PDA

View Full Version : Double weapons that don't look terrible.

Elric VIII
2014-01-16, 08:20 PM
I'm making a meleeficer that will be a knight by trade. I plan on taking EWP in order to use something other than a mace. I was thinking that the best way to not feel like this feat was a waste is by using a double weapon to get two wand chambers.

Barring a homebrew weapon, does anyone know of double weapons that aren't just two of the same weapon glued together at the handle? I'm looking for something like the Gnome Hooked Hammer or Dwarven Urgrosh from the non-core books.

Azoth
2014-01-16, 08:54 PM
If you just want two wand chambers go with a quarter staff for no feat. Hell combo that with a pair of spiked gauhtlets or normal gauntlets and you get 4 always held wand chambers.

Darrin
2014-01-16, 08:55 PM
Barring a homebrew weapon, does anyone know of double weapons that aren't just two weapons glued together at the handle? I'm looking for something like the Gnome Hooked Hammer or Dwarven Urgrosh from the non-core books.

Elvencraft longbow = quarterstaff (Races of the Wild). Ranged, melee, two wand chambers (or three if you count the longbow), no need for EWP.

Also, although I hate Combat Expertise, I was always fond of the longstaff (Complete Adventurer) for the "no flanking, nope, not even then" feature.

Monk's Spade (Secrets of Sarlona) is also kinda nice. 1d8/1d8, can be either bludgeoning or slashing, flurryable, can pretend you're not armed, can be used to bury your enemies (literally), and also comes with some quote-worthy tag-lines: "I shovel well."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-16, 10:35 PM
Elvencraft Longbow is probably going to be your most optimal choice. Three wand chambers, it can be enchanted as three separate weapons for things like Eager, Warning, Parrying, Illithidwrought, etc. Plus you can put Defending on all three and Greater Magic Weapon them, and you can get stacking AC bonuses from all of them. Additionally, being a staff, it can be enchanted to hold charged spells just as a magic staff.

You can even pick up Eilservs School from Drow of the Underdark for free staff activation when you hit with both ends. Note that when making a full attack, you only take TWF penalties if you're using an extra weapon to gain an additional attack. You can use the other end to make an iterative attack, and even get two-handed damage with both ends, to activate Eilservs School without taking TWF penalties.

Snowbluff
2014-01-16, 10:38 PM
Spiked Gauntlet in Left Hand: 1 Wand Chamber.

Spiked Gauntlet in Right Hand: 1 Wand Chamber.

Spike Dastana: 1 Wand Chamber.

I am seconding the Elvencraft Longbow. They are the best things ever invented.

Rubik
2014-01-16, 10:46 PM
Even better than an elvencraft longbow, take that ECLB and add a bayonet from C.Scoundrel. Four wand chambers and four sets of Defending enhancements for one weapon? Sure! Also give yourself an animated spiked shield, as both the shield and the spikes are listed as separate weapons (and can thus have separate wand chambers), and adding armor spikes to whatever you're wearing allows you to do the same.

And then there are sleeve blades, boot blades, braid blades, tail scythe or tail club, and possibly something to add to your wings, if you have them. You can also add a second pair of arms via the mighty arms graft from Faiths of Eberron for 1,000 gp. You don't get additional item slots without feats (see: Savage Species), but you can still wield weapons, and thus wield two extra gauntlets and another bayonetted elvencraft longbow, all with extra wand chambers.

And don't forget the wand bracers from Dungeonscape. That's an extra 5 wands per arm.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-16, 11:05 PM
Spiked Gauntlet in Left Hand: 1 Wand Chamber.

Spiked Gauntlet in Right Hand: 1 Wand Chamber.

Spike Dastana: 1 Wand Chamber.

I am seconding the Elvencraft Longbow. They are the best things ever invented.

You can only put a Wand Chamber on a weapon that has a handle, gauntlets and armor spikes don't have any handles.

Rubik
2014-01-16, 11:14 PM
You can only put a Wand Chamber on a weapon that has a handle, gauntlets and armor spikes don't have any handles.Gauntlets do, however, have forearm guards that could easily fit a wand.

http://rosemarieberger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/gauntlet.jpg

And one of the armor spikes could be long enough to fit a wand into.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-17, 12:15 AM
Gauntlets do, however, have forearm guards that could easily fit a wand.

And one of the armor spikes could be long enough to fit a wand into.

It doesn't matter if there's a large enough area to have a hollow spot for a wand, it wouldn't function as a wand chamber, because it specifically has to go in the handle of a weapon:

"A wand chamber is a thin, cylindrical slot on the handle of a weapon or the edge of a shield that can hold a single wand."

No handle, no wand chamber.

Snowbluff
2014-01-17, 12:23 AM
*adds a handle to the inside of a gauntlet*

2 Bucklers would give your 2 wand chambers as well.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 12:26 AM
It doesn't matter if there's a large enough area to have a hollow spot for a wand, it wouldn't function as a wand chamber, because it specifically has to go in the handle of a weapon:

"A wand chamber is a thin, cylindrical slot on the handle of a weapon or the edge of a shield that can hold a single wand."

No handle, no wand chamber.But gauntlets do have handles.

han·dle
ˈhandl/
noun
noun: handle; plural noun: handles

the part by which a thing is held, carried, or controlled.You stick your hand in a gauntlet to wear it, and you control the movement of the gauntlet in that fashion.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-17, 12:30 AM
But gauntlets do have handles.

You stick your hand in a gauntlet to wear it, and you control the movement of the gauntlet in that fashion.

Good luck convincing a DM that any part of a heavy glove constitutes a handle.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 12:55 AM
Good luck convincing a DM that any part of a heavy glove constitutes a handle.The whole thing is basically a handle.

Azoth
2014-01-17, 01:00 AM
I have had several DMs let me put wand chambers on gauntlets. Fluffed as a raised ridge as part of the decoration or that my spikes came off of. If you put a wand chamber in a spiked chain of all frelling weapons, you can put one in a gauntlet.

Alefiend
2014-01-17, 01:23 AM
Why not just go all out (http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/NCallahan_album/Grimm_poster.jpg)? You know you want to.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-17, 01:47 AM
Why not just go all out (http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/NCallahan_album/Grimm_poster.jpg)? You know you want to.

I think you meant something like this...
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/NCallahan_album/Grimm_poster.jpg

Rubik
2014-01-17, 02:13 AM
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/NCallahan_album/Grimm_poster.jpgAs if seeing that once wasn't enough.

TroubleBrewing
2014-01-17, 05:33 AM
Oh man, I wish my group would agree to my demands that I be allowed to run a full-blown L.H. Franzibald game.

Alefiend
2014-01-17, 05:53 AM
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/NCallahan_album/Grimm_poster.jpg

Yes. Dangit, it looked fine in preview.

Elric VIII
2014-01-17, 10:37 AM
I was hoping for something more knight-ly (read: pointy and stabby) than a quarterstaff, but that does seem to be the most mechanically sound option.

Also, thanks for all of the wand chamber ideas. That could be fun. I seem to recall that there is also a buckler that lets you scribe scrolls onto it, I could add a wand chamber to that as well.

Joe the Rat
2014-01-17, 11:16 AM
If you want a little more stabby, there's the Dwarven Double Spear (Races of Stone). Damage isn't fantastic (1d8 medium), but you get two stabby spear heads, and it lets you do slashing as well, and has the set against charge. It still looks like two spears stuck together... or rather a spear with a head at both ends. But it's one of the least ridiculous double weapons I've seen. I'm ignoring the gyrations behind stabbing one person with both ends in the same iteration.

I'd be half tempted to not even bother with the TWF aspect, and use the two ends to carry different enchantments (and wands)

Alefiend
2014-01-17, 11:49 AM
If you want a little more stabby, there's the Dwarven Double Spear (Races of Stone). Damage isn't fantastic (1d8 medium), but you get two stabby spear heads, and it lets you do slashing as well, and has the set against charge. It still looks like two spears stuck together... or rather a spear with a head at both ends. But it's one of the least ridiculous double weapons I've seen. I'm ignoring the gyrations behind stabbing one person with both ends in the same iteration.

I'd be half tempted to not even bother with the TWF aspect, and use the two ends to carry different enchantments (and wands)

Dwarven double spear is no sillier than Chinese double spear (http://www.northernmas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Double-End-Spear.png). And this time, the link works.

Big Fau
2014-01-17, 12:00 PM
If you are dead-set on spending the feat, a Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow is quite good at what it does.

dysprosium
2014-01-17, 12:05 PM
My favorite exotic double weapon is the gyrspike: longsword on one end, flail on the other.

I know it is in the Arms and Equipment guide but I also think it got reprinted in Complete Warrior.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-17, 12:06 PM

it is made even less ridiculous by the fact it is a real weapon, it is the origin of many "double ended sword" stories.

Also, it isn't nearly as hard as some seem to think to stab someone with both ends over the course of 6 seconds. This is especially true when you use it for both offense and defense (stab, remove, step back, sweep incoming blade, stab at opening)

Rubik
2014-01-17, 04:51 PM
Also, it isn't nearly as hard as some seem to think to stab someone with both ends over the course of 6 seconds. This is especially true when you use it for both offense and defense (stab, remove, step back, sweep incoming blade, stab at opening)Also, swing it around like they do with quarterstaves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVswW2NEWHc). Flashy and dangerous (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRAsptkRfc).

Snowbluff
2014-01-17, 05:36 PM
I was hoping for something more knight-ly (read: pointy and stabby) than a quarterstaff, but that does seem to be the most mechanically sound option.

Also, thanks for all of the wand chamber ideas. That could be fun. I seem to recall that there is also a buckler that lets you scribe scrolls onto it, I could add a wand chamber to that as well.

Hey guys, can I have your opinion on something. Would a person with the spinning halberd (a very knightly weapon, similiar to the poleaxe) feat be allowed to put a wand chamber in the club end of his halberd? Or was is another feat that let someone club with a polearm?

Darrin
2014-01-17, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, can I have your opinion on something. Would a person with the spinning halberd (a very knightly weapon, similiar to the poleaxe) feat be allowed to put a wand chamber in the club end of his halberd? Or was is another feat that let someone club with a polearm?

Spinning Halberd (Complete Warrior) and Haft Strike (Dragon Compendium) both let you smack someone with the "haft" end of a halberd, but they do so without actually treating it as a double weapon. So for the purposes of a wand chamber, it still counts as a single weapon.