PDA

View Full Version : So I am going to be doing a panel on Dungeons and dragons.

Jgosse
2014-01-15, 11:40 PM
I have recently become a member of the planning comity for a sci-fi and fantasy convention. Most of the people on the convention comity run panels at the con and so I need to come up with a panel if I want to show the comity I am serious.

So I am thinking that I want to do a panel on a beginners guide to Dungeons and dragons. I will only have 25 minutes so I am trying to figure out what I should I talk about. Any ideas?

Crake
2014-01-15, 11:52 PM
I have recently become a member of the planning comity for a sci-fi and fantasy convention. Most of the people on the convention comity run panels at the con and so I need to come up with a panel if I want to show the comity I am serious.

So I am thinking that I want to do a panel on a beginners guide to Dungeons and dragons. I will only have 25 minutes so I am trying to figure out what I should I talk about. Any ideas?

Talk about designing fun and interesting characters, as I think that's one of the most important parts of dnd, that many people skip over when they get overwhelmed by the plethora of reading they think they need to do. Remember that sometimes DMs are new as well, so talk about world design for new DMs, run an overview of the In-Out or Out-In design strategies in the DMG, how to run a smooth game, running pre-made adventures, things like that.

satorian
2014-01-16, 12:06 AM
Write on what it is to discover the feeling of role playing, and compare and contrast it to computer games. Also, er, only complaining because you wrote it so many times, but there is a difference between "comity" and "committee"...

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-16, 12:19 AM
The main appeal of D&D, in my mind, has always been that it is, essentially, a whole world where you can do whatever you want with your character. Do you want to solve problems with dialogue, be a community leader? That's possible. Want to lead from the front, wield a big sword, drink every night, and party 'til dawn? That's possible. Do you want to study at a monastery, pray five times every day, and try to encourage those around you to be more virtuous? Possible.

The sheer range of creativity that is possible in most role playing games dwarfs that of computer games and other more linear narratives that are pre-constructed to flow in a certain way. Moreover, by allowing for a vibrant group dynamic waaay before cooperative video games, D&D and its ilk created an immersive story in which everyone had a role and a stake.

Finally, for those of us that DM, D&D provides an exercise in creativity that is pretty much without par in my experience. Every session, I arrive with a vague idea of what is going to happen, a few plans, and maybe a couple npcs and encounters set up. But will I use any of that? It's not entirely in my control, and if one of the players has their character toss one of the quite-frequent curve balls, it's improv time. Frankly, these days, with my group of ardent anarchists creative geniuses, I make almost no plans, present a basic idea of what the story suggests they might spend time doing, and then let them do whatever they please. The results are usually more interesting than anything I could have planned. Truly an instance of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Togo
2014-01-16, 07:31 AM
Try working out if the main thrust is going to be D&D as an example in a discussion of what is roleplaying, D&D as a roleplaying game compared to other roleplaying games, or D&D as an influence on fantasy and science fiction in general.

With only 25 mins, you're going to have to be very very brief. Three panels members to be introduced, plus settling down time and a brief introduction will eat most of your time, as will questions. In all seriousness with a panel of three you'll end up with only 3-5 mins per panel member, and time for maybe three brief questions. Decide in advance what you want to say, limit it to maybe 2-4 talking points for the entire thing, and make sure the panel is pre-briefed to focus on bringing a different perspective to whatever you want to say.

Jgosse
2014-01-16, 08:14 AM
With only 25 mins, you're going to have to be very very brief. Three panels members to be introduced, plus settling down time and a brief introduction will eat most of your time, as will questions. In all seriousness with a panel of three you'll end up with only 3-5 mins per panel member, and time for maybe three brief questions. Decide in advance what you want to say, limit it to maybe 2-4 talking points for the entire thing, and make sure the panel is pre-briefed to focus on bringing a different perspective to whatever you want to say.

I am not sure where you got the idea there are 3 Panel members but I am going it alone.

Well from what people have said I think I will try something like this.

Introduction
D&D vs MMORPG's and other sandbox RPG's(WOW and Dragon Age)
Creating fun and interesting characters
and etiquette.

Dalebert
2014-01-16, 02:51 PM
I am not sure where you got the idea there are 3 Panel members but I am going it alone.

Probably from the definition of "panel".

pan·el noun \ˈpa-nəl\
: a group of people who answer questions, give advice or opinions about something, or take part in a discussion for an audience

: a group of people with special knowledge, skill, or experience who give advice or make decisions

: a group of people who are chosen to be jurors

Trasilor
2014-01-16, 03:35 PM

Well from what people have said I think I will try something like this.

Introduction
D&D vs MMORPG's and other sandbox RPG's(WOW and Dragon Age)
Creating fun and interesting characters
and etiquette.

You do realize you are only talking about half the game? Where are your DM topics? One of the biggest difference between table top and computer games is that there is a DM at the table, while computer games the DM is the programmer.

Some DM topics you might want to include.
Creating Interesting Settings or Campaigns
What it means to be a DM
DMing: The delicate balance between playing with friends and mass murdering characters

eggynack
2014-01-16, 03:56 PM
Eh, screw all of that namby pamby crap. Do the whole 25 minute panel about nothing but solid fog. You could totally fill up a panel with that, though perhaps a short introduction on fogs, along with some discussion of freezing fog, could fit in as well. Maybe not though, cause solid fog is such a dense spell.

BeholdenCaulf
2014-01-16, 06:25 PM
I always find using the words "interactive story" always helps people who can't quite get thier head round it understand a bit better.

Focus on it being like a vivid story that can be changed by the decisions of the players as well as what the DM writes.

As for the rules I think it goes without saying just to cover the core rulebooks.

Emphasising the strategy of battle and the use of a grid/tiles etc. and miniatures and the importance of the dice would also help an audience differentiate between the game and some people just sitting around playing makebelieve :)