PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] help with lagiacrus (youngling) CR

Raezeman
2014-01-16, 04:34 AM
For those who know monster hunter tri and tri ultimate are probably familiar with the lagiacrus. For those who don't and want to help me, here (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120209115750/monsterhunter/images/6/6d/LagiacrusCropout.png) is what it looks like.
So, i want to use this beast in my 3.5 adventure. I made the stats for it, for now only for a youngling version, as i want my players to encounter the adult version in the distant future, with much higher challenge. So i present you the youngling lagciacrus:

Youngling Lagiacrus
magical beast
STR: 18
DEX: 10
CON: 15
INT: 12
WIS: 13
CHA: 12

Speed: 30 ft; Swim 60 ft.
Hit dice (HP): 12d12 + 24 (102)
AC: 20 (touch 9, flat footed 20)
size: large (long)
space/reach: 10 ft / 5ft (10 ft with bite)

bab/grapple: 12/15
attack: Claw +15 melee (1d8 + 4)
full attack: 2 Claw +15 melee (1d8 + 4), bite +10 melee (1d6 + 2)

Fort: 10
Reflex: 8
WIll: 9

special attacks: lightning attacks
special qualities: electric charge, fatigue, lightning crystals, immunity to electricity.

Lightning attacks: the youngling lagiacrus has 2 types of attacks in which it generates lightning to kill it's foe. These attacks are the ball of lightning and the electric burst. Both attacks deal 6d8 electricity damage, and the young lagiacrus must wait 1d4 rounds after using a lightning attack before it can use another. The younling lagiacus cannot move in the same turn it uses a lightning attack. Lightning attacks are extraordinary abilities.
ball of lightning: As a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, the youngling lagiacrus can spit a ball of lightning at it's prey. This is a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 50 ft.
Electric burst: The youngling lagiacrus can generate a burst of electricity that damages all within 10 feet of her (reflex halve, DC 18). Using this attack is a standard action that provokes attack of opportunity (the youngling lagiacrus does not need to succeed on a concentration check when hit by a attack of opportunity when using electric burst).

Electric rage: when the youngling lagiacrus HP fall below halve, it flies into a rage and becomes electrically charged. It's claw and bite attacks deal an additional 1d6 point electricity damage and it must only wait 1d4-1 rounds to use a lightning attack. When electric rage is active, sparks can be seen flying of the lagiacrus' body, especially at the lightning crystals on it's back.
Fatigue: If the youngling lagiacrus is fatigued or exhausted by whatever means, next to the usual effects, it also becomes incapable of generating electricity as long as the fatigue and or exhaustion lasts. The youngling lagiacrus is thus unable of using lightning attacks and it's electric rage is negated, even when below halve hit points.
Lightning crystals: The youngling lagiacrus uses lightning crystals on its back to generate it's electricity. When bludgeoning or sonic damage equal to at least 1/4 of the younling lagiacrus' maximum hit points is dealt to these crystals, they (partly) shatter. This causes the youngling lagiacrus' ability to generate lightning to be significantly reduced. It must now wait 2d4 rounds in between using lightning attacks, and no longer gains the benefits of Electric rage, even when below halve hit points.
Immunity to electricity: Electricity type damage does no damage to the youngling lagiacrus.

So, my questions:
First of all: what do you think? Just general thoughts.
What challenge rating is this? I've based most of its abilities of the young blue dragon, so i would think it is about 6 or 7.
Any modifications? I thinks magical beast suits better then animal, with all the lightning stuff going on, or not? or maybe even the dragon type is suitable? And stats and damage and stuff wise, what would you change?

For those familiar with the lagiacrus from the games, i do not need a perfect approximation of this guy's behaviour, attacks and mental abilities. Much more important is just giving my players something cool and dangerous to fight, and a little warm up for when the adult version comes along.

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-16, 11:28 AM
I could see this having the Dragon Subtype, since if memory serves Lagiacrus is somewhat weak to the Dragon Element.

I'd tone down the power of the electricity, bring it down to 5d6 or so. And remember, unless it is of the Ivory subspecies, Lagiacrus cannot use its electric burst on land.

Remember to give it skill points, and I suggest giving it the Aquatic subtype. Maybe give it the Amphibious Ex ability. I'd also add a tail attack.

Remember feats! I reccomend Alertness, Cleave, and Great Cleave.

Finally, apply those skill points!

Raezeman
2014-01-16, 12:28 PM
I could see this having the Dragon Subtype, since if memory serves Lagiacrus is somewhat weak to the Dragon Element.

I'd tone down the power of the electricity, bring it down to 5d6 or so. And remember, unless it is of the Ivory subspecies, Lagiacrus cannot use its electric burst on land.

Remember to give it skill points, and I suggest giving it the Aquatic subtype. Maybe give it the Amphibious Ex ability. I'd also add a tail attack.

Remember feats! I reccomend Alertness, Cleave, and Great Cleave.

Finally, apply those skill points!

Thanks, good advice, all of it. And what do you think about the challenge rating?

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-16, 07:47 PM
I think CR 5-6 is a good estimate. Also, you may want to look into giving it the mermaid's racial bonus on swim checks.

Qc Storm
2014-01-16, 08:10 PM
Could you chop the Lagi's tail back in MH? I don't remember.

If so, consider giving it a tail attack your players can sunder, using rules similar to hydra heads.

Sundering it could give it a penalty to attack rolls, reduced reach, or simply removing it altogether.

Cutting tails is a big part of Monster Hunter.

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-16, 08:16 PM
Could you chop the Lagi's tail back in MH? I don't remember.

If so, consider giving it a tail attack your players can sunder, using rules similar to hydra heads.

Sundering it could give it a penalty to attack rolls, reduced reach, or simply removing it altogether.

Cutting tails is a big part of Monster Hunter.

Oh, it was "Oh so choppable." I like going into HR 1 rooms sometimes and slicing the tails for the group with my G-Rank Greatsword while it sleeps.

Raezeman
2014-01-17, 03:23 AM
ok, well, i'm not trying to recreate the monster hunter game in a d&d setting, just trying to bring in a nice beast for my players to fight. That said, i'm not (or not yet at least) going to give it a tail attack that they can cut off, and even if it's not an ivory lagiacrus, i can do it's electric burst on land. Also not worrying on the swim stuff since my players will encounter it on land anyway. But this is only the youngling lagiacrus, things could be very different for the adult.

Ansem
2014-01-17, 09:17 AM
Just offtopic.... D&D campaign setting in the MH verse would rock...

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-17, 09:26 AM
I had a setting like that at one point.

E6, it used the Avatar D20 rules for weapon modification, and all the characters came from a custom race (the only race of humanoids). Small size, human feat and skill points, +2 racial mod to a stat of their choice. You could take a feat to be a generic throwblack and count as elf or such with all the racial features (not stats though).

I even wanted to change the rules for magic items over to a rune system that allowed you to fill up to three slots with runes, and each rune added +1 to the base enhancement. It allowed up to a +6 weapon, and that is huge for an E6 world, but I liked the idea of your weapon being a large part of your character.

I figured making all humanoids small would increase the feel of how large the world is without radically altering the balance of reach and sizes.