PDA

View Full Version : "Belkar will take his last breath before the end of the year"... But *which* year?

Geordnet
2014-01-15, 09:48 PM
The Oracle lives in the Southern Continent after all; Roy's predicted "deadline" could very well be based on the wrong calendar. And with less and less time to go, (2-3 weeks by my reckoning) that's becoming a distinct possibility (barring some anticlimatic death on New Year's Eve).

So, what do you guys think?

mootoall
2014-01-15, 10:02 PM
The Giant did specify that it would be a year relative to the time of the prediction, regardless of the calendar used. So 365 days, or 52 weeks, or 12 months.

NerdyKris
2014-01-15, 10:06 PM
The Oracle lives in the Southern Continent after all; Roy's predicted "deadline" could very well be based on the wrong calendar. And with less and less time to go, (2-3 weeks by my reckoning) that's becoming a distinct possibility (barring some anticlimatic death on New Year's Eve).

So, what do you guys think?

It's been a year since the fall of Azure City. Even if you go by the Northern calendar, then it's been over a year. Belkar's prophecy is imminent. Regardless of the calendar, it's closing in on a 365 days since the prophecy was made.

zimmerwald1915
2014-01-15, 10:15 PM
It's been a year since the fall of Azure City. Even if you go by the Northern calendar, then it's been over a year. Belkar's prophecy is imminent. Regardless of the calendar, it's closing in on a 365 days since the prophecy was made.
If the Book 5 timelines people have been throwing around are accurate, Belkar has somewhere around thirty days left before he croaks. These thirty days, judging by how long it took the last day to play out, could conceivably play out over the course of six thousand strips. They probably won't, of course, but it's a pretty thought.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 11:42 PM
Yeeeeeeep, it's about time when we find out that the prophecy was nothing more than a ruse, to create a faux self-fulfilling prophecy, in which Roy would make decisions that got Belkar killed - because he though Belkar was going to die.

Any strip now! Just waiting so I can go "Aha! I told you so!" ...either that or I'll eat my hat. Too bad for you I don't wear hats.

Gift Jeraff
2014-01-16, 02:42 AM
The Oracle is using the Southern calendar. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8569129#post8569129)

Tebryn
2014-01-16, 02:44 AM
Yeeeeeeep, it's about time when we find out that the prophecy was nothing more than a ruse, to create a faux self-fulfilling prophecy, in which Roy would make decisions that got Belkar killed - because he though Belkar was going to die.

Any strip now! Just waiting so I can go "Aha! I told you so!" ...either that or I'll eat my hat. Too bad for you I don't wear hats.

Get some BBQ sauce. You're going to need something to wet that hat.

Lizard Lord
2014-01-16, 03:01 AM

I'll buy you a a rather large and fuzzy hat for the occasion.

factotum
2014-01-16, 03:01 AM
If the Book 5 timelines people have been throwing around are accurate, Belkar has somewhere around thirty days left before he croaks.

The Oracle never said that Belkar would live exactly a year from the time of the prophecy, he said he would die before the year was out. Therefore, he could die at the beginning of the next strip and it would still fulfil the prophecy--we can't say "Oh, he definitely has 30 days left" even if those timelines are perfectly accurate.

Trillium
2014-01-16, 03:49 AM
Let's not feel bad for Belkar. It doesn't matter how many years - or days - you live. It is how many strips that time takes. Who can say that ten years packed into a single frame are better than a day of half a hundred strips?

The Kind Knido
2014-01-16, 07:06 AM
He already has died. We're looking at the new Belkar now.

Keltest
2014-01-16, 07:59 AM
The Oracle never said that Belkar would live exactly a year from the time of the prophecy, he said he would die before the year was out. Therefore, he could die at the beginning of the next strip and it would still fulfil the prophecy--we can't say "Oh, he definitely has 30 days left" even if those timelines are perfectly accurate.

Tagging every statement about how long he has left with "at most" is annoying. Its assumed people understand what is meant.

kiapet
2014-01-16, 09:45 AM

Didn't the Oracle make it an official prophecy? I'm not sure he can lie in his special trance-text. And even if he could, it could make Roy more likely to try to protect Belkar so he can be useful as long as possible.

Kish
2014-01-16, 09:48 AM
My advice is, don't bother trying to talk WindStruck out of it. Just buy him a hat.

WindStruck
2014-01-16, 10:08 AM
My advice is, don't bother trying to talk WindStruck out of it. Just buy him a hat.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png "That's the beauty of it all, my friend. If I win, I get the hugest bragging rights ever. If I lose, I get a bajilliion hats."

Kish
2014-01-16, 10:23 AM
WHICH YOU HAVE TO EAt.

Shale
2014-01-16, 10:36 AM
I would like to introduce you to my newest product, a hat made out of delicious waffles.

Jay R
2014-01-16, 11:40 AM
He has seven weeks from this moment (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), according to somebody who lives in that world and therefore have an easier time counting the days.

marq
2014-01-16, 12:33 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png "That's the beauty of it all, my friend. If I win, I get the hugest bragging rights ever. If I lose, I get a bajilliion hats."

Ha. This is the best response. Well done.

Geordnet
2014-01-16, 01:28 PM
The Oracle is using the Southern calendar. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8569129#post8569129)

2.) The Oracle is using the Southern calendar in his prediction to Roy. Meaning that the "seven weeks" Roy talks about is the time until the new New Year, exactly one year from the celebration seen back in Azure City.
Ah, that answers my question. Thank you.