PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Caster Fight

theharangue
2014-01-16, 08:28 PM
So my Wild Mystic took on a mage and we ran into nothing but problems.

I opened up with Rain of Frogs on the wizard and he 5 foot stepped out and attempted to cast, however we were unsure how the distraction rule would apply.

Q1) How does the swarm distraction rule on causing concentration checks apply?

We ruled, I think in error, that he needed to make the concentration check as he had taken damage from the swarm that turn.

The mage tries to escape by casting gaseous form, however the druid, in air elemental form, uses the whirlwind special attack and moves into the same square as the gaseous wizard.

At this point we went to the books and never came up with a satisfactory solution. We said he could not escape the whirlwind, and the fighty types beat him to death. That being said this seemed arbitrary and we couldn't just pin down the relevant rules.

Q2) How would a whirlwind special attack effect a target in gaseous form?

Thanks so much!

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-16, 08:38 PM
You did rule in error on the first point, unless paizo changed the rules. You only have to make a concentration check for being distracted if you're still in the swarm when you try to cast. Simply having taken damage isn't enough unless the damage is ongoing.

There doesn't seem to be any specific interaction between gaseous form and strong winds so the whirlwind attack should have its normal effect, less any damage dealing that the whirlwind would do.