PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a fitting shadowrunning nickname

Kol Korran
2014-01-16, 10:11 AM
Hey there folks! Our group might open a secondary game, and this time it's shadowrun! :smallwink: I'm quite excited, but I can't think up a suitable "professional" Name for the shadows. I was hoping you might help?

background
The character has worked for one of the mega coorperations, first in various social, negotiating and bargaining positions, (He's supposed to act as the face of the party), but due to his obssession with secrets, politics, thinking out of the box and such, has been subtly converted to the role of a fixer. He has enjoyed this role for quite some time, but ambition, and a growing sense of paranoia and conspirations got the better of him. (Hey, this IS shadowrun! :smalltongue:)

He was contacted by a strange trickster mentor spirit, who saw some potential in him. They "gamed" with each other mentally a bit, trying to out do each other. (My character is somewhat proud and though he is quite clever, he thinks he is more clever than he really is.) Long story short- they sort of bound each other. He developed magical abilites, mostly those connected to trickery (Illusion and Manipulation spells and spirits mostly), but in many ways, he is still at his starting career as a mage.

Growing more ambitious, he decided to try soem bigger cons, some at... dangerous avenues. (I haven't settled these details yet). But he was found out. A matrix contact send him a message "They are on to you. You got 20 minutes", which turned his life upside down. Being the paranoid he is, he has somewhat prepared for this, and quickly disappeared into the shadows, become part of the world he once tried to run, only from the other end. His SIN was made criminal, and his life ruined, he now seeks to rebuild himself, seeks out his enemies, and have his revenge.

Personality
I'm making him somewhat flawed. Though he does act and work as a professional, he has his little quirks and temptations. The guy is a hustler, gambler, and trickster. He is quite amibtious, lieks to hink big. He is proud, and puts on a very confident image, but inside he is suspicious, paranoid, and always thinks not all is shown.

This acts as a face, and tries to adapt to the people he meets. He values people, and makes sure to keep the contacts (that have remained after the incrimination) well preserved. Though he is a trickster, he knows that conning goes only so far, and tries to avoid that with tea mates, colleagues and contacts. (His mentor spirit may make that difficult at times). He is also somewhat of a showman, and like to think himself as a grand actor on the stage of life.

He has lived in the slums in his childhood, and knows hardships, but rose through manipulation, talent, and being ruthless when needed. He is not cruel though. He likes the finer things, and knows many restaurants, hand outs, entertainment, fashion and the like (Came with the old job). He considers himself a man of some class.

About the name
This guy considers his shadowrunning name somewhat of a calling card, but he seeks it to be intriguing, alluring, generating curiousity, but not flashy or crass. Something subtle, with class and finesse, hinting of a professional. Bearing some pride, he might put some hints to his abilities in his name, but not something obvious, to deter any people still searching for him.

I'm having quite a few problems with this...
Some Ideas so far, that I'm not that pleased with:
- The showman
- Alias
- Flick
- Mirage
- Mask
- Secret Ace (Refers to a card game)
- Loaded dice
- Enigma
- Twist
- Silk
- The Fix it/ Mr. Johns (I feel this might cause problem with fixers or employers though. It will either amuse them or angry them)

Any ideas out there? Sorry for the long read. Looking for the name that will feel "just right". :smallamused:
Thanks in advance!

CombatOwl
2014-01-16, 10:40 AM
Hey there folks! Our group might open a secondary game, and this time it's shadowrun! :smallwink: I'm quite excited, but I can't think up a suitable "professional" Name for the shadows. I was hoping you might help?

background
The character has worked for one of the mega coorperations, first in various social, negotiating and bargaining positions, (He's supposed to act as the face of the party), but due to his obssession with secrets, politics, thinking out of the box and such, has been subtly converted to the role of a fixer. He has enjoyed this role for quite some time, but ambition, and a growing sense of paranoia and conspirations got the better of him. (Hey, this IS shadowrun! :smalltongue:)

He was contacted by a strange trickster mentor spirit, who saw some potential in him. They "gamed" with each other mentally a bit, trying to out do each other. (My character is somewhat proud and though he is quite clever, he thinks he is more clever than he really is.) Long story short- they sort of bound each other. He developed magical abilites, mostly those connected to trickery (Illusion and Manipulation spells and spirits mostly), but in many ways, he is still at his starting career as a mage.

Growing more ambitious, he decided to try soem bigger cons, some at... dangerous avenues. (I haven't settled these details yet). But he was found out. A matrix contact send him a message "They are on to you. You got 20 minutes", which turned his life upside down. Being the paranoid he is, he has somewhat prepared for this, and quickly disappeared into the shadows, become part of the world he once tried to run, only from the other end. His SIN was made criminal, and his life ruined, he now seeks to rebuild himself, seeks out his enemies, and have his revenge.

Personality
I'm making him somewhat flawed. Though he does act and work as a professional, he has his little quirks and temptations. The guy is a hustler, gambler, and trickster. He is quite amibtious, lieks to hink big. He is proud, and puts on a very confident image, but inside he is suspicious, paranoid, and always thinks not all is shown.

This acts as a face, and tries to adapt to the people he meets. He values people, and makes sure to keep the contacts (that have remained after the incrimination) well preserved. Though he is a trickster, he knows that conning goes only so far, and tries to avoid that with tea mates, colleagues and contacts. (His mentor spirit may make that difficult at times). He is also somewhat of a showman, and like to think himself as a grand actor on the stage of life.

He has lived in the slums in his childhood, and knows hardships, but rose through manipulation, talent, and being ruthless when needed. He is not cruel though. He likes the finer things, and knows many restaurants, hand outs, entertainment, fashion and the like (Came with the old job). He considers himself a man of some class.

About the name
This guy considers his shadowrunning name somewhat of a calling card, but he seeks it to be intriguing, alluring, generating curiousity, but not flashy or crass. Something subtle, with class and finesse, hinting of a professional. Bearing some pride, he might put some hints to his abilities in his name, but not something obvious, to deter any people still searching for him.

I'm having quite a few problems with this...
Some Ideas so far, that I'm not that pleased with:
- The showman
- Alias
- Flick
- Mirage
- Mask
- Secret Ace (Refers to a card game)
- Loaded dice
- Enigma
- Twist
- Silk
- The Fix it/ Mr. Johns (I feel this might cause problem with fixers or employers though. It will either amuse them or angry them)

Any ideas out there? Sorry for the long read. Looking for the name that will feel "just right". :smallamused:
Thanks in advance!

You get to pick your own street name? In all of my shadowrun games, the group picks your streetname, usually at the end of the first run, based on what you did. Usually what you screwed up.

erikun
2014-01-16, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that thought comes to me too. Are we talking about what the character calls themselves, or what other people call the character? :smalltongue: I'm sure the character would come up with a name that is properly showboaty and conceited - perhaps what he used as a fixer. Probably something like "The Fixer Man" or "Mr. Job Done".

If we're talking about how others see him, then it's probably closer to a blowhard, or someone who thinks they're amazing but don't really know what they're doing. "Bagpipes" seems like it could be fitting, especially if the character in question is scottish. :smallbiggrin: