PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer+Rogue

EugeneVoid
2014-01-16, 10:01 PM
Can we fit the entire chasis of the sorcerer onto the rogue with as little cheese as possible?

Rogue 3/Sorcerer 7/Arcane Trickster 10 is the gold standard Extremely simple, but misses 9th level spells, though 7d6 sneak attack dice.

So here comes the list of importance:
Sneak Attack as high as possible (or Hunter's eye or something) hopefully up to 10d6 or similar effects like Death Attack

9th level spells (very important)

Trapfinding + Evasion (Not that important, but flavorful)

I mean we could always Phaerimm 18, but that's pretty op, so not that kind of stuff. I'm mostly looking at early entry cheese.

Props if the build can fit fire evocation specialization as in Metamagic and searing spell. (this is not a power build, just one for fun. I know that orbs of force or whatever are better)

Also extra points if we can keep this as SAD as possible.

Edit: Try to avoid wizard

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-16, 10:12 PM
factotum 1/ sorcerer 4/ unseen seer 5/ arcane trickster 10.

Pick up assassin's stance to meet the sneak attack requirement.

You can get into AT a little sooner with some other early entry tricks but the opportunity cost is kinda high.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-16, 11:03 PM
Spellthief 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Mindbender 1/ Unseen Seer 4/ Arcane Trickster 10, with a Ring of Evasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#evasion). That gets Sorcerer 19 spellcasting and 8d6 sneak attack, or 10d6 with Martial Stance and Martial Study for Assassin's Stance.

All your feats are open, and remember that per Rules Compendium, multi-shot spells that take a full round action to cast (such as spontaneous spells with metamagic) get to add precision damage to every shot. You can cast a Split Ray Scorching Ray and fire four shots, each of which will deal sneak attack damage.

Rebel7284
2014-01-16, 11:13 PM
You can cast a Split Ray Scorching Ray and fire four shots, each of which will deal sneak attack damage.

That's not how Split Ray works. :) it only adds one ray. Twin Spell, however, would do it. :)

Edit: Overall, the simplest way to do this is indeed some combination of Unseen Seer and Arcane Trickster, although, while I like spellthief, Rogue gives more of the needed skills in-class. I assume mindbender helps with that too, didn't check. :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-17, 12:13 AM
That's not how Split Ray works. :) it only adds one ray. Twin Spell, however, would do it. :)

Scorching Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scorchingRay.htm) fires three rays at level 11, Split Ray adds one ray, so it would be four rays.

Firebug
2014-01-17, 01:17 AM
Better yet, Acid Orb (or Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic) from Tome and Blood. Since it doesn't have errata for the change to 3.5 it stays as written. (Orb of Acid/Fire/etc exist, but differently named and different mechanics) Twinned, so 30 d6 ranged touch attacks each which can nauseate / blind / entangle / daze / deafen on a failed save.

+ 8d6 ish sneak attack (or did you persist hunter's eye as well for another 6d6? and PoO into a Kelvezu demon* as well for another 8d6, right?) to each of the 30 attacks.

Oh wait, you didn't want cheese...

*arguably the Kelvezu demon's sneak attack only applies to melee attacks

If I was going Sorcerer instead of Wizard for this, I'd look at something like Spellthief 1 / Battle Sorcerer 4 / Unseen Seer 3 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Unseen Seer 4-8 / Eldritch Knight 2. Not completely optimal, but you get 16 BA, 18th level caster, and 4d6 + 6d6 (hunter's eye, at least without Master Spellthief) SA. Not as many skill points as the Wizard base, but pretty much the only way to get multiple SA on the same spell. If you are using Fractional BA drop Battle Sorcerer for regular Sorcerer, its just there for the 1 extra BA to bump you up to the full 16.