleric1/Swordsage1/Duskblade3/Unseen Seer2/Abjurant Champion5/Swordsage+3/Jade phoenix Mage 2/Sneak Attack Fighter 3

Feats:
Human: able learner
1st: Persist Spell
3rd: Divine Metamagic Persist
6th: Alternate Source spell
9th: Practiced Spellcaster

Cloistered Cleric gives us Knowledge domain which we exchange for Knowledge Devotion
Unseen Seer 2 gives the Duskblade the Hunter's Eye by the Advanced Learning. Alternative Source Spell lets you cast it as a divine spell, then you persist it.
Abjurant Champion 5 sets the Duskblade caster level at your BAB, so we then use Full BAB classes to finish the build.
The Swordsage lets you grab the Assasin's Stance at 13th level. Jade Phoenix Mage lets you use all skills untrained and gives a +2 bonus. Sneak Attack Fighter tops the build with a +3 BAB and +2d6 Sneak Attack.

BAB: 17, Caster level 17. Practiced Spellcaster feat pushes this up to full 20CL a 20th. Mystic Phoenix Stance then bumps it up by one when appropriate - offsetting the Alternate Source penalty.

The Karma Beads let you cast divine spells at +4 caster level, so we use them when Persisting Hunter's Eye.

Sneak Attack damage
Seer: +1d6
Assassin's Stance: +2d6
SA Fighter: +2d6
Hunter's Eye at 24th CL: +8d6
Craven: +20

Overall: 15d6+20 at 20th level.

Then we add the fact that you can channel the Shocking Grasp for additional 5d6 damage or/and burn the Duskblade slots to power Arcane Wrath.

This build is slightly MAD, but if you allow Nightsticks it can manage without a high Charisma.
Wisdom can be safely left at 10. Intelligence and Dexterity are the utmost priorities.
I take it you can move the rolls around, if not the build is, well... Kinda borked.

And yes, I know it's a build for someone else, I'm just saying "you" for simplicity.