PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] Gambling System - Kisen's Watch

autumn_embrace
2007-01-22, 09:28 PM
The idea hit me while rolling and creating my Complete Scoundrel sorcerer. She has a pseudodragon companion named Kisen.

The system emulates a blackjack style card game, but only two cards are in play. You can throw out one card. Card values are based on d10 rolls. For instance: Player One rolls 2d10 and comes up with a five and a six. His total would be 11. Player Two rolls a 4 and an 8, yielding 12. Both players can now choose to reroll one of the d10s, and take whatever roll that is. Better or worse.

The watch part of the name has a roleplay meaning, and a method by which fairness would be determined. In this case, Kisen would be watching whoever plays against my character's cards, covertly. But normal playing would involve 4 players. 2 who play, and 2 who watch to make sure everything is fair.

Ideas?

cferejohn
2007-01-22, 09:33 PM
So are you trying to get the highest total? Or is it like blackjack where you are trying to get to a certain total but not over it (15 seems like it would make sense in this case). Can 1's count as 1 or 11?

Maybe you get something special for doubles? I would think it would make sense to say you could split them.

Out of curiosity: what does the [PEACH] identifyer mean?

autumn_embrace
2007-01-22, 09:36 PM
The best roll would be 20, I'd think. If I made the target 15, bluff/sense motive checks could be used to make the other person try a reroll to get closer.

PEACH is "Please Examine and Critique Honestly."

cferejohn
2007-01-22, 10:06 PM
The best roll would be 20, I'd think. If I made the target 15, bluff/sense motive checks could be used to make the other person try a reroll to get closer.

And that's a bad thing?

That makes the game very uninteresting from a strategy point of view. The right option is always to reroll your lowest die. You really may as well just have both players roll D20, flip a coin, or any other sort of 50/50 chance.

Ways to change this:

*Like poker, allow for a round of betting after the first roll and after the "draw". The other player could call, raise, or fold to this bet.

*Like blackjack, have one die be revealed to the other player (though you'd still have to have some way of betting again, otherwise this information doesn't matter, you'll still just reroll your lowest die if you're going for 20).

This sounds like it is played against another person, rather than the house so my split rule doesn't make sense. If you change it to be played against a house, you can allow splitting and doubling a la blackjack (though without busting being in the mix, players will have an advantage over the house with these rules, so that's probably not going to work either unless you change it to "over 15 is a bust").