PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Planar resorts.

Yael
2014-01-16, 04:54 AM
I need to prepare spells as well to rest because the game I'm currently in is way too slow and the encounters take way too much time to end; resulting in almost all my spell slots to be used.

I have my Summon Monster II still prepared, aiming to summon an Ur'Epona to plane shift away to another plane where time goes way more faster than the material plane, or that time doesn't flow. Also, I should say that we all are low level (5th), so I'm looking for something like a Planar Metropolis (like Brass) to go and rest, maybe buy some things and return to my home plane (Material Plane) to catch up with my party maybe an hour later or so , because it's like 10am and we just departed by 8am the same day, just two encounters and some roleplay burnt my spells (Oh, the party I have... no expert... no anything... just 3 BSF and 2 GC...)

Any HELP with a planar city or else (maybe an isolated plane or so), where I can warp and rest?

eggynack
2014-01-16, 05:01 AM
I don't think your plan here works. According to summon monster, "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities."

Yael
2014-01-16, 05:38 AM
I don't think your plan here works. According to summon monster, "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities."

I had a deal with my DM to allow, so it got houseruled so it can be done (because the slowness of my party, that's why).

Rizban
2014-01-16, 05:44 AM
Frankly, the game was balanced around the idea that a caster actually will run out of spells. Unless you're running out with only half the day gone, then I don't really see an issue. I'd suggest being a bit more frugal with the spells you cast, focusing on spells that have lasting effects or such so that you aren't burning through slots as quickly.

However, you can always go to Dal Quor. Time there runs 10x as fast. As long as you stay out on the edges of the dream, the monstrosities of that plane probably won't eat you.

Brookshw
2014-01-16, 06:43 AM
Offhand there are 4 major metropolisis (metropoli?) in the planes, Sigil, City of Brass, Union, and that Gith city on the Astral that I can never spell the name of, of those only the Astral has a timeless trait so that's the closest by Canon I can think of for what your looking for. Downside, it's a pretty evil city and you don't naturally heal on the plane. Might be your best bet. Outer planes are, iirc, all normal time. You might try a fey realm if you know of one but that's another matter.

Edit: I should probably add that a) plane shift (less greater) is not an exact science and you'd likely still have to travel to whatever city you wanted to rest in, b) can't go directly to sigil but would need to transit via a gate town (easiest solution), and c) Brass doesn't like it if you try to bypass the toll collectors at the gate.

Yael
2014-01-16, 07:43 PM
Forgot to say that the free-Planar Shift is only for Ur'Epona by using SMIII instead of SMII.

Offhand there are 4 major metropolisis (metropoli?) in the planes, Sigil, City of Brass, Union, and that Gith city on the Astral that I can never spell the name of, of those only the Astral has a timeless trait so that's the closest by Canon I can think of for what your looking for. Downside, it's a pretty evil city and you don't naturally heal on the plane. Might be your best bet. Outer planes are, iirc, all normal time. You might try a fey realm if you know of one but that's another matter.

I would like to see more about that Githianki city (am I correct?), I know that they are pretty evil, but lawful as well, right?

Edit: I should probably add that a) plane shift (less greater) is not an exact science and you'd likely still have to travel to whatever city you wanted to rest in, b) can't go directly to sigil but would need to transit via a gate town (easiest solution), and c) Brass doesn't like it if you try to bypass the toll collectors at the gate.

Thing is, that I cannot travel long distances (in the Material Plane) because we are just starting our day and I already have spent almost all my slots. This is why I need to go and rest somewhere where I could catch up with my party.

Rizban
2014-01-16, 09:25 PM
How beat up are they? You might be able to convince them to get a couple hours of rest and start in the evening or the next day.That could solve a lot of problems.

Yael
2014-01-16, 09:55 PM
How beat up are they? You might be able to convince them to get a couple hours of rest and start in the evening or the next day.That could solve a lot of problems.

To be honest, they are way too beaten. One was almost killed, other was tanking damage, but not that useful so he took like a quarter of his full HP in damage. Other is a caster, so he just casted a bit (beguiler spells). So we are all pretty much in a bad situation. Maybe you're right. We should take some time to rest (about 8 hours or so).

Chronos
2014-01-16, 10:08 PM
Note that Plane Shift isn't precise, so you're likely to need some other form of travel both in your target plane, and back in the material after you return. And if you're burning through resources as quickly as you say, you might end up needing to rest again before you even got back to your starting point.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-16, 10:41 PM
So are you just spending all your spell slots in the same combat? Because it's generally a good idea to conserve them to be spread among at least 4 encounters each day.

Cirrylius
2014-01-16, 11:21 PM
I am disappointed that this thread is not, as I at first thought, where best to go for a vacation on the planes if you're looking for windsailing and spa treatments and so on :smallfrown:

Slipperychicken
2014-01-16, 11:27 PM
I am disappointed that this thread is not, as I at first thought, where best to go for a vacation on the planes if you're looking for windsailing and spa treatments and so on :smallfrown:

Me too. That's what I originally thought it was, but then I thought "meh, this works too" and rolled with it.

I would totally vacation on the first layer of Celestia, and chill out on the beach around its holy water ocean. Also, Valhalla would be perfect for adventurers, especially with infinite combat, free rezzes, and free board.

Rizban
2014-01-17, 12:01 AM

That's why I clicked it too! I was really hoping! If you could open a permanent gate to the Plane of Water on the Plane of Fire, you could build an amazing hot spring.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-17, 02:19 AM
If you've got the wherewithal to protect yourself from the natives, I understand shendilavri in the abyss is pretty nice; a hedonists' paradise as long as you don't get yourself captured, tortured, and eaten.

Endarire
2014-01-17, 02:30 AM
I made a planar resort on the Elemental Plane of Water - Murray's Resort Isle. (Might and Magic II reference.) Wonderful place with vertical volleyball, a wonderful staff ("I'm your friendly neighborhood guide skeleton! Walk this way!"), whatever food you can imagine (and, yes, even then), and live sports and arena events broadcast across the planes. Epic thrills (and challenges) await in the arena! Choose your difficulty, from the meager Blue Ticket Circuit to the mighty Champion's Circuit! Redeem your prizes at the Murray's Arcade! All this and more awaits you at Murray's Resort Isle!

Eldan
2014-01-17, 05:01 AM
Arborea has the best parties. Unless a group of Maenads tears you to pieces. Unless you are into that kind of thing.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-17, 05:16 AM
There's the entire first layer of Ysgard, too. Battle all day party all night. Better for the natives than visitors though, they don't have to worry about being killed in battle since the only drawback for them is missing that night's parties.

Brookshw
2014-01-17, 06:59 AM
I would like to see more about that Githianki city (am I correct?), I know that they are pretty evil, but lawful as well, right?

Tu'narath (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tu%27narath) is the name of the city. Unfortunately Planewalker seems to be down at the moment or I'd link you to them. Massive city built on a dead god in the Astral, lots of Githyanki (plus their red dragon allies), tons of astral ships, shaped something like a spider iirc with the legs being the docks. Seat of power for the Luch-Queen Vlaakith. For more info please consult your local Planar Handbook or Afroakuma (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317316&page=21)

Thing is, that I cannot travel long distances (in the Material Plane) because we are just starting our day and I already have spent almost all my slots. This is why I need to go and rest somewhere where I could catch up with my party.

That's going to be a bit of a thorn in the plan thanks to planeshift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm)being an inexact science (less greater), you'll still need to actually GET to the city (or any city) once you arrive on another plane. Maybe your DM will let you treat it as greater planeshift (http://dndtools.eu/spells/planar-handbook--79/plane-shift-greater--2161/) once you've been there?

Me too. That's what I originally thought it was, but then I thought "meh, this works too" and rolled with it.

I would totally vacation on the first layer of Celestia, and chill out on the beach around its holy water ocean.

I hear Castle Mahlhevik (http://planewalking.dungeons.ru/outer/mount%20celestia/mount%20celestia.htm) is nice this time of year though the fishing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0498.html)is terrible.