PDA

View Full Version : Food Recently discovered that I enjoy fish, what are some good ones?

Starwulf
2014-01-16, 12:57 AM
So, for all my life, I've disliked eating fish(I have tried it). My wife recently cajoled(well, not so much cajoled as put down a plate of it and told me to eat it cuz that's all I was getting) me to give it another try because "Your tastebuds change every so often"(I believe she cited every 7 years). She made me a cajun spiced Tilapia, and I actually really enjoyed it, so much so that I asked her to make me another piece(it was only a small piece she made, lol). So, now that I've found that I do actually enjoy the taste of fish(for now I"ll likely stick with the cajun spice, before I give another flavoring a try), what are some other types to try?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-16, 01:31 AM
Hmm, salmon tends to handle richer spices than most fish, and tastes a bit different. I made a baked salmon once with crushed garlic, ginger and slices of lemon and orange placed between the the fish halves and wrapped loosely in foil. The result? Pure awesome.
Shrimp are yummy in creamy curry, and I had some fried red snapper at a sea-food place once. Very tasty.

Tebryn
2014-01-16, 01:51 AM
Eel. Eel is the best, there's no compromise. Try you some.

Serpentine
2014-01-16, 01:53 AM
Swordfish is amazing but ethically horrible.

Salmon is good. I use cumin, pepper and plenty of salt, and char-grill it. It's okay if salmon is slightly pink in the middle, if it's fresh.

Trout and bream are also great, especially freshly caught and put on the BBQ wrapped up in foil with lemon slices and maybe sliced onion, tomato and/or ginger.

I don't know whether you have it where you are, but deep fried flathead fillets are pretty great too.

Flickerdart
2014-01-16, 01:55 AM
Smoked salmon is the best thing that exists, and anyone disseminating information to the contrary is probably trying to sell you something. It doesn't need spice, just eat it on bread or in sushi or something.

BWR
2014-01-16, 03:00 AM
Most food fish are pretty good if prepared properly. The 'if' is the important bit. If you're unfortunate like many people around here were and ate boiled-to-death cod several times a week you would dislike fish even if it's good and prepared properly.

Halibut is very good. Lightly poach, serve with a slice of lemon on top, potatoes, cucumber salad and and melted butter.

We usually do salmon or trout marinated in lemon juice, black pepper, chili pepper and often coriander. It works, if not quite as well, for white fish like cod or pollock too.

Smoked salmon/trout is very good but you have to be careful about what sort you get. Most of the commercial stuff I've come across is pretty lousy compared to good (read: expensive) stuff. Edible, but not as good as it should be. My uncle has made real smoked salmon on occasion and it's an entirely different beast than the store-bought stuff.
Actually, that only applies to Norwegian/Swedish smoked salmon. I don't know what it's like elsewhere. Traditionally served with bread and scrambled eggs.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-16, 03:16 AM
Salmon with Italian breadcrumbs - it's crispy but not super-crispy, it's garlicky but not super-garlicky, it's rich but not too rich... it's just really really good. Particularly with some sour cream and chive mashed potatoes to back it up, and maybe a side salad.

My mom makes it so I'd have to bother her for the recipe, but I know she's told me in the past that it's incredibly easy to make.

SiuiS
2014-01-16, 03:27 AM
Try the bachelor special! Take a piece of fish, place it on tinfoil, and pour in olive oil, add some pepper and garlic salt and a spice blend you like, and wrap it up with a steam spout. Pop it in the oven at 350° for about fifteen minutes, unfold and eat!

... Now my mouth is all watery T~T

inexorabletruth
2014-01-16, 04:23 AM
Cod, Snapper, Trout, Salmon and Swordfish…

Not necessarily in that order. Haddock is good too, if you like a milder flavor.

Also some alternative delicious deep sea options:

Caviar
Eel
Soft shell crab
Lobster
Crayfish (especially if you like cajun)
Alligator (also if you like cajun)
Muscles
Oysters
Clams

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-16, 04:49 AM
Try the bachelor special! Take a piece of fish, place it on tinfoil, and pour in olive oil, add some pepper and garlic salt and a spice blend you like, and wrap it up with a steam spout. Pop it in the oven at 350° for about fifteen minutes, unfold and eat!

... Now my mouth is all watery T~T

I am so trying that <o.O> That sounds really good.

Serpentine
2014-01-16, 06:02 AM
Eel. Eel is the best, there's no compromise. Try you some.
Eel is good, but I don't think I'd put it forward as a general fish that nearly everyone is likely to like. It's quite oily, and I can see that putting a lot of people off.

You might like to check out local information on sustainable fisheries, if you worry about that sort of thing (and it is a big problem that's threatening to turn into a world-wide disaster). Australian example (http://goodfishbadfish.com.au/?page_id=1621), UK version (http://www.goodfishguide.co.uk/).

cobaltstarfire
2014-01-16, 06:23 AM
I don't tend to like fish unless it's sushi. But I have liked these fish, I dunno if any of these are really available commercially since my only experience with them is having caught them, and eating them fried.

Fresh Water fish

Sand Bass (white bass), and Crappie are both pretty good, one of them I don't personally like, but I'm not sure which since the guy that cooked the fish got them mixed up. One was rather fishy, and the other was not really fishy and quite light and tasty.

Salt/Brackish
Red Fish (red drum) is pretty good, or at least that's what child me would say, I haven't had any in a long time though.

The Succubus
2014-01-16, 06:27 AM
I really dislike salmon. It has a horrible flavour and texture to me. Trout can be nice and a well seasoned tuna steak is really frigging tasty. P=

Skeppio
2014-01-16, 06:36 AM
I love both tuna and salmon. I mostly have canned tuna for sandwiches, and salmon on sushi. Absolutely delicious. :3

Ravens_cry
2014-01-16, 08:09 AM
I really dislike salmon. It has a horrible flavour and texture to me. Trout can be nice and a well seasoned tuna steak is really frigging tasty. P=
I like salmon, but fresh trout, as in, just caught yourself, pan fried in butter, with a little sauce made from glazed pan, holy mother, few things are better.:smalleek:

Serpentine
2014-01-16, 08:18 AM
So in the course of my education I have dissected a lot of things. Cane toads, rats, flying foxes, worms, you name it.
But the best thing I ever dissected was trout. Fresh rainbow trout, huge ones, caught just that morning. We basically just gutted them really slowly and carefully. Our lecturers said that if we wanted to, when we were done, we could take the fish home and eat them. I was the only one who took them up on that offer, and I don't understand why :smallfrown: I wish I'd taken more, they were sooooo good P:

warty goblin
2014-01-16, 10:54 AM
Swordfish is amazing but ethically horrible.

Salmon is good. I use cumin, pepper and plenty of salt, and char-grill it. It's okay if salmon is slightly pink in the middle, if it's fresh.

Salmon is also ethically pretty bad. The wild populations are overfished, and farm-raising salmon is an ecological nightmare.
[/QUOTE]

Smoked salmon is the best thing that exists, and anyone disseminating information to the contrary is probably trying to sell you something. It doesn't need spice, just eat it on bread or in sushi or something.
Nah, the best way to do salmon is a big cut of fresh Pacific King salmon wrapped in foil with lemons, dill, and 'cooked' over a low fire outdoors until the outside is kinda done, and the inside is a few degrees above raw.

valadil
2014-01-16, 11:53 AM
I don't generally like fish. I'm down with squid and octopus - the texture is entirely unfishlike. Salmon patties (aka burgers) are fine as is tuna salad. If those don't trigger my disgust for the flavors of the sea, you'll probably be fine with them.

Serpentine
2014-01-16, 12:28 PM
Salmon is also ethically pretty bad. The wild populations are overfished, and farm-raising salmon is an ecological nightmare.
According to that Australian fish guide, the Australian salmon is okay. But yeah, there's a whole lot of iffy stuff there, and buying seafood ethically is a minefield :/

Palanan
2014-01-16, 12:53 PM
Thus far no one's mentioned catfish, which is hands-down one of my favorite fishes. My specialty is Karachi Catfish, which has been very well-received by family, friends, and my local gaming group.

As Serpentine and warty goblin have mentioned, 21st-century seafood is an ethical minefield as well as an ecological tragedy, and for much the same reasons. Wild-caught salmon has many issues with it, but farm-raised salmon is a disaster in every way, and I'd strongly recommend avoiding it.

Farm-raised catfish, oddly enough, is less ecologically awful than many other species--and since I have a lot of practice at cooking it, this has been my staple fish for years. I use a whole spectrum of spices from Karachi, and if the catfish itself is fresh and sound then the meal usually turns out very well. (I usually combine it with Trader Joe's naan bread and Sabra hummus for a Middle Eastern/South Asian spread.)

For more information on the best seafood to try, for reasons of both ecological and personal health, I recommend taking a look at the information from Seafood Watch (http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx), a program of the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Research Institute. Maryland is considered part of the Southeast (who knew?) for purposes of their regional seafood guides (http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx), which are quick and handy references.

warty goblin
2014-01-16, 01:20 PM
According to that Australian fish guide, the Australian salmon is okay. But yeah, there's a whole lot of iffy stuff there, and buying seafood ethically is a minefield :/

Hence my rule of thumb: eat seafood no more than once a year.

Serpentine
2014-01-16, 01:36 PM
Hence my rule of thumb: eat seafood no more than once a year.
The situation is bad, but it's not quite that dire if you're careful, and seafood is very good for you.
The Australian guide I linked to (http://goodfishbadfish.com.au/?page_id=1621#GFBF Favourites) reckons these ones are all sustainable at the moment, at least in Australia:
Abalone (farmed)
Australian Herring (Tommy Ruff)
Australian Sardine
Australian Salmon
Bream
Bonito
Crabs
Leatherjacket
Luderick
Mackerel
Mahi Mahi
Mullet
Mussels
Octopus
Oyster
Squid and Calamari
Tailor
Threadfin
Trevally
Whiting

You have no idea how glad I was to see bream on there, and mahi-mahi are ridiculously fun to catch if you get an opportunity. I'm sure my dad will be pleased to know that whiting are safe, they're his favourite.

Speaking of which: dunno whether you have those up there, but whiting are glorious if lightly battered and fried in butter. Large fresh sardines are quite good butterflied and crispy-fried as well.

Starwulf
2014-01-16, 06:44 PM
Thankfully I could care less where my food comes from, I'm not one of those types of people(nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing to be passionate about, more power to you. to me, there are a bajillion things more important to worry about then where my foods coming from).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I now have not only a lot of different types of fish to try, but a few different ways to try them.

What are(out of the ones given, and others as well I guess) the least fishy tasting of all? Apparently, according to my wife anyways, Tilapia is one of the least fishy tasting fish there is, which might be one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much.

Also, no Eel. I can't even look at those things without wanting to vomit, lol. Nasty!

Karoht
2014-01-16, 07:53 PM
Basa. If you like Tilapia, you'll like this stuff. It's lighter and buttery. It's also hard to cook it wrong. Chili, lime, and butter are awesome with this stuff.
Flounder of any kind. Sole for example. All very similar to Tilapia.
Halibut. Think of Tilapia if it were a bit heavier, but more mild on the flavor. I recommend lemon and lots of it. Slightly tougher flesh (these things are brutally strong, and they get big, so the meat gets tough), yet easy to ruin with too much marinade.
Haddock and Pollock. Most of the Fish and Chips places (IE-Joey's Only, if that exists where you are) use these two.
Cod. Like Tilapia but heavier and slightly woodier.

If you are out at a sushi place/japanese restaraunt I recommend trying the following:
-BBQ Eel (Unagi) or Unagi Roll. Trust me, eel doesn't taste anything like how it looks. The skin is crunchy and salty, the meat is like a hybrid of fish and chicken.
-Tuna Steak or (may also be called) Tuna Tataki. It's flavor is somewhere between pork and beef, it's very meaty.
-Spicy Tuna Roll, if you're a fan of spicy food that is. It won't be potent, it should be only mildly spicy, but it gives the tuna some richness.

Relevant question, are you a fan of crustatians normally? Shrimp, lobster, crab, etc? Have you tried squid or octopus?

Also, freshness really matters. The fresher it is, the less 'fishy' it tastes.

Credentials: 6 years of ocean fishing in various parts of the johnston straight (where the killer whales migrate through every year), and chances are good that if I've eaten it, I've caught it at some point.
Also, you know that show Deadliest Catch? Been there, done that too.

Tebryn
2014-01-16, 09:12 PM
Eel is good, but I don't think I'd put it forward as a general fish that nearly everyone is likely to like. It's quite oily, and I can see that putting a lot of people off.

You might like to check out local information on sustainable fisheries, if you worry about that sort of thing (and it is a big problem that's threatening to turn into a world-wide disaster). Australian example (http://goodfishbadfish.com.au/?page_id=1621), UK version (http://www.goodfishguide.co.uk/).

Over fishing for eel is indeed a major major problem, it doesn't change how they taste :smalltongue: It just means that eating it should be done in serious moderation.

Starwulf
2014-01-16, 09:49 PM
Basa. If you like Tilapia, you'll like this stuff. It's lighter and buttery. It's also hard to cook it wrong. Chili, lime, and butter are awesome with this stuff.
Flounder of any kind. Sole for example. All very similar to Tilapia.
Halibut. Think of Tilapia if it were a bit heavier, but more mild on the flavor. I recommend lemon and lots of it. Slightly tougher flesh (these things are brutally strong, and they get big, so the meat gets tough), yet easy to ruin with too much marinade.
Haddock and Pollock. Most of the Fish and Chips places (IE-Joey's Only, if that exists where you are) use these two.
Cod. Like Tilapia but heavier and slightly woodier.

Basa sounds interesting, I'll have to see if I can find any of that around here. Sadly, there aren't really any major "fish markets" around here(nearest town pop is 1k, biggest after that is 100k, but I've never seen a place that specifically sells fish outside of sushi restaurants). The others all sound decent(though for some reason my wife says no on the Sole, so I'll have to trust her judgement on this one, since she knew that if I was going to like any fish it'd be Tilapia, and she says Sole is one she disliked), so I'll have to look around for some of them.

If you are out at a sushi place/japanese restaraunt I recommend trying the following:
-BBQ Eel (Unagi) or Unagi Roll. Trust me, eel doesn't taste anything like how it looks. The skin is crunchy and salty, the meat is like a hybrid of fish and chicken.
-Tuna Steak or (may also be called) Tuna Tataki. It's flavor is somewhere between pork and beef, it's very meaty.
-Spicy Tuna Roll, if you're a fan of spicy food that is. It won't be potent, it should be only mildly spicy, but it gives the tuna some richness.

I will NEVER eat raw fish. The very idea of eating ANY meat raw is a massive turnoff. I don't even eat steak unless it's well done. If I even see pink, I send it back.

Relevant question, are you a fan of crustatians normally? Shrimp, lobster, crab, etc? Have you tried squid or octopus?

Shrimp, but only breaded, I've tried it normally, and just couldn't get into it(and this was recent, so I know my taste buds haven't changed in any significant way since I last tried it). I honestly can't remember the last time I gave crab a chance, and I've never in my life had lobster. Oddly enough, I have tried squid, albeit when I was about 7 years old. I remember it being very rubbery.

Also, freshness really matters. The fresher it is, the less 'fishy' it tastes.

Credentials: 6 years of ocean fishing in various parts of the johnston straight (where the killer whales migrate through every year), and chances are good that if I've eaten it, I've caught it at some point.
Also, you know that show Deadliest Catch? Been there, done that too.

Really wish I lived in a place where I had access to a fish market. Would be nice to try fresh fish so I don't have to endure the "fishy"ness of it, lol. I've tried catfish I caught myself, but nothing my wife and I tried(washing it, soaking it in vinegar, washing it again) could get rid of the overwhelming "river fish" taste of it.

warty goblin
2014-01-16, 10:00 PM
Man, I haven't had raw tuna steak in years. Simply amazing stuff.

Karoht
2014-01-16, 10:04 PM
Basa sounds interesting, I'll have to see if I can find any of that around here. Sadly, there aren't really any major "fish markets" around here(nearest town pop is 1k, biggest after that is 100k, but I've never seen a place that specifically sells fish outside of sushi restaurants). The others all sound decent(though for some reason my wife says no on the Sole, so I'll have to trust her judgement on this one, since she knew that if I was going to like any fish it'd be Tilapia, and she says Sole is one she disliked), so I'll have to look around for some of them. Basa is usually found in the chain supermarkets. Cod is also quite common there too. If you live within driving distance to a Costco, you could do worse than buying 15 bucks worth of cod or basa or tilapia, and having some friends over to help you finish it off in one night. Or, buy some ziploc sandwich bags, portion out a few pieces in each bag, freeze them that way.

I will NEVER eat raw fish. The very idea of eating ANY meat raw is a massive turnoff. I don't even eat steak unless it's well done. If I even see pink, I send it back.Tuna Tataki is often still rare in the middle. BBQ Unagi and Unagi rolls are cooked. Dynamite rolls have a piece of tempura battered shimp or squid in the middle, I can assure you that is cooked properly.

Shrimp, but only breaded, I've tried it normally, and just couldn't get into it(and this was recent, so I know my taste buds haven't changed in any significant way since I last tried it). I honestly can't remember the last time I gave crab a chance, and I've never in my life had lobster. Oddly enough, I have tried squid, albeit when I was about 7 years old. I remember it being very rubbery. Well, 'couldn't get into it' is still a step up from 'Ew, gods thats awful' so there is that. Lobster is like a sweet and buttery flavored tilapia, but with a texture much closer to that of Shrimp. A bit fluffier though. Softer. Then you dip chunks of it into garlic/wine butter. Squid is tougher than shrimp, but if it is cooked properly, only slightly so. It shouldn't be rubbery per se, but it definitely has some tooth to it. It will stretch ever so slightly if it's cooked properly.

Really wish I lived in a place where I had access to a fish market. Would be nice to try fresh fish so I don't have to endure the "fishy"ness of it, lol. I've tried catfish I caught myself, but nothing my wife and I tried(washing it, soaking it in vinegar, washing it again) could get rid of the overwhelming "river fish" taste of it.Let me tell you, I've had fish literally as fresh as you can get it. Pull one out of the water, kill it, clean it, fry it right there in the boat. The difference that even 24 hours makes (even chilled properly) is... life changing.
I've been told soaking the fillet in milk for about 2 hours and then rinsing it off (and patting it very very dry) will help take that fishy flavor out. Also, did you just fry it straight up or dredge it in some flour? Flour will help a bit too.

Mind you, where we were, it was also common to come home with a garbage can filled with shrimp, and then wonder how we would cook it and eat it all before dark when the bears and mountain lions come out. It was a good problem to have from time to time.

And the sights. Ah, the whales. The eagles. The seals. The dogfish and ratfish we would occasionally pull up from time to time (we didn't keep them or harm them). There were days where we would limit out on salmon, each one as long as your arm, by noon. And then just spend the rest of the day jigging for cod. Good times.

Starwulf
2014-01-16, 10:37 PM
Basa is usually found in the chain supermarkets. Cod is also quite common there too. If you live within driving distance to a Costco, you could do worse than buying 15 bucks worth of cod or basa or tilapia, and having some friends over to help you finish it off in one night. Or, buy some ziploc sandwich bags, portion out a few pieces in each bag, freeze them that way.

Tuna Tataki is often still rare in the middle. BBQ Unagi and Unagi rolls are cooked. Dynamite rolls have a piece of tempura battered shimp or squid in the middle, I can assure you that is cooked properly.

Well, 'couldn't get into it' is still a step up from 'Ew, gods thats awful' so there is that. Lobster is like a sweet and buttery flavored tilapia, but with a texture much closer to that of Shrimp. A bit fluffier though. Softer. Then you dip chunks of it into garlic/wine butter. Squid is tougher than shrimp, but if it is cooked properly, only slightly so. It shouldn't be rubbery per se, but it definitely has some tooth to it. It will stretch ever so slightly if it's cooked properly.

Let me tell you, I've had fish literally as fresh as you can get it. Pull one out of the water, kill it, clean it, fry it right there in the boat. The difference that even 24 hours makes (even chilled properly) is... life changing.
I've been told soaking the fillet in milk for about 2 hours and then rinsing it off (and patting it very very dry) will help take that fishy flavor out. Also, did you just fry it straight up or dredge it in some flour? Flour will help a bit too.

Mind you, where we were, it was also common to come home with a garbage can filled with shrimp, and then wonder how we would cook it and eat it all before dark when the bears and mountain lions come out. It was a good problem to have from time to time.

And the sights. Ah, the whales. The eagles. The seals. The dogfish and ratfish we would occasionally pull up from time to time (we didn't keep them or harm them). There were days where we would limit out on salmon, each one as long as your arm, by noon. And then just spend the rest of the day jigging for cod. Good times.

First off, let me thank you for all the advice :) It's much appreciated.

Second off, can I say I hate you? LOL. Sounds like it would be very fun to live in a spot where you can fish like that AND still have the things I enjoy, like bears and mountain lions. It's like the perfect hybrid of the best two places in the world: Woodsy areas and oceans.

So Basa is fairly common to find then, even in chain supermarkets? That's good to know. Sadly, no Costcos nearby, nearest one to my knowledge is a solid hour and a half drive, maybe 2 hours. Got Wal-Marts and Sam's Club(but you HAVE to be a member to get into Sam's Club), Weiss, Martins, and smaller, not so chainy type grocery stores.

Interesting on Lobster. For some reason, I've always pictured Lobster as this harder, chewier kind of meat, with a bitter flavor. Guess that goes to show you can't judge something if you've never tried it, lol(Within reason!!! I still won't try sushi, again, I have a hang-up on things that are raw/rare).

ON the shrimp, yeah, it's not "omg that's revolting", more like "Ehh, it's ok, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in adding to my regular meal consumption". Maybe if I could find a dipping sauce that didn't involve cocktail sauce, that is just bleck.

Karoht
2014-01-16, 11:01 PM
First off, let me thank you for all the advice :) It's much appreciated.
Second off, can I say I hate you?Hot and cold much? :smallwink:

Sounds like it would be very fun to live in a spot where you can fish like that AND still have the things I enjoy, like bears and mountain lions. It's like the perfect hybrid of the best two places in the world: Woodsy areas and oceans.Well, I didn't live there per se. We visited Telegraph Cove (north end of Vancouver Island) anywhere from 2-4 times a year depending on how the season went.

So Basa is fairly common to find then, even in chain supermarkets? That's good to know. Sadly, no Costcos nearby, nearest one to my knowledge is a solid hour and a half drive, maybe 2 hours. Got Wal-Marts and Sam's Club(but you HAVE to be a member to get into Sam's Club), Weiss, Martins, and smaller, not so chainy type grocery stores.You should be able to find Basa, tilapia, and cod pretty easy in Wal-Mart (though the difference between a Canadian and American Wal-Mart might mean otherwise). Sam's Club is Wal-mart owned Costco. The stores are identical, even down to the layouts. Costco requires a membership as well, but it's 50 bucks a year (again, Canada, US might be different), which you will make up the difference of in probably one or two trips.

Interesting on Lobster. For some reason, I've always pictured Lobster as this harder, chewier kind of meat, with a bitter flavor. Guess that goes to show you can't judge something if you've never tried it, lol(Within reason!!! I still won't try sushi, again, I have a hang-up on things that are raw/rare).@Sushi
It's cool. If you've never had raw fish the texture can be a bit off-puting.
If there is a deli near you, they might have Gravlox (more commonly refered to simply as "Lox"), which is basically a form of candied (and sometimes smoked) fish, most commonly salmon. I find that the process of pressing the fish (part of the overall candying process) tends to push out the fishiness as well. It's not raw, technically it is chemically cooked, much like a cerviche. Some places steam and smoke the fish before or during the process, and I can assure you that it is quite safe to eat. High in salt. Fishermen used to make it while at sea, it's been a safe travel food for centuries. But, the texture might put you off. Fair warning and all that jazz.

@Lobster
Odd, not sure how you got that impression, but stranger things have happened. I had a friend who was convinced that all chicken tasted iron-y like blood. I got him to try it one day, he was pretty startled.
Anyway, if you're going to shell out the money for Lobster, Maine lobster is sweeter and is considered to be the best lobster out there. I'm a canadian so I'm biased towards Nova Scotia/Newfound Land Lobster. However, the Lobster I had while I was in Cuba this year? Beat them both hands down. Cheap like the budgie, huge tails, amazing cumin garlic bean sauce, my word it was good.

ON the shrimp, yeah, it's not "omg that's revolting", more like "Ehh, it's ok, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in adding to my regular meal consumption". Maybe if I could find a dipping sauce that didn't involve cocktail sauce, that is just bleck.Shrimp + most hot sauces tends to be pretty decent. I'm a huge fan of shrimp + teriyaki. Ginger/Garlic/Chili sauce is amazing with shrimp IMO.
Tempura battered shrimp is a really light batter, makes for softer shrimp, less of that crunch to them.

I also want to say that having a perfectly cooked shrimp makes all the difference, as it does with scallops.
I've eaten a heck of a lot of shrimp in my time. I thought I knew shrimp pretty well. Boy was I wrong. In Disneyland, I orded up their Jumbalaya while at the Blue Bayou. Flawless. 100% flawlessly cooked shrimp. It was profound. That shrimp alone would have made my day, nevermind the fact that I was in disneyland on a perfect day.

TheThan
2014-01-16, 11:23 PM

True:
There are four ways of cooking fish and only four fish worth eating:
Deep Fried (catfish, cod)
Pan fried (catfish, trout)
Grilled (trout, Salmon)
Smoked (salmon)

Serpentine
2014-01-17, 12:41 AM
Over fishing for eel is indeed a major major problem, it doesn't change how they taste :smalltongue: It just means that eating it should be done in serious moderation.
I was not connecting the two subjects. They were "eel is tasty but oily", and "overfishing is a problem". Not "overfishing eels is a problem so don't eat it".

True:
There are four ways of cooking fish and only four fish worth eating:
Deep Fried (catfish, cod)
Pan fried (catfish, trout)
Grilled (trout, Salmon)
Smoked (salmon)
Bullnuggets. There is also baking, steaming and braising, and dolphinfish (mahi-mahi), bream, whiting, mullet, flathead... All delicious, and all with their own qualities.

Tebryn
2014-01-17, 01:04 AM
I was not connecting the two subjects. They were "eel is tasty but oily", and "overfishing is a problem". Not "overfishing eels is a problem so don't eat it".

Oh, well. The point still stands :smallredface:

Melayl
2014-01-17, 01:29 PM
Crappie, Walleye, Perch, and Bluegill are my favorites. Northern Pike and Bass (large mouth and small mouth) are fine, too. I also like Cod.

I prefer fillets dipped in a beer batter and deep fried, but they're good grilled, too.

Palanan
2014-01-17, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Starwulf
What are...the least fishy tasting of all?

I've tried catfish I caught myself, but nothing my wife and I tried(washing it, soaking it in vinegar, washing it again) could get rid of the overwhelming "river fish" taste of it.

What you're tasting is the difference between wild catfish, living as a bottom-feeder in a river that's probably not too healthy, as opposed to farm-raised catfish in almost clinically clean water.

Fact is, I've never had good store-bought catfish that tasted remotely "fishy" in that sense; it's always been rather bland, which is perfect for the spices I use. My senses of taste and smell are extremely sharp (I can't be on the same side of the house as someone eating Greek yogurt) and catfish has never bothered me that way. To me, it's the tilapia that tastes too heavy and fishy.

So, I would really recommend you try some grocery-store catfish. In fact, I just had a special order come in this afternoon, so that's my dinner tonight.

:smallsmile:

It's like the perfect hybrid of the best two places in the world: Woodsy areas and oceans.

Amen to that.

I used to live not all that far from you...in a large, evil metropolis, but with reasonable access to nice woods and smallish, cozy mountains. Now I live close to the ocean. If only the mountains came right down to the sea....