PDA

View Full Version : What is a good PF module/adventure?

Vhaidara
2014-01-15, 09:36 PM
So, I am thinking about DMing for my group on the weekends that our usual DM is not present. However, my last attempt at DMing was a rather abyssal failure that resulted in my replacement with the current DM (I was on the voting to replace me, no fear).

My biggest problem is that I tell stories. The reason it's a problem is that I write them too. So, I wanted to go for a premade module.adventure path where my job is just to run the enemies.

With that in mind, I also want to experiment with Pathfinder material. My group is dominantly 3.5, but we have recently started to backport some stuff (skill checks, upgrading fighter, etc).

I wanted to run Kingmaker (I loved the version that was added to NWN Diamond Edition, though mostly for the characters), but looking at it, it seems to cost around $100 for the full adventure path

So, can anyone recommend a good (ideally free or at least cheap) module/adventure path that is PF compatible and capable of being run with a group of 4? We usually start at level 3, but we could swing level 1. Ending can be wherever, this game would happen at most once a month.

Alefiend
2014-01-15, 09:50 PM
You're not likely to find adventure paths for free—that's like asking for a free copy of a rulebook. (Yeah, I know most of the rules are on the PFSRD, but you know what I mean.) Your best bet for cheap is to try to get some used AP books or magazines.

If you really don't want to spend money, you could look for actual-play podcasts or forums, and reconstruct the adventure from what you discover there.

Vhaidara
2014-01-15, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I figured free was optimistic, but cheap is also an option. Kingmaker just seemed a little excessive. My price range would be close to $20-$30, which lets me one part of Kingmaker. And I don't actually know how enjoyable this version is, since, like I said, the one I played that I loved was awesome because it had some of the best characters I've seen.

Axinian
2014-01-15, 10:07 PM
Well there are some free Pathfinder modules you can get for free on their site (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/modules/freeRPGDay). You won't find adventure paths that way, but Hollow's Last Hope and Revenge of the Kobold King are connected (though you'll have to buy the 2nd part of the trilogy, Crown of the Kobold King).

Another trilogy of adventures that are pretty good is: Crypt of the Everflame, Masks of the Living God, City of Golden Death. These are slightly cheaper than they were originally.

You're not gonna get an Adventure Path without slappin' down some money though. However, the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tc0?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Anniversary-Edition) is cheaper than buying all the modules separately if you go for that one.

At least, though, the PDFs of all these things are significantly cheaper than buying the print copies. So that's probably the way to go for you. Kingmaker is a good choice though. Very highly acclaimed and probably worth it to own in paper.

Bigbeefie
2014-01-16, 01:04 PM
You can always download them fro free via other sites like Pirate bay.

Best adventure paths for pathfinder are:
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition, Wrath of the Righteous, Reign of Winter, and Skulls and Shackles are all very good Adventure paths.

But My favorite has been Rise of the Runelords. It was the Hardest combat wise my group had faced in a Premade Adventure Path. It went from Levels 1-18 with our group of 4 PCs.

Kudaku
2014-01-16, 01:21 PM
The We Be Goblins modules are free and though I haven't had a chance to play the second one, the first one is absolutely hilarious.

For full adventure paths you're going to have to pay though - I believe APs is the primary revenue source for Paizo.

Karoht
2014-01-16, 06:57 PM
Carrion Crown is decent. First book is haunts and undead. Second book involves essentially placing Frankenstein's Monster on trial. Third book is Lycanthropes. Haven't read much further than that, about to start running it soon.

Reign of Winter is... ugh. Okay, I loved the story and how it connects to early 1900's Russia, Rasputin, Babba Yaga, and a few other pieces of Russian folklore, but the encounters were not well tuned and gave next to zero loot for the first 3 books. Fourth book was an inverse. All easy encounters except for the rare spikes of difficulty (You could roll a random encounter involving a CR17 and a CR15, your party by that point is 11 or 12) and it RAINED loot on us. Book 4 literally made up for the lack of loot in the first 3 books, at that point in the campaign we had finally matched WBL. And according to our DM, we found every scrap of stuff worth money, even stuff that wasn't supposed to be worth money.

If you want a challenge, Reign of Winter is properly tough in the first 3 books. If you want something easier (but not faceroll easy), Carrion Crown is pretty decent.

My advice, buy the books (or PDF's) two at a time. Every time you finish a book, see where the group is at before you buy another.