PDA

View Full Version : Class Combo Question [3.5][Gestalt]

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 10:49 AM
Ok so my DM is allowing us to level to 6 and then we kinda go stagnent but only our Saves increase by level (He believes level 6 is when the game is best balanced)

So I wanted a good class that works well together early.
I am gonna go Harpoon or Net and Trident focused weapon wise.
So I thought of Duskblade//Swashbuckler but I wanted to know how well the two go into one another.

Is there any PrCs someone would recommend that I can get into by level 5 or 6 (As in be the PrC by level 6) for either the Swashbuckler or Duskblade?

Any feat combos that would just make this character better?
Together they would grant d10 HD, 4+Int Skills, Good Fort and Will, Poor Reflex, Full BAB

heavyfuel
2014-01-16, 11:01 AM
If you want to go Duskblade, I'd persnally go Duskblade//Rogue. You get a d8 instead of a d10, but that's only 7hp less on average at lv6, you also get 8+int skills with better skills to spend your skillpoints on, all 3 good saves, and you can choose to get either SA or Fighter Feats while still having full BAB. Not only that, but if you choose to for SA, the duskblade gets Swift Invisibility, which couples really well by making opponents flat-footed (though my personal recommendation is to go for fighter feats)

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 11:13 AM
Duskblade//Factotum can be pretty cool.

Incarnate is a very good gestalt class, though it doesn't get you much outside of meldshaping (2 skills, bad BAB, one good save).

In Gestalt, you generally want one more active class and one more passive class. Duskblade is an active class, and swashbuckler is most certainly not passive. From that combination you will gain very little.

What do you mean you "go stagnant?" Are you just playing E6, or is it something else?

Try looking up handbooks for any base class you want to use; they are very useful.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 11:17 AM
We stop leveling at level 6, but when we reach the EXP for level 7 or so our saves increase normally but not our BAB or class features.

Well its mostly Core (Player Handbooks, DMG, MM, Complete books)

Socratov
2014-01-16, 12:27 PM
Ok, this seems like an Int fighter, so we want non str. based damage, which means precision damage. fortunately both Rogue and Swashbuckler give it. Now, let's go trick this out yes?

first you will want to be an grey elf. More int is good for you. Defense is nice, but you will have grace, dodge and nice dex, so you'll be fine. Now if only there was a way to combine rogue and swashbuckler into awesome...

Duskblade//Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 2

Get Daring Outlaw at 6 and you are golden. You'll have the best of both worlds: int to damage, reasonable bab, sneak attack, defences but here is the kicker: martial(elf) weapons. You get Weapon finesse, so let's use that shall we? I recommend an Elven Thinblade. It's like a bastardchild of a rapier and a longsword, with all the best attributes (best dmg of the 2, best critrange of the 2, best looks of them, etc.). So, now we have this, the rest is up to you. Maybe get craven? Maybe get something else, anyway, you will be a smart-ass wisecracking backstabbing son (or daughter) of a tree. Also, you will have a license to be arrogant :smallcool:

Perpetr8r
2014-01-16, 12:40 PM
Interesting and fun looking build. But I got a question for ya. I am gonna be using the Harpoon as a lock down weapon to allow flat foot, after all if you pin the baddie down with harpoons and the like you can come up from behind and stab the crap out of him.

Socratov
2014-01-17, 05:46 AM
Interesting and fun looking build. But I got a question for ya. I am gonna be using the Harpoon as a lock down weapon to allow flat foot, after all if you pin the baddie down with harpoons and the like you can come up from behind and stab the crap out of him.

Well, I think a harpoon is not that optimal and that you are better off using your swift action invisibility to take care of triggering sneak attacks. Another tactic is using your partymembers as a flankingbuddy which also triggers sneak attack. Remember that pinning someone down with a weapon takes time, time which is better spent sneak attacking and casting.

Nightraiderx
2014-01-17, 11:13 AM
Duskblade//Swordsage 4/Spelltheif 1/Rogue 1

2d6 SA (4d6 with assassin stance martial stance feat)

You will want wracking touch (2nd lvl necromancy spell) with Feat: Precocious Apprentice
Now you can Sneak attack when you want it.

Another feat: Master Spellthief (allowing you to steal 2nd lvl spells)

This allows you to have a nice set up for future feats:
1: Martial Stance: Obtain as many 3rd level utility stances as you wish (spider climb comes to mind as well as scent)

2: Craven is good for that extra damage boost +6
3: Mobile Spellcasting- yes this works you can effectively spring attack and combat cast at the same time.
4: Arcane Thesis+Metamagic+Accelerate Metamagic
And then you can start getting fancy with these getting Fell Fright/Weaken
and other such stuff.
5: Shadow Blade for that little more oomph in your damage with 1.5 str +dex

Sun Sword (Castle Ravenloft version) now it's a short sword with bastard sword damage (best of both shadow blade and power attacking)

Urpriest
2014-01-17, 03:07 PM
I think you're misunderstanding your DM. There's no reason for saves to increase if nothing else is scaling.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-17, 03:48 PM
Nope that was exactly his wording. He cited it as the exception so maybe I will have to point this out to him or else he will just make the monsters harder which makes no sense given I dont believe our HD or Skills will increase as he didn't say anything.

Sorcerer//Ranger is that a good idea for a ranged fighter of sorts?