PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder build help - vivisectionist/arcane bomber

pippin369
2014-01-16, 02:44 PM
I don't know much about Pathfinders (never having played a game of it.) but i am interested in playing and am working on a character. my idea was to be a vivisectionist but take my first 1-3 levels on arcane bomber to retain some bomb use. i don't know if this would work or if this " This ability stacks with the alchemist bomb ability to determine the level of bomb damage" means i get the alchemists non discovery bonuses to bomb on my arcane bombs.

sorry if this was a stupid question.

thanks

pippin

stack
2014-01-16, 04:46 PM
You don't get the bomb ability as a vivisectionist, so your bombs would be stuck at 2d6. You could apply discoveries to them, though, but your DC would stink since it wouldn't scale without wizard levels.

pippin369
2014-01-16, 05:39 PM
umm im pretty sure that it (arcane bomber rules) says that I can throw bombs but i cant modify them with a discovery :smallfrown: and what i meant with non discovery bomb upgrades was stuff like Bomb-thrower and the Bomb now does 4 d6, or would i not get those because of vivisectionist?

thanks for your help so far (i didnt get the significance of DC)

Pippin

EDIT: I am kind-of basing this character on a war game character called Gorman de wulfe his stats go like this; immunity to acid and fire, alchemic grenades that blind, corrode or rust (the game is centered around constructs) he also has daggers, smoke bombs and a mask that ignores gas (damage) and cloud (sight) effects.

stack
2014-01-16, 08:35 PM
Alchemist levels will not upgrade your bomb damage because vivisectionist does not have the bomb ability. A normal alchemist would advance them. I didn't recall the bit about discoveries not affecting arcane bombs.

DC is the difficulty of the saving throw for an ability. In this case, it is the saving throw required to not be effected by splash damage or various discoveries that modify your bombs, like stink bombs, madness bombs. Bomb DC is equal to 10+alchemist level/2+INT modifier.

Generally, arcane bomber is not going to be worth the trouble. its not a good archetype.

Ed - for that character, go straight alchemist, it will work fine. A goz mask/fog cutter lenses let you see through cloud effects and discoveries give you everything you need bomb-wise.

pippin369
2014-01-16, 09:46 PM
thanks for your help, its helped clear allot of things up. Next thing im gonna do is check for any mutagen or cognatogen that i could use with bombs (im not going to use the vivisectionist anymore it wouldn't work for my character)
also can I use cognatogen with master chymists mutate? Someone else asked this on paizo, the post was called Feral cognatogen: is it legal? they go into it with more detail.

Also on that page i found this: "I made a combo like that using cognatogens once. I buffed my Int a bunch and and used the explosive missile discovery to strap it to a crossbow bolt. I also took focused shot so my bolt/bomb would do bolt damage + bomb damage + int mod (from focused shot) + int mod (from bombs). Oh and plus splash damage." - Cratai

looks intresting

thanks again

pippin