PDA

View Full Version : Defining Far-Spawn

Xuldarinar
2014-01-16, 07:56 AM
In reference to the Half-Farspawn template, I am left to wonder what exactly is a farspawn.

Is it any creature from the far-realm? Is it any outsider native to the far-realm? Is it something more specific that we may never have received a stat block for?

If there is a large list of known creatures that count for farspawn, then how do we apply this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) to it?

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 12:47 PM
I'd assume they are anything native to the far realm (i.e. aberrations). For the purposes of the template, a few races would be excluded, because they have their own halfbreed template (i.e. illithids).

Petrocorus
2014-01-16, 01:53 PM
I myself have the feeling this is nothing more than DnD take on the Cthulhu Mythos.

Segev
2014-01-16, 02:12 PM
I think we have exactly two templates that are identified clearly as "farspawn:" Pseudonatural, and its big brother, Epic Pseudonatural. (The latter is available in the SRD.)

We can speculate about various Aberrations as being Far Realms creatures, but we don't have solid rules saying they are.

Given that a Pseudonatural Human can look 100% normal, Half Farspawn aren't all that hard to imagine happening, though...

Gemini476
2014-01-16, 02:20 PM
I think we have exactly two templates that are identified clearly as "farspawn:" Pseudonatural, and its big brother, Epic Pseudonatural. (The latter is available in the SRD.)

We can speculate about various Aberrations as being Far Realms creatures, but we don't have solid rules saying they are.

Given that a Pseudonatural Human can look 100% normal, Half Farspawn aren't all that hard to imagine happening, though...

Some abberations are most definitely from the Far Realm, most notably the Kaorti.

otakumick
2014-01-16, 04:41 PM
while there are aberations native to the far-realms, half-farspawn makes you an outsider. therefore, it seems likely that it would be the result of outsiders from the far realm "interacting" with the residents of the prime(or any other legal recipients of the template)

123456789blaaa
2014-01-16, 06:59 PM

I'm looking at both pseudonatural templates and can't find where they're identified as farspawn. Could I get a quote?

Bronk
2014-01-17, 07:45 AM
Well, this problem comes up with Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates too, where anything Fiendish or Celestial technically counts as one parent. It seems weird that shiny celestial bear can shack up with a regular old bear and have cubs with wings that can eventually cast healing and resurrection spells... but I like it.

I guess anything from the Far Realm would count... a weird blob? A sentient plane? Good old epic fingernail head guy?