PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon Help

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 07:33 AM
Alright while looking up tricks for the Harpoon I found two different kinds.
The Kuo-Toan Harpoon is a melee weapon with a range of 30 ft for when it is thrown. It deals 1d10 on the extraction.

The Stormwrack and Frostburn kind is a thrown weapon with a range of 30 ft and deals double the damage caused in the initial attack to extract.

The Kuo-Toan Harpoon has a section for using a sticky shield to lock a harpoon's chain to the ground. Now this is due to the Kuo-Toan Harpooner monster having the ability to add an adhesive to their shield but is there a way for a normal character to do something like this? Maybe an item like 'Glue' or something I could reasonably use.

My idea is at level 6 to be using my Warlock//Duskblade gestalt to fly around Harpooning big bad monsters and locking them down by adhering the chains to walls, ground, ceiling, whatever to keep them from moving allowing the martial characters in my party to go to town.

Our Campaign is gonna be weird it is a dnd zombie game where we stop leveling at level 6 but our saves progress normally.

So what I needs to know is:
Is there anyway to get adhesive on my weapons to lock them to the ground (Even if I have to carry four small shields)
Is there any other tricks that might be available earlier in the game?

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-16, 08:28 AM
Well, sovereign glue is expensive, but could work. An immovable rod would also work, just have it attached to the rope and click the button. Also expensive.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 08:39 AM
Titan's Gum is 25 gp per dose which is expensive overall but yeah I didn't even think immovable rod.

Titan Gum is from Dragon mag 301 pg 53 btw

Darrin
2014-01-16, 10:12 AM
Maybe try attaching the harpoon to a Rod of Ropes (4000 GP, Complete Scoundrel), you can then anchor the rod to a wall/floor with a move action.

Harpoon + Fleshgrinding (Book of Vile Darkness) could be interesting.

Anxe
2014-01-16, 10:13 AM
You could carry around some really big stakes and nail those into the ground. Then you can get some manacles. Attach one end of the manacle to the chain and the other to the stake. The issue with this one is that then the stake becomes the weakest section of your trap. It's made out of all mundane stuff in the PHB though, so there's that.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 10:21 AM
Very interesting idea with the Rod of Ropes but it doesnt give the Hardness and HP of the rope in the book, where is it?

The fleshgrinding works only if its read a specific way meaning they need to use a standard action to stop the flesh grinding and then a full round action to remove the harpoon which yes that might be very useful.

Darrin
2014-01-16, 10:46 AM
Very interesting idea with the Rod of Ropes but it doesnt give the Hardness and HP of the rope in the book, where is it?

I was thinking the harpoon trailing rope, or rather the trailing chain made out of riverine chain links, is tied or attached with sovereign glue to the Rod of Ropes. You hold on to the rod on your end, and activate it with a move action, anchorning one of the grappling ends to the ground in your square. In most cases, this should prevent your target from slashing or sundering the rope from the Rod of Ropes, as you've noticed that there is no hardness or HP listed for whatever comes out of it.

Another concern with the Rod of Ropes... if your target does manage to cut the rope from the rod, does that mean that end of the rod is permanently destroyed or nonfunctional? Let's say 150' of rope out of one end gets cut or destroyed... the next time you use the rod, is that 150' permanently gone, or do you get another 300' from that end? Likewise, if you need to cut off sections of that rope for whatever, does the cut portion "grow back"? If so... can you shoot out 300' of rope, cut it off, shoot out another 300' of rope, and repeat so that you have essentially an unlimited supply of 300' ropes?

(I am suprised that the Rod of Ropes made it into print without anyone trying to cut the rope.)

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 10:55 AM
Very good point. I was curious about that as well.

Well when someone mentioned the Immoveable Rod I was thinking something similar with the Rod acting as anchor at the end of the trailing line.

the rod of rope with undetermined HP and Hardness might mean it cannot ever be cut?

But then what if you used the rope to tie the legs of a giant together who scored a nat 20 on its strength check to escape could he? I mean the rope cannot be broken by the rules as is right?

Darrin
2014-01-16, 11:16 AM
the rod of rope with undetermined HP and Hardness might mean it cannot ever be cut?

But then what if you used the rope to tie the legs of a giant together who scored a nat 20 on its strength check to escape could he? I mean the rope cannot be broken by the rules as is right?

I would just treat the rope as if it were from a Spool of Endless Rope (Magic Item Compendium). The rope can be cut/broken like any other rope, but any rope separated from the rod instantly disappears. If the grapple rope is cut, then pressing the associated button causes the remaining rope to retract and the unattached grapple head to fly/teleport back to the rod. It can then be activated again as usual.

I think that would be preferrable to a rope with infinite hardness/HP. Such an item could create issues with game balance, and I see no indication in the item description that such a feature was ever intended.

Rolling a natural 20 on a Strength check doesn't produce a result any different from any other successful Strength check. Under the "instantly disappears" feature, the severed sections of rope would disappear, and the rod's owner could retract/reset the grapple with a move action.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 11:52 AM
Well that does make the most sense now doesn't it.

Any other tricks I could find that would allow me to lock down the end of the rope cheaper?

Honestly a Immovable Spike would be nice but doubt it exists.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-16, 12:03 PM
Well that does make the most sense now doesn't it.

Any other tricks I could find that would allow me to lock down the end of the rope cheaper?

Honestly a Immovable Spike would be nice but doubt it exists.

ask your dm, that would be a custom magic item.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 12:07 PM
Well how much would it cost, I am horrible at all this stuff I know Immovable Rod uses Levitation as a spell.

I think it would cost something like 2*3*2000gp*1.5= 18000 gp right?

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-16, 12:32 PM
Well how much would it cost, I am horrible at all this stuff I know Immovable Rod uses Levitation as a spell.

I think it would cost something like 2*3*2000gp*1.5= 18000 gp right?

cost would depend on how it is done. that is the cost for an off-slot continuous/use activated item of a lvl 2 spell at cl 3 by the guidelines.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 01:27 PM
How much would the cost be for an item that has just a handful of Charges and can be replaced?

How much would it be if I made the Harpoons be similar to Immovable rods?