PDA

View Full Version : Did Serini Scry the Order?

ZMiles
2014-01-16, 06:22 PM
In strip 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html), it looks like someone or something sees the Order -- a big eye-like thing appears as they prepare to leave the desert. This hasn't come up again in the strip either, as neither Team Tarquin, Team Evil, or the Linear Guild ever mentioned any of their members casting a spell to watch them. (Plus, none of them had any reason to think the Order was there anyway--Tarquin didn't know about the Gate, Nale didn't know about the false location, and Xykon had access to the real coordinates).

But Serini, who was friends with Girard, might have known about the false location. She might even be clued-in as to whether or not the trap has been triggered--if Girard trusted her enough to tell her the real Gate coordinates, he might trust her enough to tell her about the decoy in case some enemy comes looking for the Gate. That would neatly explain both how and why someone decided to check up on that location at that point.

It could also lead into a new narrative hook--now Serini has seen the order, but she knows just that they tried to access the Gate without permission. All she knows is that the other 4 Gates were destroyed, she can't get in touch with Girard, and these guys showed up shortly before the 4th Gate's destriction. That could be used for some hostility later on, when the Order really needs to work with her to beat Xykes.

Astral Avenger
2014-01-16, 06:25 PM
Pretty sure that was Zzitri. I cant remember if the giant ever actually flat out said that or if it was some comment about hinting that Z was still around before nale attacked.

hagnat
2014-01-16, 06:26 PM
it was Z scrying the order for Nale

Cizak
2014-01-16, 06:27 PM
And a quote for good measure. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14733248#post14733248)

Thanks ThePhantasm and the Index.

oppyu
2014-01-16, 07:15 PM
There's at least one forum regular who has that quote in their signature, out of presumed frustration that people keep bringing it up. :smallbiggrin:

Cizak
2014-01-16, 07:39 PM
To be fair, it isn't that clear. It's one of the few things I think Rich could have done better, and if I recall crrectly he said he would clarify it in a bonus strip in the book.

Porthos
2014-01-16, 07:44 PM
To be fair, it isn't that clear. It's one of the few things I think Rich could have done better, and if I recall crrectly he said he would clarify it in a bonus strip in the book.

That only helps people who read the books. :smallwink:

Peelee
2014-01-16, 08:22 PM
That only helps people who read the books. :smallwink:

Gift Jeraff helps all others.

pennzqwu
2014-01-16, 09:21 PM
As does Sir Leonik, IIRC.

Paseo H
2014-01-16, 10:42 PM
Right, but just to be absolutely sure, it was not Serini, am I understanding that correctly? :smallamused:

FujinAkari
2014-01-16, 10:50 PM
Yes, the scrying beacon was Zz'dtri, checking up on Elan at Nale's request. It was primarily a bit of foreshadowing that Zz'dtri was coming back, since at that point no one expected him to ever show up again. You'll note that Nale confirms that he's been keeping tabs on Elan right after Z reveals himself (both to V and the reader).

Correct. Zz'dtri is not Serini, though they DO both have 6-letter names.

Cavenskull
2014-01-16, 11:55 PM
Gift Jeraff helps all others.
He tries anyway. I think this thread is a subtle clue that perhaps he's fighting a losing battle. :smallwink:

Shale
2014-01-17, 12:28 AM
Before he changed his signature these topics cropped up every week, and now we're down to one a month, maybe less. Progress!

Procyonpi
2014-01-17, 01:10 AM
...People are still making these threads?

jere7my
2014-01-17, 01:15 AM
...People are still making these threads?

And they will until we get a definitive answer. Right now, there's just no way to know whether it was Serini or, as I believe, someone in Tarquin's party.

Ridureyu
2014-01-17, 01:22 AM
And they will until we get a definitive answer. Right now, there's just no way to know whether it was Serini or, as I believe, someone in Tarquin's party.

Here is your definitive answer:

Yes, the scrying beacon was Zz'dtri, checking up on Elan at Nale's request. It was primarily a bit of foreshadowing that Zz'dtri was coming back, since at that point no one expected him to ever show up again. You'll note that Nale confirms that he's been keeping tabs on Elan right after Z reveals himself (both to V and the reader).

Thokk_Smash
2014-01-17, 01:23 AM

Aside from the quote from the Giant specifying that it was Z's scrying sensor (which, I admit, won't be of much help for non-forumites), the sensor-eye is green. Z's magic mist/aura is green. The inference can be made without outside help.

jere7my
2014-01-17, 01:45 AM
Here is your definitive answer:

I said a DEFINITIVE answer. There's just no way to know.

Has anyone suggested maybe it was Vaarsuvius's mentor?

Tebryn
2014-01-17, 01:53 AM

The author saying "It was this character" isn't definitive enough for you? What exactly are you expecting?

Thokk_Smash
2014-01-17, 01:59 AM
The author saying "It was this character" isn't definitive enough for you? What exactly are you expecting?

More than likely he's being intentionally obtuse for his own amusement. Best not to continue asking.

jere7my
2014-01-17, 02:08 AM

Well, for instance, do we have any proof that it wasn't Girard? It could very well tie into Girard's Buttcheeks (which I'm guessing is where Ian is hiding, near the true gate).

Scow2
2014-01-17, 03:38 AM
Well, for instance, do we have any proof that it wasn't Girard? It could very well tie into Girard's Buttcheeks (which I'm guessing is where Ian is hiding, near the true gate).

Yes, we do have proof. Namely, the author outright stating who it was, and showing it in a bonus strip in a book.

oppyu
2014-01-17, 04:00 AM
Yes, we do have proof. Namely, the author outright stating who it was, and showing it in a bonus strip in a book.
That's all well and good, but is there any proof?

Tebryn
2014-01-17, 04:10 AM
That's all well and good, but is there any proof?

Yes. Or are you using "Proof" as in "Is there Evidence"? Because there is no better evidence than the author of the story telling you the answer.

oppyu
2014-01-17, 04:20 AM
Yes. Or are you using "Proof" as in "Is there Evidence"? Because there is no better evidence than the author of the story telling you the answer.
I understand that, but is there any proof?

Bulldog Psion
2014-01-17, 04:29 AM
This thread has taken a hilarious turn. :smallbiggrin:

BramsesII
2014-01-17, 04:42 AM
This thread has taken a hilarious turn. :smallbiggrin:

It may look like it has, but is there any real proof for it?

Tebryn
2014-01-17, 05:07 AM
I understand that, but is there any proof?

Oh internet sarcasm.

Ghost Nappa
2014-01-17, 08:15 AM
Oh internet sarcasm.

Is there any proof this is sarcasm?

DeliaP
2014-01-17, 09:46 AM

But they are anagrams* of each others names, so maybe that's a hint that they're really the same person. Which means that Durkula probably killed Serini to prevent her revealing the truth about the Snarl. He must be in league with the IFCC.

*Provided you use an appropriate substitution code.

Amphiox
2014-01-17, 11:27 AM
A little meta here, but the persistence of the confusion over that decrying episode in the forum means that this comic and this forum is still actively attracting new audience members and participants, joining after and thus missing the threads that explained it.

It must surely warm The Giant's heart....

martianmister
2014-01-21, 04:29 PM
I still believe it was Eugene or Oracle.

ti'esar
2014-01-21, 04:35 PM

What on earth would you consider a "definitive" answer if not an explicit statement by Rich?

jere7my
2014-01-21, 05:13 PM
What on earth would you consider a "definitive" answer if not an explicit statement by Rich?

Well, something like panel 12 of strip 698.

Gift Jeraff
2014-01-21, 05:37 PM
It was Durkon.

Now the real question is why the elven ambassador was glaring at V.

ORione
2014-01-21, 06:37 PM
Well, something like panel 12 of strip 698.

Roy looking at a map?

jere7my
2014-01-21, 07:16 PM
Roy looking at a map?

Sorry; I meant 689. Typo!

Lettuce
2014-01-21, 11:05 PM

:smallconfused:

I think panel 11 is what really makes it clear.

ti'esar
2014-01-21, 11:07 PM

I'm guessing there's another typo as well, as 689 only has 10 panels (and none of them really make sense in context anyway).

jere7my
2014-01-21, 11:20 PM
I'm guessing there's another typo as well, as 689 only has 10 panels (and none of them really make sense in context anyway).

Okay, think of it this way: the Order is about to retreat through the rift, right? That would be a perfect time to find out if Girard is dead or not, since the rift is between his buttcheeks, and if he's not then he could have been scrying on them.

I think panel 11 is what really makes it clear.

Oo, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that. Nice catch!

factotum
2014-01-22, 02:52 AM

I think he was being sarcastic...

ti'esar
2014-01-22, 04:24 AM
I think he was being sarcastic...

Well, I figured that out now. But it's genuinely indistinguishable from posts I've seen people seriously make on this subject, so...

Socksy
2014-01-22, 01:50 PM

Shhhh, you'll attract the Homestucks...