PDA

View Full Version : barbarian games

Jgosse
2014-01-15, 07:29 PM
What kind of compatitions would barbarians have at a festival?

molten_dragon
2014-01-15, 07:38 PM
What kind of compatitions would barbarians have at a festival?

I'm guessing it would be mostly feats of strength. Wrestling, weight lifting, Caber tossing, the kind of stuff they do in the world's strongest man competitions. Maybe also some stuff that tests a barbarian's class skills. Competitive climbing maybe, Swimming competitions, Jumping contests. Maybe something that tests handle animal or survival (though I'm not sure what that would be).

Jgosse
2014-01-15, 07:57 PM
that's about what I was thinking. so I guess these would be just str and skill checks?

Scow2
2014-01-15, 08:18 PM
There's a lot more than that... beer drinking, drunken antics, poetry reciting saga-telling, singing competitions, crafts... lots of stuff!

G.Cube
2014-01-15, 08:21 PM
Check out the fluff section (I forget which exactly) of Goliaths in RoS, it has descriptions of a few different common competitions Goliaths are known to have, and would fit the fluff for a barbarian festival quite well.

Rastapopolos
2014-01-16, 01:08 PM
Gnome shot-put?

Speed reading! - first one to read a word gets a suprise! (its explosive runes:smallbiggrin:)

Suteinu
2014-01-16, 02:05 PM
Have you seen the most recent Conan the Barbarian movie? At the beginning there is, as a test of young manhood, a foot race through deep snow and forrested terrain (endurance, balance, climb jump). Each contestant holds a small egg in his mouth, that must be whole upon finishing the race (+X DC's). Add to that the anything-goes approach to dealing with your fellow racers and you have a great barbarian contest, with lots of checks and lots of room for creative mayhem.

Also, look-up the Native American games in old Boyscout manuals (Order of the Arrow in particular). There's one that comes to mind: two contestants, facing each other, grasp one staff between them, each using both hands. Each player must get their end of the staff to touch the ground without allowing their opponent's end to touch the ground. This could be any combination of Strength and Dexterity checks, Balance, Reflex saves, even opposed attack, trip, or disarm checks. Play it a few times yourself to see what you think would be appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Azoth
2014-01-16, 03:21 PM
Axe throwing, stick fighting, obstacle course, eating competitions, animal fighting, rugby...

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-16, 03:52 PM
Check out the fluff section (I forget which exactly) of Goliaths in RoS, it has descriptions of a few different common competitions Goliaths are known to have, and would fit the fluff for a barbarian festival quite well.

THIS!

I was going to say it. But rad cube here said it first so I can only strengthen his post.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-16, 04:09 PM
I would totally include Buzkashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi).

in which horse-mounted players attempt to drag a goat carcass toward a goal. Traditionally, games could last for several days, but in its more regulated tournament version also has a limited match time.

Players in a less-regulated competition will also whip and beat each other to make them drop the goat, and also to dismount them while they're leaning off their horses to pick it up.

BeholdenCaulf
2014-01-16, 06:15 PM
It seemed obvious to me but no-one has pointed it out, wrestling would most definitely require grapple checks and pin attempts following the rules in the PH, other options would probably require strength checks, however there are things you can do to mix it up such as a tug-of-war with opposed strength checks with a bonus applied for a successful use rope check. Think about other skills that a contest could be made out of and do the same, climb for example.

Also remember that barbarians also pride themselves on dexterity so think about DEX based activities also.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-16, 06:20 PM
Rage fest? They all rage together.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-16, 07:03 PM
"Bar-fighting"

G.Cube
2014-01-16, 07:15 PM
Rage fest? They all rage together.

The most metal of all the mosh pits, with music played by Bardbarians.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-16, 10:08 PM
The most metal of all the mosh pits, with music played by Bardbarians.

Featuring the most famous Bardbarian Bands like Shocks n' Troopers and Megapummel.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-17, 02:29 AM
THIS!

I was going to say it. But rad cube here said it first so I can only strengthen his post.

GOATBALL!! WHOO!!