PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Help with my funky Healer

Dunsparce
2014-01-15, 07:35 PM
In one of the campaigns I'm in, I decided to be a healer because I always liked the fluff of it. I decided to go with Human for the bonus feat and skill points. My party also consists of a male Dwarven Monk who thinks he's Fisto from Masters of the Universe, a male Dwarven Fighter who plans to take Dwarven Defender, and a female Goblin Beguiler. Now as you can see with have no kind of magic offense outside of Whelm and Whelming Blast from the Beguiler and Sanctified spells for myself. The DM allowed me to have Use Magic Device as a class skill, and be eligible for Radiant Fire (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-destiny--81/radiant-fire--2349/) Which I plan to take at level 6.

This is my character thusfar(we're at level 4):
STR: 7
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 16
WIS: 18
CHA: 18

Skill Points:
-Maxed out Concentration, Heal, Knowledge: Nature, Knowledge: Religion, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device,
-5 cross-class ranks in Decipher Script
-Healing Hands and Collector of Stories skill tricks

Feats:
-Magical Aptitude
-Skill Focus: Use Magic Device
-Skill Focus: Heal
-Spontaneous Healer

As you can see, I went all-out with the UMD thing, And the DM throws Scrolls and Wands in my direction enough that I can use it. I know it's crazy unoptimized, but it functions.

Now Mantenna(yes, another Masters of the Universe reference) is basically a Healer that worships Pelor and has an odd fixation on devices of the magical variety. While I have the level 6 feat decided already as mentioned earlier, I need help with deciding what feats to choose after that. Nothing overly cheesy, and progression-wise I plan to stay healer because our group doesn't do crazy complex class dips, although material from pretty much any source is allowed, even Dragon Magazine. I need ideas for fun feats up to level 18 at least,

nedz
2014-01-15, 08:17 PM
Doing anything with a Healer is hard.

I notice that you can do a lot of summoning spells, so you should be able to power the Summon Elemental Reserve feat ( Complete Mage, p 47)

This would give you an elemental you should be able to do something with in most situations.

Dunsparce
2014-01-16, 07:25 AM
Doing anything with a Healer is hard.

I notice that you can do a lot of summoning spells, so you should be able to power the Summon Elemental Reserve feat ( Complete Mage, p 47)

This would give you an elemental you should be able to do something with in most situations.

Good Idea. I guess the Radiant Fire feat opens up the doorway for stuff like that.

I admit I'm a pretty big fan of the Healer class, even through they're pretty awful.

I'm glad the DM is allowing me to have things they normally can't have, it allows me to do something when someone isn't begging for heals(which admittedly happens a lot in the group when the main damage dealers are both martial classes, but there are moments where I have nothing to do in a fight)

Dunsparce
2014-01-17, 09:54 AM
Are there any good feats for healing that Healers qualify for that don't become completely useless over level 10? I was thinking of working to get Mastery of Day and Night, I know the Mass Cure spells are generally useless but with that feat and the fact that Healers get them a spell level before Clerics might make them slightly less useless.

roguemetal
2014-01-17, 10:11 AM
Quicken Spell is a must.

In DragonLance there's a feat called "Dynamic Priest" which sets your casting to be based on CHA, meaning you don't need to worry about MAD.