PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Barbie Build 3.5

wegga77
2014-01-16, 10:05 AM
Hey Experts! I was hoping you guys could advice me. I have a human barbarian and I'm looking to do something interesting with my weaponry. I was thinking about doing two handed fighting with a bastard sword as my primary and a spiked shield in my left hand. I realize this isn't the most optimal for damage, but I like the idea of having my shield handy and being able to use it to either attack or defend. Am I really limiting myself by doing this or could this work really well?

Also, any suggestions on prestige classes that are part of the core 3.5 rules? My DM isn't really big on all the expansions.

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 11:05 AM
I can't help you myself, but here's a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525).

Also, take a greatsword. The Bastard sword kind of sucks. It takes a feat, and does a tiny, tiny bit more damage than a longsword, in one hand. Two-handed is far better than one, so a greatsword is your best bet. If you want to go for something fancy, there's the fullblade. 100 gp, 2d8 damage, exotic weapon. It's basically an extra large greatsword.

grarrrg
2014-01-16, 11:07 AM
Alright, hands in the air: Who came in here expecting a build based on a Fashion Doll?

Be honest!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-16, 11:10 AM
:raises hand: I did:smallredface:

Trilby
2014-01-16, 11:10 AM
Alright, hands in the air: Who came in here expecting a build based on a Fashion Doll?

Be honest!

Me :smalltongue: Though I was cautiously optimistic about lotsa meat and coals :smallcool:

Sian
2014-01-16, 11:29 AM
... why a link for 4e barb optimization?

Urpriest
2014-01-16, 11:34 AM
If you're going to use a shield, there's no reason to have a Bastard Sword. The benefit of a Bastard Sword is that you can switch between one-handed and two-handed use, which you can't do if you're wielding a shield.

You certainly can make a TWF-focused Barbarian, but you'll do a lot less damage than a two-handed weapon focused character because you won't be able to Power Attack with your shield spikes, and you'll only be getting a small AC boost out of the deal. So it doesn't seem worth it, unless you've got something particularly special you want to do with that shield.

wegga77
2014-01-16, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really get the fashion doll joke, maybe I didn't make the DC check. :-)

Well, my number one goal isn't damage. I've done that before. I like the idea of having some sort of shield angle with my character.

Any thoughts on taking some shield related heats like Shield Charge?

This seems pretty good to me:

Shield Charge
It allows you to charge your opponent and knock them down with your shield.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +3, Improved Shield Bash.
Benefit: If you successful hit your opponent with your Shield at the end of a Charge, you may make a Trip attack immediately without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If it fails, your opponent does not get an attempt to trip you.

I'm just trying to find something more interesting to do with my guy other than a greatsword.

Urpriest
2014-01-16, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really get the fashion doll joke, maybe I didn't make the DC check. :-)

Well, my number one goal isn't damage. I've done that before. I like the idea of having some sort of shield angle with my character.

Any thoughts on taking some shield related heats like Shield Charge?

This seems pretty good to me:

Shield Charge
It allows you to charge your opponent and knock them down with your shield.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +3, Improved Shield Bash.
Benefit: If you successful hit your opponent with your Shield at the end of a Charge, you may make a Trip attack immediately without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If it fails, your opponent does not get an attempt to trip you.

I'm just trying to find something more interesting to do with my guy other than a greatsword.

Well a few things:

First, Barbarian isn't all that great a class for shield-use. I guess you can take a few levels for the Str-boosts, but being a good shield-user requires a bunch of feats, so you'll probably be taking more Fighter levels.

Second, one thing that people suggest a lot is using a shield as your primary weapon, and wielding it in two hands. If you're interested in doing that (and other shield tricks), I'd suggest Person Man's Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630).

Telonius
2014-01-16, 11:53 AM

Be honest!

After that Gargamel/Smurf thread a couple places down, yeah. :smallbiggrin:

(Factotum/Chameleon with a hat of disguise, btw).

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-16, 12:48 PM

Be honest!

I was even pretty excited about it. I wasn't sure how we were going to do it, but it had 9 replies so I thought maybe you guys had come up with something.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-16, 12:52 PM
I thought about a thrallherd using the psionic sandwich trick into a doll and whose thralls are little girls.... and now it got creepy. Perfect for a BBEG.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-16, 12:58 PM
This suddenly became a thing.

My first thought was an Aristocrat 2 or something. I like your idea much better though.

Maybe a construct... made of a plasticlike material... Nope. Your thing is still vastly superior. Just to clarify, what's the sandwich trick?

limejuicepowder
2014-01-16, 01:07 PM
Another option for shield use is the buckler. Since it straps on the character's arm, it doesn't take up a hand. Since you seem to be prepared to spend a feat on something like this anyways, imp buckler defense allows you to attack with the buckler'd arm and still keep the defense bonus. The major (perhaps only) drawback of a buckler is no bashing.

Overall though, this will let you THF with a shield.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-16, 01:08 PM
It is a trick to transfer you your mind and consciousness to an inanimate objects while keeping your psionic powers.

Kennisiou
2014-01-16, 01:09 PM
Barbie's a factotum. How else do you explain the fact that she manages to have a different, high-skill job every two weeks?

Either that or an expert who makes liberal use of retraining rules.

Hangwind
2014-01-16, 01:10 PM
I... I totally want an actual Barbie build!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-16, 01:20 PM
Barbie's a factotum. How else do you explain the fact that she manages to have a different, high-skill job every two weeks?

Either that or an expert who makes liberal use of retraining rules.

I... I totally want an actual Barbie build!

I made a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16803498#post16803498) so we can stop derailing this thread.

wegga77
2014-01-16, 02:03 PM
I'm glad I brought so much entertainment to this forum today. :-) May I suggest a Ken build too?

Thanks guys for giving me some advice on this. The buckler idea sounds interesting.

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 03:02 PM
... why a link for 4e barb optimization?
What? What're you talking about? :smallconfused: I totally didn't link the first two guides google gave me without looking first...
On a side note, Barbie (the doll) is quite a bit like D&D 4e; neither is very realistic.

grarrrg
2014-01-16, 10:50 PM
On a side note, Barbie (the doll) is quite a bit like D&D 4e; neither is very realistic.

*rimshot*

Also, my apologies for the mass thread derail.
But, in retrospect, it was totally worth it :smallbiggrin: