PDA

View Full Version : Overchannel, Chaotic Surge, Confused

Qc Storm
2014-01-16, 08:20 PM
Can Overchannel be used, without actually capping out the manifester level?

For example, a level 5 psion casting Energy Missile. Could he overchannel the spell, while still keeping the spell at manifester level 3?

I'm asking because Anarchic Initiate allows for a Chaotic Surge when Overchanneling (or Wild Surging). If it's only available during a full-blast, its a bit expensive to use. And if you have Talented, overchanneling all the time isn't so bad.

Vaz
2014-01-16, 09:09 PM
You can choose to use a lower Manifester level than your maximum, provided it's high enough to manifest the power still.

I.e trying to 'fest a 2nd level power (3pp required) with a ML of 2 will not work.

You cannot Wild Surge without actually manifesting the spell. Wild Surge simply adds to it, allowing you to further augment it for free.

Crake
2014-01-16, 09:30 PM
I'm a little confused as to why you would overchannel but not take the increased manifester level though? If you want to save power points, you don't necessarily need to augment the power to the fullest, but taking the full manifester level gives you other benefits over maximum PP allowed to be spent, including things like overcoming PR (or SR if you're playing magic/psionic transparency) harder to dispel your powers, easier to dispel enemy powers, longer range, longer duration and so on.

Qc Storm
2014-01-16, 09:47 PM
I'm a little confused as to why you would overchannel but not take the increased manifester level though? If you want to save power points, you don't necessarily need to augment the power to the fullest, but taking the full manifester level gives you other benefits over maximum PP allowed to be spent, including things like overcoming PR (or SR if you're playing magic/psionic transparency) harder to dispel your powers, easier to dispel enemy powers, longer range, longer duration and so on.

The anarchic initiate ability, Chaotic Surge, can only be used when Overchanneling. It allows you to randomly empower, maximize, or halve the damage of your spell. With the talented feat, there is little reason to not use it as often as possible. However, actively using the resulting enhanced manifester level would drain your PP very fast.

That is why I am asking.

EDIT ::

I think I understand better now. As I forgot about the "augment" term. And having a higher manifester level has benefits, even if you do not augment.