PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Build Races

kirerellim
2014-01-16, 11:09 PM
Are the only races with this special feature Half Giant and Goliath? I've looked for a while now, but I cant find any more. If that's all of them, can anyone advise me any large races at are at most +2 LA? Thanks in advance!

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 11:43 PM
I believe there is another half-giant-esque race that is not psionic, I can't remember the name right now, though.

Instant homebrew race:
Giantborn (i.e. my grandpa was a (hill) giant!)
+2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Low-light vision
+2 Climb and Jump
Powerful Build
+1 Natural Armor
(I'd say +4 Str and +2 or +3 Natural Armor, but that might be pushing LA 0)

CyberThread
2014-01-16, 11:44 PM
The Eneka also have it, it sort of like a half giant

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 11:45 PM
It's Eneko; that's the race I couldn't name.

I believe they are from Secrets of Sarlona.

Naanomi
2014-01-16, 11:57 PM
For most purposes; a Human with the Jotunbrund feat

kirerellim
2014-01-17, 12:16 AM
Hmm so not very common at all.... what about large +1 or +2 races? Any good ones come to mind? I've been glancing around and all of them have a ton of LA or racial levels

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-01-17, 12:22 AM
Any race that qualifiers for Stoneblessed and takes three levels in it can obtain Powerful Build by virtue of associating with Goliaths. It gets amusing when done as a kobold, netting in both Powerful and Slight Build.

kirerellim
2014-01-17, 12:29 AM
Oh that would be amazing... I might actually go with that one

avr
2014-01-17, 01:42 AM
Duergar are LA +1 and can be intermittently Large.

Mithril Leaf
2014-01-17, 02:15 AM
I'm a big fan of Anthropomorphic Baleen Whales from Savage Species for large race needs.

Hurnn
2014-01-17, 02:31 AM
half ogre +1 la + 6 st + 2 con - 2 dex int cha 30' mv +4 natural armor dark vision 60' large, not the strongest +1la but not bad should have had 40' mv base but whatever.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-17, 03:05 AM
Any race that qualifiers for Stoneblessed and takes three levels in it can obtain Powerful Build by virtue of associating with Goliaths. It gets amusing when done as a kobold, netting in both Powerful and Slight Build.

This is inaccurate.

Stoneblessed (goliath) level 3 makes you count as a member of that race and that allows you to take the goliath barbarian mountain rage ACF, which actually makes you large when you rage. You do -not- get powerful build at all.

CyberThread
2014-01-17, 03:12 AM
Duergar are LA +1 and can be intermittently Large.

Duergar, get Expansion as a PLA, you can actually be Huge, once you hit level 6, as PLA's go up in ability, as per level you gain.

TuggyNE
2014-01-17, 03:32 AM
Duergar, get Expansion as a PLA, you can actually be Huge, once you hit level 6, as PLA's go up in ability, as per level you gain.

Wouldn't that be at 4th level, since ML is double HD?

Rizban
2014-01-17, 03:51 AM
half ogre +1 la + 6 st + 2 con - 2 dex int cha 30' mv +4 natural armor dark vision 60' large, not the strongest +1la but not bad should have had 40' mv base but whatever.

Those are the old stats from Savage Species. They were updated in Races of Destiny and now have +2 LA.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 04:27 AM
Wouldn't that be at 4th level, since ML is double HD?Afraid not.

According to the SRD:

Psi-Like Abilities
1/day—expansion, invisibility. These abilities are as the power (or spell) manifested by a psion (or sorcerer) of the duergar’s Hit Dice (minimum 3rd level) and affect only the duergar and whatever he carries.

TuggyNE
2014-01-17, 04:32 AM
Afraid not.

According to the SRD:

Psi-Like Abilities
1/day—expansion, invisibility. These abilities are as the power (or spell) manifested by a psion (or sorcerer) of the duergar’s Hit Dice (minimum 3rd level) and affect only the duergar and whatever he carries.

I literally just looked that up before posting to be sure I was right. Somehow, it slipped past all the same. :smallsigh:

Anyway, ML 7 is when expansion cranks up to Huge.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 04:52 AM
I literally just looked that up before posting to be sure I was right. Somehow, it slipped past all the same. :smallsigh:

Anyway, ML 7 is when expansion cranks up to Huge.Which means level 8, without LA buyoff.

Thurbane
2014-01-17, 05:00 AM
Redcap (MM3) also get Powerful Build. But as a +4 LA, 4 RHD small fey, probably not that appealing as a PC race.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-01-17, 10:33 AM
This is inaccurate.

Stoneblessed (goliath) level 3 makes you count as a member of that race and that allows you to take the goliath barbarian mountain rage ACF, which actually makes you large when you rage. You do -not- get powerful build at all.

This is what I get for not double checking the source. Carry on.

kirerellim
2014-01-17, 02:15 PM
Hmmm looks like I'm going with Half-Ogre then! Thanks for all of the assistance! I would go with the whale... but I just cant do it >< The mental imagery there breaks my brain.

On a side note, I've never noticed that about expansion before! Is there any way of getting a level 7 manifester ability without.. you know, being a level 7 manifester?

Hurnn
2014-01-17, 02:16 PM
Those are the old stats from Savage Species. They were updated in Races of Destiny and now have +2 LA.

which is totally unjustified with out a serious boost somewhere.....

Rebel7284
2014-01-17, 02:23 PM
Titans also get powerful build, but only for the purposes of using an oversized hammer.

Also, there are gauntlets in MIC that allow you to use weapons of one size larger as well.

ShurikVch
2014-01-17, 04:23 PM
Half-Minotaur may be better than half-ogre

RustyArmor
2014-01-17, 04:38 PM
Could of sworn Mul (sp?) from darksun setting also had powerful built. But can be wrong.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 04:55 PM
Half-Minotaur may be better than half-ogreI do believe you can use both for no additional Level Adjustment.

Ezekiul
2014-01-17, 06:46 PM
Half Minotaur gives a size increase for +1.

Alternatively you can be human and take the Jotunbrud to get a powerful build.

CIDE
2014-01-17, 06:57 PM
Titans also get powerful build, but only for the purposes of using an oversized hammer.

Also, there are gauntlets in MIC that allow you to use weapons of one size larger as well.

Technically it's not really powerful build. And there's really no reason that the Titan racial feature wouldn't also stack with powerful build if Titan bloodlines were taken.

Could of sworn Mul (sp?) from darksun setting also had powerful built. But can be wrong.

They don't in the Dragon Magazine version. Which is retarded. They should have it.

Half Minotaur gives a size increase for +1.

Alternatively you can be human and take the Jotunbrud to get a powerful build.

Technically, can't you have both? Also, I thought Jotunbrud was only partial powerful build?

Jeff the Green
2014-01-17, 07:46 PM
This is inaccurate.

It's arguably cooler, though. I don't usually play beat sticks, but I've been wanting to play a halfling stoneblessed/barbarian who suddenly grows to four times his height when he gets angry. Tibbit would be even cooler if it'd remove the -6 to Strength you get when you're a cat: 9-foot tall kitty ho!

Thurbane
2014-01-17, 08:15 PM
I believe 1/2 Ogres (as in the race, not the cheesy Dragon template) are +2 because (AFAIK) all playable, large creatures in 3.5 are at least +2.

Does anyone know of any official 3.5 races that are large and only LA+1 (with or without RHD)?

Rizban
2014-01-17, 08:30 PM
I believe 1/2 Ogres (as in the race, not the cheesy Dragon template) are +2 because (AFAIK) all playable, large creatures in 3.5 are at least +2.

Does anyone know of any official 3.5 races that are large and only LA+1 (with or without RHD)?

Only ones I know involve template shenanigans.