PDA

View Full Version : Thicket of Blades, why bother?

G.Cube
2014-01-16, 06:35 PM
I just learned over in the Q&A thread that an opponent can tumble past Thicket of Blades. It seems to me that when you hit high levels this will rendrr the Stance useless more and more often as you meet opponents that can meet the DC 15 tumble check to move past you more and more easily, some may even reach it automatically. Is this truly the case? Is Knight 3 the only way to combat this?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-16, 06:39 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. It specifically says that ANY sort of movement triggers an AoO, and then says "even a 5-foot step." That looks to me like tumbling, as it is a sort of movement, will still trigger.

Melcar
2014-01-16, 06:42 PM
If you are a tripper, its SO good. But check FAQ... I'm pretty sure I remember it clearing that op.

Thurbane
2014-01-16, 06:43 PM
Um, because majority of opponents often won't even have ranks in Tumble?

Deophaun
2014-01-16, 06:50 PM
I just learned over in the Q&A thread that an opponent can tumble past Thicket of Blades.
This is "ask your DM territory," as you're dealing with an irresistible force meeting an immovable object. But generally, tumble isn't all that common of a skill, and it must be trained to be used at all, so even enemies with Dex scores in the upper stratosphere might be unable to tumble.

Darrin
2014-01-16, 07:31 PM
If you are a tripper, its SO good. But check FAQ... I'm pretty sure I remember it clearing that op.

Nope. This is one of the great unsolved mysteries of the Tome of Battle. DM's Call to decide what trumps what.

MirddinEmris
2014-01-16, 10:12 PM
Even if they can Tumble past your Thicket of Blades, it still means that they waste their move action to do that, so, no full-attacking this round (or any other full-round actions). And AoO still triggers on 5ft step, which is one of the most common ways to get out of threat zone.

SinsI
2014-01-16, 10:17 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. It specifically says that ANY sort of movement triggers an AoO, and then says "even a 5-foot step." That looks to me like tumbling, as it is a sort of movement, will still trigger.

Not even that. It absolutely stops tumble dead on, as otherwise it would have no effect at all besides stopping only 5-foot step, so wording would have no need to include any mention of any other movement.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-16, 10:23 PM
Not even that. It absolutely stops tumble dead on, as otherwise it would have no effect at all besides stopping only 5-foot step, so wording would have no need to include any mention of any other movement.

Well, there's also the withdraw action to be stopped. Still, I'm firmly in the "Thicket of Blades stops tumble" camp.