PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #404 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2007-01-22, 11:49 PM
New comic is up.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-01-22, 11:51 PM
Hahaha..."...cleaning up the stuff that came out my cats butt..." Priceless!

Bruenor
2007-01-22, 11:52 PM
Awesome...Thog had an accident...Poor guy...

storybookknight
2007-01-22, 11:52 PM
Again, the similarities between bald and scarred guy and Roy are striking. It's interesting to see lord Shojo occasionally revealing his inner veneer of being a very tough negotiator.

Another great comic! Now I'm just waiting for Miko to bust in...

mrnomas
2007-01-22, 11:53 PM
And who said the new comic's weren't as funny as the old ones? That was great. And getting better!

MetalKelt
2007-01-22, 11:55 PM
Poor thog. Though, if Nale and Sabine had to sit in it too, that would be disturbingly satisfying...

wagomorph
2007-01-22, 11:56 PM
Dignity of -9, sounds like my teenagers complaining. Like Shojo, they think I'm senile, yet cannot understand how they get caught goofing off.

Lithgon the Crazy
2007-01-22, 11:57 PM
Poor Mr. Scruffy... I hope he feels better! :smallfrown:

Niles
2007-01-22, 11:58 PM
That line from Roy remembers me of my friends when me and my girlfriend play DD with them :smallbiggrin:
Poor guys...
Poor Roy...
:smalltongue:

Tim
2007-01-22, 11:59 PM
Thog's accident??

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-23, 12:00 AM
Hah! Shojo is an unexpected source of quality acerbic wit :P

And yet, I just got a vision of Azure City going down a slippery slope to the point that it resembles 24 o.o

brionl
2007-01-23, 12:00 AM
404 Prisoner not found error.

OMFG It's so eerie!!!11
:smallbiggrin:

Felinoid
2007-01-23, 12:01 AM
Heheh. Got a good laugh out of the punchline. Throw in a tiny bit of story movement, a bit of character development on this "O-chul", and an interesting misstep on Shojo's part that may come back to bite him someday, and you've got a recipe for a good strip.

carolithe
2007-01-23, 12:01 AM
poor O-Chul.. despite my dislike of paladins, i don't think anybody deserves to have to suffer cleaning the rear-end of their boss's gastro-suffering pet animal.. hell. and yet.. my sympathy doesn't extend far enough to offer ass-istance.. ^-^ tee hee. [uh.. sorry. my bad. (Oo) don't hit me!]

another fun, if slightly squeamish-making, comic from the Giant. i'm SO glad i wasn't eating when i read this one.. ^-^

Aiani
2007-01-23, 12:02 AM
Wow I feel really bad for O-chul. He seems to be having a bad day. That was pretty funny though, poor Mr. Scruffy had an upset tummy.

Shott
2007-01-23, 12:03 AM
Nice job. = )

Maerad of Pellinor
2007-01-23, 12:05 AM
And another great comic that still advances the plot!

Heh. Thog had an accident....I somehow don't really want to know the details....

zibeck
2007-01-23, 12:06 AM
Wow, Thog is comic gold!Btw, it's great to have Haley talking again.

skinkatlarge
2007-01-23, 12:07 AM
I sense future plot complication...

The Extinguisher
2007-01-23, 12:07 AM
Disturbing, but hilarious.

musicnerd
2007-01-23, 12:08 AM
Thog had an accident! :tongue: :yuk:

And I am so happy every time I read a Haley joke and don't need to find a translation!

Querzis
2007-01-23, 12:09 AM
Roy and O-Chul really have a spiritual kinship lol. Great comic and poor O-Chul.

Amotis
2007-01-23, 12:10 AM
Poor Thog. Not really, hehe.

oball
2007-01-23, 12:10 AM
So, Shojo has been putting ranks in "Suspend Habeas Corpus".

Screech
2007-01-23, 12:11 AM
Haha So funny. so many of the jokes were great.

Keep up the good work been waiting all day for that :)

DocZoid
2007-01-23, 12:12 AM
Good stuff!

Amotis
2007-01-23, 12:13 AM
Also, is this one of rare tongues we see of an oots member?

fwiffo
2007-01-23, 12:16 AM
Not bad but mostly a filler. Not Giant's best work, even though couple nice character moments on Shojo. Still, overall, I'd say that one was below average by OOTS standard - no interesting plot turns, no really good one-liners, amusing but not hilarious situations. Hopefully leading somewhere.

rosebud
2007-01-23, 12:17 AM
Yes, it may be filler, but I LOVE Haley's look with her smiling and sticking her tongue out! :smallsmile: I guess it's a good thing that Shojo is not lawful and will hold them, but I do pity the jail and jailers. They have a poor track record in this strip.

SDF
2007-01-23, 12:18 AM
Is someone going to escape? Probably.

Haruki-kun
2007-01-23, 12:18 AM
Poor Thog, having "accidents"............................

Thog rules

Argus
2007-01-23, 12:20 AM
Haley's comment in the second panel reminded me of another webcomic:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3.html

Yzorth
2007-01-23, 12:21 AM
Lol. Not bad. I'd like to see Xykon's army show up sooner or later, but I trust you Giant to make the army's intro good.

Nupo
2007-01-23, 12:23 AM
Poor Thog. One of the hazards of being tied up I guess. Or maybe the "accident" happened while under the hold person spell. Does hold person hold bodily functions as well?

Dabble
2007-01-23, 12:27 AM
Well either they will escape, or never make it into the jail to begin with, or perhaps Miko when she returns will consider them her allies because after OOTS are evil, so anyone they apprehend must be good...

etc.. etc.. etc..

merric101
2007-01-23, 12:27 AM
i loved it but im not 'in' love with it.

good, but not your best, but still realy realy good!:smallamused:

5tephen
2007-01-23, 12:31 AM
Cool.

Looks like more plot next episode....

Mr_Saturn
2007-01-23, 12:38 AM
looking forward to more comics to come. Thanks giant.

Aimbot
2007-01-23, 12:40 AM
TLG won't be in the inn when they get back.

Angela Christine
2007-01-23, 12:43 AM
Poor Thog! I hope his costume isn't ruined.

Draz74
2007-01-23, 12:44 AM
No lengthy analysis this time ... pretty simple.

Actually, I'm surprised a whole strip is used on negotiating the imprisonment of the Linear Guild. OK. I guess the strip needs to be slower-paced again for a while, after the action with the Guild/Haley/Elan.

Hobgoblins sure move slow, though ... they've been marching for 104 strips! And 28 strips since they got to Azure City's last watchtower. Oh well.

On a positive note, I really like O-chul. He reminds me of the Chief in Cliffport. Hopefully he'll last a bit longer, though.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-23, 12:50 AM
The third to last and second to last frames = the win.

The_Weirdo
2007-01-23, 12:57 AM
"Do you want to tell him about Thog's 'accident' or should I?" - Great punchline. :D

xyzchyx
2007-01-23, 12:57 AM
Am I the only one who thought for a moment that the page with the latest comic didn't exist?

Shadic
2007-01-23, 12:58 AM
This leads up to a suspense-filled Friday comic. I can't explain it, but it does.

Linear Guild WILL be there when Elan and Haley return; V and Durkon are guarding the three of them.

Also, I feel sorry for Nale and Sabine, Thog had his accident, and they're all in a pile.

EDIT:
Anybody think that O-Chul is the Paladin from comic 290? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0290.html)

SPoD
2007-01-23, 01:07 AM
At first, I was curious why the last two comics existed. I mean, Rich has glossed over more important details than negotiating the imprisonment of Nale and company before.

But now I have a theory: These two strips exist because of O-chul. With the invasion of Azure City imminent, there may be a need for more paladins for us, the readers, to follow during the battle. These strips set up his character and personality for later use.

Godhand
2007-01-23, 01:10 AM
We found the straight man for the blue city. O-Chul, good luck to you buddy, you might not be around much longer to enjoy your loss of dignity.

In any event, excellent comic sir! I await your next with great anticipation.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-23, 01:17 AM
So, Shojo has been putting ranks in "Suspend Habeas Corpus".No, I'm pretty sure producing some corpses is exactly what Shojo has in mind. That fool don't play.

Flak_Razorwill
2007-01-23, 01:24 AM
Wait...Thog poops in kitty litter?

And where's my 404 joke?

Lithgon the Crazy
2007-01-23, 01:41 AM

Could this have be about the US Attorney General speaking in the US Senate today about just that?

Green Bean
2007-01-23, 02:08 AM
EDIT:
Anybody think that O-Chul is the Paladin from comic 290? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0290.html)

Hey, that does look like him, doesn't it. He must've been promoted.

TheAnimal
2007-01-23, 02:51 AM
I LOVE Haley's look with her smiling and sticking her tongue out! :smallsmile:
Me too. She just looks so... haleyish. Besides, her lines are some of the best in this strip. (No, I don't mean her curves - not that there's anything wrong with them either.)
The punchline is just too great... Poor O-chul. Life just keeps giving him crap, doesn't it? Maybe he should take a level of dirtamancer.
I don't envy Nale or Sabine, either. :smalltongue:

denelian
2007-01-23, 03:06 AM
hmmm... Lord whatever his name is is gonna one day stretch his little "disguise" too far...

and THAT will bring more laughs...

Elftist
2007-01-23, 03:09 AM
Could this have be about the US Attorney General speaking in the US Senate today about just that?

I'd love to think that the giant is dabbling in political satire, but that might be a bit of a stretch for this particular episode.

In any case, I really enjoy the way the comic integrates the plot developing strips with the lighter ones. And like others, I really appreciate not having to figure out Haley's jokes or wait for the forum -- especially her lines are this good.

Another awesome strip.

faerwain
2007-01-23, 03:15 AM
Poor Thog. One of the hazards of being tied up I guess. *snip*

One of these things that never happens to the heroes, no matter how long they are tied. Disregarding reality there is a very rare example of DM and players agreeing.:smalltongue:

A needed strip to prepare everything for moving on, but not my favourite. Still chuckled enough to have a good morning start.I liked Haley's speak bout use-impaired locks.

Anthea
2007-01-23, 03:24 AM
Hehe. I like that "OK. We won't tell you" ;)

Vargtass
2007-01-23, 03:33 AM
This leads up to a suspense-filled Friday comic. I can't explain it, but it does.

Linear Guild WILL be there when Elan and Haley return; V and Durkon are guarding the three of them.

Also, I feel sorry for Nale and Sabine, Thog had his accident, and they're all in a pile.

EDIT:

No, I don't think so. However, the 290 is identical to Fellow medium-sized creature here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html)

Wrong colour of shoes, no scar.

Max_Sinister
2007-01-23, 03:35 AM
Thog's accident now. And in that Warthog comic where Pompey appears "Thog got to use a mop". Things repeat, somehow.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-23, 03:36 AM
On further reflection, I'm a little confused as to why Shojo needs to keep their existence a secret. I guess because he doesn't want people knowing he's using the OotS as, well, cat's-paws ;) but it's not like he couldn't do the "Being of Pure Law and Good" thing again, stage a trial for crimes of Being a Fiend and Accessory to Being a Fiend, and lock em up like that.

I'll admit there are probably a few flaws in that scenario too, but anyway...I'm pretty sure the purpose of all that was to make it so that the LG are in their dungeons without anyone knowing, so that when Xykon comes tearing through...I don't know, something dramatical happens, and they escape without anyone knowing? Or maybe Xykon kills them? Or something~

Shadic
2007-01-23, 03:38 AM
No, I don't think so. However, the 290 is identical to Fellow medium-sized creature here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html)

Wrong colour of shoes, no scar.

Another good catch, but I get the impression that O-Chul is an older guy, which would fit up well with Shojo's story about sending out Paladin's "A long time ago."

Alfryd
2007-01-23, 04:19 AM
New comic is up.
Not bad. Not bad at all. Please continue.

Looks like it. I have to worry about Azure-city's long-term political future. Quite apart from it's *short-term* geographical existence.

No, I'm pretty sure producing some corpses is exactly what Shojo has in mind. That fool don't play.
Interesting. It would be rather like him, and it would solve a great many problems.

I'm a little confused as to why Shojo needs to keep their existence a secret.
Because otherwise you need to explain the exact circumstances of their 'arrest', and then the OotS could be brought in to testify by the defence and the chair of truth would blow their cover.

Delgarde
2007-01-23, 04:32 AM
On further reflection, I'm a little confused as to why Shojo needs to keep their existence a secret. I guess because he doesn't want people knowing he's using the OotS as, well, cat's-paws ;) but it's not like he couldn't do the "Being of Pure Law and Good" thing again, stage a trial for crimes of Being a Fiend and Accessory to Being a Fiend, and lock em up like that.

Using the Being of Pure Law and Good thing again is an awful lot of effort to go to. It was necessary for the OotS since Shojo needed to publicly acquit them of any wrongdoing, but that doesn't apply in this case. All that Shojo needs is for Nale and friends to disappear as permanently as possible - and that's most readily done by locking them up indefinitely with no trial.

If I was in his position, I'd be doing much the same - lock them up quietly for now, then edit the records to show that they've been formally convicted (under pseudonyms) and locked away, according to the letter of the law. That ensures no noble paladin or cleric detects and corrects an apparent miscarriage of justice.

skinkatlarge
2007-01-23, 04:32 AM
No, I'm pretty sure producing some corpses is exactly what Shojo has in mind. That fool don't play.
Except the whole point was to not kill them (True Resurrection; fiend), and I'm sure Elan explained why when requesting his favor.

spectralphoenix
2007-01-23, 05:33 AM
Not to mention Intimidate!

Pvednes
2007-01-23, 06:26 AM
This comic, it is a ninja.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-23, 07:12 AM
Is it me, or did Elan suddenly take over the leadership roles in this party? Isn't Roy the one who should be requesting things from teh NPC rulers of Paladin kingdoms? Not that I mind Elan taking the initiative or anything, but I just seems like Roy has suddenly found himself in the back seat of his own party.

All that said, another good page of OOTS for me ....

SPoD
2007-01-23, 07:19 AM
On further reflection, I'm a little confused as to why Shojo needs to keep their existence a secret.

Because the favor that he is fulfilling only exists because Elan is helping him circumvent his own paladins. If he had to explain why he was giving Elan such a boon, it would only lead to more questions.

I guess because he doesn't want people knowing he's using the OotS as, well, cat's-paws ;) but it's not like he couldn't do the "Being of Pure Law and Good" thing again,

There's an argument to be made that the more often you use the same trick, the more likely it is that the paladins will see through it. Also, Eugene doesn't seem to be around anymore.

stage a trial for crimes of Being a Fiend and Accessory to Being a Fiend, and lock em up like that.

I would think that in this city, the penalty for that is death, which isn't what Elan and company want.

Is it me, or did Elan suddenly take over the leadership roles in this party? Isn't Roy the one who should be requesting things from teh NPC rulers of Paladin kingdoms? Not that I mind Elan taking the initiative or anything, but I just seems like Roy has suddenly found himself in the back seat of his own party.

It's Elan's gift certificate that they're cashing in. Hence, Elan makes the request.

Space-Is-Curved
2007-01-23, 07:25 AM
Haley with her tongue out made me laugh more than the actual jokes, for some reason.

Nix307
2007-01-23, 07:36 AM
I liked this latest installment of otts. I loved the fact that lord sojo thiks that the cats catnip is the same on a scale of importance to the locking up of nale

dutch508
2007-01-23, 07:47 AM
There is nothing like a good poopy cat butt joke.

Kelso
2007-01-23, 07:58 AM
hehe.... "duty."

Teristen
2007-01-23, 08:48 AM
Oh, if I were O-Chul, I'd be looking for a new job. I'm sure there is a nice dishwasher position open somewhere that would have to be better than his current one.

Mad Scientist
2007-01-23, 08:54 AM
So funny!
:haley: OK, we won't tell you.
Hee hee!
We need a Mr. Scruffy smiley.

Erloas
2007-01-23, 09:30 AM
I'm betting the "Thog's accident" thing was as much to get him out of the leprechaun outfit as it was to make the joke.

I guess this is the downside to such amazing comics at the ones leading up to and including 400. There is just no way to hold that level of greatness and you then have to go back to "normal" for a little while. Even though the most recent comics were good, they don't seem as good as they would if they weren't being indirectly compared to the ones just before.

random11
2007-01-23, 09:44 AM
Again, the similarities between bald and scarred guy and Roy are striking. It's interesting to see lord Shojo occasionally revealing his inner veneer of being a very tough negotiator.

For all those who see a bond between the paladin and Roy, please remember the last time it happend...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html

Caractacus
2007-01-23, 09:47 AM
Don't give Thog corn.

Not if you have parquet...

Lino would be okay though.

If it's someone else's... :smallcool:

steev42
2007-01-23, 10:06 AM
I was just about to swallow a bite of breakfast sandwich when I got to the punchline. Cue the choking.

Great strip, now that I've recovered.

Alysar
2007-01-23, 10:09 AM
Poor Mr. Scruffy... I hope he feels better! :smallfrown:

Mr Scruffy could be fine and Shojo might have just been handing O-chul a line in order to get him to follow orders about hiding :nale::sabine::thog: in the dungeons.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-23, 10:20 AM
It's Elan's gift certificate that they're cashing in. Hence, Elan makes the request.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten about that.

octobergirl
2007-01-23, 10:30 AM
Oh, boy! There's just messes all over the place....Mr. Scruffy...Thog....:smalleek:

Ha! :smallbiggrin:

SteveMB
2007-01-23, 10:37 AM
Well either they will escape, or never make it into the jail to begin with, or perhaps Miko when she returns will consider them her allies because after OOTS are evil, so anyone they apprehend must be good...
I daresay she wouldn't be happy to learn that Shojo insisted on a proper trial for Belkar, but not for the OotS's prisoners....

SteveMB
2007-01-23, 10:40 AM
Is it me, or did Elan suddenly take over the leadership roles in this party? Isn't Roy the one who should be requesting things from teh NPC rulers of Paladin kingdoms?
Elan is the one who still has an IOU for one favor from Shojo. (Roy used his getting his sword reforged.)

Albion
2007-01-23, 10:49 AM
Oh no, Haley wouldn't know how to pick a lock.
THOG'S ACCIDENT? :eek:

teratorn
2007-01-23, 10:58 AM
I'm betting the "Thog's accident" thing was as much to get him out of the leprechaun outfit as it was to make the joke.

Ah that's not fair. Well, for one moment I thought Elan had taken Roy's place but then remembered it was his certificate. Nice strip but it probably means Xykon won't be arriving this week.

Jared_Arcane
2007-01-23, 11:08 AM
Poor Mr. Scruffy. Hey, maybe they can move his litter box into the no-magic cells. At least until he is feeling better.

As for Thog's accident, OH NO!!!:thog: :eek:

pendell
2007-01-23, 11:25 AM
I'd love to think that the giant is dabbling in political satire, but that might be a bit of a stretch for this particular episode.

Given how the giant absolutely hates real-life politics and real-life religion on these boards, I'd be surprised if he was doing anything but trying for the funny. This ain't "Doonsbury" (thank God).

... Although I must admit some curiosity as to how the Doonsbury characters would do as D&D characters ...

All in all, a funny strip. Lord Hinjo really got his point across.

"My dignity at -9hp" -- also a great line. Loved it!

Thoughts:

1) It's been several hours since Sabine got knocked out. Why hasn't she escaped via plane shift? Can a fiend from the darkest nether regions truly be held, not four rounds, not for turns, but for *hours and hours* with nothing but common rope?

2) Foreshadowing: Paladin guy is not happy with "imprisonment without trial". How much do you want to be LE Nale uses some lawful spinning about prisoners being held without trial to play the dude into letting him out? Then they kill him, of course. Paladin-guy gets a few seconds to reflect that just because someone is being held prisoner in an unlawful way DOESN'T mean said prisoner isn't a murderous, vicious b*stard.

3) Evil thought: Solve Belkar illusion problem by

taking it out and putting
an illusion spell on thog to make him look like Belkar, then put him in the cell.
Just make sure those bars are REALLY strong. No more "THOG SMASH PUNY PRISON!" thank you.

I'd prefer doing that to Nale, but the illusion can't function in the anti-magic cells and that's where you'd have to keep a magic-user.

4) Why doesn't EVERY jail have an anti-magic cell? Has Cliffport never had to put a magic-user in the drunk tank before?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Monstershach
2007-01-23, 12:09 PM
I agree, poor Mr. Scruffy. I hope he will recover fast.

The first to panels where funny althoug Haleys "Lock pick" comments are not groundbreaking but still a classic and good way for joke.

... and an interesting misstep on Shojo's part that may come back to bite him someday,...

Has it something to do with Shojo beeing strict regarding the capture of the LG?

Why ? :smallconfused:

Amon Star
2007-01-23, 12:19 PM
Does hold person hold bodily functions as well?

That's something WotC left up to our discretion. :smalltongue:

1) It's been several hours since Sabine got knocked out. Why hasn't she escaped via plane shift? Can a fiend from the darkest nether regions truly be held, not four rounds, not for turns, but for *hours and hours* with nothing but common rope?

She's also being Guarded by :vaarsuvius: and :durkon:. If she tries anything they can just knock her out.

3) Evil thought: Solve Belkar illusion problem by taking it out and putting an illusion spell on thog to make him look like Belkar, then put him in the cell. Just make sure those bars are REALLY strong. No more "THOG SMASH PUNY PRISON!" thank you.

:thog: acts nothing like :belkar:.

4) Why doesn't EVERY jail have an anti-magic cell? Has Cliffport never had to put a magic-user in the drunk tank before?[/QUOTE]

That one's easy. Most places can't afford them.

skinkatlarge
2007-01-23, 12:19 PM
Thoughts:

1) It's been several hours since Sabine got knocked out. Why hasn't she escaped via plane shift? Can a fiend from the darkest nether regions truly be held, not four rounds, not for turns, but for *hours and hours* with nothing but common rope? Yeah, or her polymorph ability. I've been wondering about that since the fight ended. I was trying to remember if 3.5 had some kind of "planar lock" spell, then I figured it would probably be a Conjuration spell which V couldn't use anyway. So, unless it's a cleric spell...

Well, Sabine can only plane shift once per day, and she last used it after (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) the parcheesi game started yesterday afternoon - there's still time to get her to the cell, though the OOTS shouldn't know that. Oh, plus, apparently in OOTSland, a demon's planeshifting takes on a gate-like form, so even if she could cast it, she'd still have to traverse the gate somehow. And hopefully V and Durkon can watch her closely enough that she can't just polymorph to escape. It would be a let down for them to escape this quickly because the OOTS (especially V) forgot about something so obvious. They should have dragged the LG to Shojo and the cells before Sabine had a chance to wake up, even if it was the middle of the night. Even if he was unavailable, surely they could get a cop/guardsman to arrest them and use it as a holding cell, just based on Sabine being a fiend.

2) Foreshadowing: Paladin guy is not happy with "imprisonment without trial". How much do you want to be LE Nale uses some lawful spinning about prisoners being held without trial to play the dude into letting him out? Then they kill him, of course. Paladin-guy gets a few seconds to reflect that just because someone is being held prisoner in an unlawful way DOESN'T mean said prisoner isn't a murderous, vicious b*stard.
I was thinking the same thing about the paladins' unhappiness (without speculating as far as you did), but Shojo is the law in AC. There is no Bill of Rights, Shojo is the hereditary ruler. As much as they might not like it, the paladin's duty to Law is to obey him. Heck, if they've done it this far, there can't be much wiggle room. :smallamused:

4) Why doesn't EVERY jail have an anti-magic cell? Has Cliffport never had to put a magic-user in the drunk tank before?Yeah, that was pointed out by someone when Elan was in jail. Cliffport has odd laws about using divination magic for trials, but I don't think the rationale for that would extend to neutralizing criminal magic-users. Best bet I can come up with is, anti magic cells are expensive, and Cliffport just isn't a big enough place to be able to afford one. (ninja'd by Amon Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=19466))

Sisqui
2007-01-23, 12:29 PM
If Thog can rage and break prison walls why hasn't he broken the ropes? How long does hold person last anyway?:smallconfused:

V Junior
2007-01-23, 12:39 PM
junior like how paladin people confuzzled about illu-thing belkar.

'he hasn't eaten for three weeks' could they not realise that it not belkar? i wood

Baeleck
2007-01-23, 12:41 PM
If Thog can rage and break prison walls why hasn't he broken the ropes? How long does hold person last anyway?:smallconfused:

Thog wouldn't rage. Or at least, not without provoking. The only reason Thog raged was because Elan made up a lie about Nale getting lost. Seeing as none of the Linear Guild can talk at the moment (they're gagged), Thog is unlikely to rage. He'll probably just sit there thinking about ice-cream etc.

MrNexx
2007-01-23, 01:52 PM
I just realized I was looking at the last panel and expecting Haley not to be able to speak.

teratorn
2007-01-23, 01:58 PM
I just realized I was looking at the last panel and expecting Haley not to be able to speak.

Yes, same thing here. But probably I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the cryptograms.

Sisqui
2007-01-23, 02:51 PM
Thog wouldn't rage. Or at least, not without provoking. The only reason Thog raged was because Elan made up a lie about Nale getting lost. Seeing as none of the Linear Guild can talk at the moment (they're gagged), Thog is unlikely to rage. He'll probably just sit there thinking about ice-cream etc.

If I was sitting in a puddle of "accident" I would rage!

Baeleck
2007-01-23, 02:53 PM

:smalleek: Oh gods! Yes, um... I forgot about that bit. Your point is still valid.

Angela Christine
2007-01-23, 03:23 PM

Especially if it ruined your spiffy green outfit. How is Thog supposed to get in touch with his inner greenness now?

:thog: how thog's pants turn wet?

On the other hand, his clothes probably just need to be washed, and then they'll be fine. If he rages his pants will turn purple and the rest of his outfit will be ripped to shreds. :smallfrown: Poor Thog.

Anyway, V could simply have used Suggestion on Thog, to keep him calm. The duration is 1 hour per level, so it should last as long as needed. Thog wasn't injured in the fight, just Held, so there is no reason why his eyes would be closed but in every frame we see him after he is tied up his eyes are closed. Perhaps V Suggested that he take a nice long nap, or close his eyes and sit quietly?

Ampersand
2007-01-23, 03:57 PM
Ugh to more Elan and Haley TMI PDA, but thankfully it only lasts one panel.

Shojo steals the show once again. This isn't as good as the "Teleport!" strip, but is still a winner. For a guy who pretends to be senile he's awfully good at browbeating people to get his way.

Nekkira
2007-01-23, 03:58 PM
Poor O-Chul...Sounds like my job some days.

Regarding why Thogs eyes would be closed: Hold Person only works a certain amount of time. If they needed him to stay out longer than that...well they might have had to hit him to subdue many times.

Mewtroid
2007-01-23, 04:10 PM
I especially liked Haley not shutting up about the whole lockpick thing, considering her previous condition. It's like now that she can actually TALK, she's doing her damnedest to get in a bubble or two every panel she possibly can.

MrNexx
2007-01-23, 04:37 PM
Actually, I figured she may have forgotten to self-edit, since people can understand her, now.

vbushido
2007-01-23, 04:40 PM
Dimensional Anchor, which both Durkon and V are likely to have, will keep Sabine from plane shifting. Place all three in Magic Circles against Evil and none of them are going anywhere until the OotS want to move them (up to 10 min/level and can be recast).

Haley does look cute with her tongue sticking out like that. Ah, the lovable simplicity of stick figures.

-----
Cats don't get into mischief. Cats are mischief.

Morty
2007-01-23, 05:09 PM
Just out of curiousity: how do they make antiagic cells? Antimagic field lasts only 10 minutes/level...

vbushido
2007-01-23, 05:30 PM
Just out of curiousity: how do they make antiagic cells? Antimagic field lasts only 10 minutes/level...

Most likely Antimagic Field with Permanancy. Not allowable by the core rules, but smell that homebrewin'. :smallsmile:

-----
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains because the average man can see better than he can think

pendell
2007-01-23, 06:20 PM
She's also being Guarded by :vaarsuvius: and :durkon:. If she tries anything they can just knock her out.

So why don't they just banish her and be done with it? And how were :vaarsuvius: and :durkon: guarding her while they were eating breakfast?

:thog: acts nothing like :belkar:.

So? We don't have to fool Roy .. we have to fuel some no-name Paladins who can't spot an illusion after weeks of it not eating.

Me thinks the guards were not hired for their quick thinking.

Oh, and my apologies to the guy above for not putting my comment in a "spoiler" notation. That is being rectified. Can someone gently point me to the rules on what does and does not constitute a spoiler, again? I'm still operating on the TV idea where a spoiler is something that happened in the last episode that not everyone's seen yet.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Demented One
2007-01-23, 06:25 PM
The "accident" line made me cackle evily.

Blood
2007-01-23, 06:46 PM
A "Meh" comic. Not bad, but not good either.

teratorn
2007-01-23, 07:13 PM

It depends on the number of clerics/wizards they have. A day has only 1440 minutes. No need to bend the rules. Each one of the town wizards just needs to cast the thing once a day at a given time.

Can someone gently point me to the rules on what does and does not constitute a spoiler, again? I'm still operating on the TV idea where a spoiler is something that happened in the last episode that not everyone's seen yet.
The Giant reads these forums some times, and it is considered a spoiler trying to give hints to the Giant. He doesn't like it and one should not do it. Any plot suggestion or idea should be hidden.

Bilbo27
2007-01-23, 08:24 PM
Is it me, or has Elan taken over the lead of the party and Roy is just a fighting tank?

Flabbicus
2007-01-23, 09:39 PM
Heh, duty. I get it.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-23, 09:48 PM
boy haley is a lot happier huh. so i'm gonna start a betting pool on how many strips before the LG esacpes, any takers?

BSOM180
2007-01-23, 10:20 PM
I really liked this one, it wasn't a side splitter but that's not a bad thing, if every comic was that funny then the Giant would be more godlike than he already is. I keep forgetting that :haley: can speak normally now, I'm so used to the jumbled letters. I didn't get on the forums in time to have someone else unscramble them so I had to when I found a comic I really wanted to read. So there went that bonus to joining the forums :smallsigh: but anywho. I can post about the funnies now yay!!! :smallbiggrin: [BTW: hi all]

Sky_Schemer
2007-01-24, 12:09 AM
But now I have a theory: These two strips exist because of O-chul. With the invasion of Azure City imminent, there may be a need for more paladins for us, the readers, to follow during the battle. These strips set up his character and personality for later use.

I think you're on to something with this theory...

It may also be, in part, a setup for a confrontation with Shojo later. We've established yet another secret he is hiding from his people.

Tobimaro
2007-01-24, 12:13 AM
Gotta like :haley: pointing out the security flaws of the Azure City jail, all the while denying that she (or anyone she knows) does not know how to pick a lock. And then her denying that she and :elan: both need to show the guards where the Linear Guild are at, just so that they can make out after the LG are collected by the guard. :smallwink:

And I too feel sorry for O-Chul. First he has to collect the LG from the inn, and then he has to help clean up after Mr Scruffy. Sounds like he would fit right in at my place of employment. :smallbiggrin:

Amon Star
2007-01-24, 06:43 AM
junior like how paladin people confuzzled about illu-thing belkar.

'he hasn't eaten for three weeks' could they not realise that it not belkar? i wood

Starvation in D&D only does D6 subdual damage a day and you a Fortitude Saving Throw to resist it. A high level Ranger/Barbarian like Belkar is easily going to pass a lot of those.

Most likely Antimagic Field with Permanancy. Not allowable by the core rules, but smell that homebrewin'. :smallsmile:

-----
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains because the average man can see better than he can think

I would imagine that the cell are Magic Item. Probably of the Wondrous Variety. No need to homebrew, as there are already rules for designing new ones.

So why don't they just banish her and be done with it?

Because they don't want her to return to the Lower Planes. That's why they didn't just kill her. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html

And how were :vaarsuvius: and :durkon: guarding her while they were eating breakfast?

The LG were lying next to there table. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html

So? We don't have to fool Roy .. we have to fuel some no-name Paladins who can't spot an illusion after weeks of it not eating.

Me thinks the guards were not hired for their quick thinking.

The illusion was specifically designed to act like :belkar:. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html. Also, even the dumbest of guards may realise something is amiss if the prisoner starts acting SO different.

Is it me, or has Elan taken over the lead of the party and Roy is just a fighting tank?

It was his favour that they were cashing in. Therefore, it only right that he does the speaking at that point.

jsh
2007-01-24, 10:01 AM
I love it when cartoon characters stick their tongues out. :haley:

skinkatlarge
2007-01-24, 10:34 AM
Oh, and my apologies to the guy above for not putting my comment in a "spoiler" notation. That is being rectified. Can someone gently point me to the rules on what does and does not constitute a spoiler, again? I'm still operating on the TV idea where a spoiler is something that happened in the last episode that not everyone's seen yet.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Any speculation or prediction, basically. Rich posted his plea here. At that point he said "From now on, ALL discussions of predictions or what might happen in the future regarding plot twists MUST be posted in a thread with the [spoiler] tag. All of it." I'm sure I remember something later saying that we can put them in non-spoiler threads like these main Discussion Threads, if we put them as spoilers, but I can't find that post with my quick search. Better to be cautious about it, IMO; no one wants to make the Giant unhappy.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-24, 10:53 AM
As this is a webcomic, with the click of a button you can go back to the "last episode" or previous comic, so that definition of spoilers is ruled out even without Burlew's definition.

OperationTREX
2007-01-24, 12:11 PM
heh.
a paladin's "duty", where doing your duty means cleaning doodie.

teratorn
2007-01-24, 01:24 PM
heh.
Now we know why Miko is so grumpy. As their best paladin she probably is the one doing most of the cleaning. Lord Shojo would want only the best for Mr. Scruffy.

fwiffo
2007-01-24, 01:31 PM
heh.

Ummm... That was just an incentive. Shojo is *playing* a senile old geezer preoccupied with his cat. So, when a subordinate needs a little encouragement, Shojo threatens him with an unpleasant cat task. There isn't really such a task - Shojo made it up when O-Chul expressed reservation about doing the real task that needed to be done.