PDA

View Full Version : Pit Fighter (PEACH)

KiltieMacPipes
2014-01-17, 12:16 AM
I know there a million and six monk/fighter unarmed hybrids, but none of the ones I've seen had quite the right flavor for me, so I wrote one. Please let me know what you think. I'm really only worried about how balanced it is compared to a regular fighter or monk but I welcome all feedback. Thanks.

Pit Fighter

Hit Die: d10

The Pit Fighter's skills (and the key ability for each skill are): Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex),
Intimidate (Str), Perform (Cha), and Sense Motive (Wis)

Skill points: (4+Int Modifier)x4 at first level and 4+Int Modifier per additional level.

{table=head]Level|Base|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Unarmed|AC
|Attack Bonus|Save|Save|Save| | Damage|Bonus
1st| 1| 2| 0| 0| Tough as Nails, Unarmed Strike| 1d6| 0|
2nd| 2| 3| 0| 0|Single Minded | 1d6| 0|
3rd| 3| 3| 1| 1|Fight Through the Pain | 1d6| 0|
4th| 4| 4| 1| 1|Light Armor Proficiency| 1d8| 0|
5th| 5| 4| 1| 1|Seen It All | 1d8 |1
6th| 6+1| 5| 2| 2|Single Minded II |1d8| 1
7th| 7+2| 5| 2| 2|DR 1/- | 1d8| 1
8th| 8+3| 6| 2| 2| |1d10| 1
9th| 9+4| 6| 3| 3|Or Die Trying | 1d10 |1
10th| 10+5| 7| 3| 3|DR 2/- | 1d10| 2
11th| 11+6+1| 7| 3| 3|Single Minded III | 1d10 |2
12th| 12+7+2| 8| 4| 4|Medium Armor Proficiency| 2d6| 2
13th| 13+8+3| 8| 4| 4|DR 3/- | 2d6 |2
14th| 14+9+4| 9| 4| 4|Single Minded IV | 2d6| 2
15th| 15+10+5| 9| 5| 5|Taking You With Me| 2d6| 3
16th| 16+11+6+1| 10| 5| 5|DR 4/-| 2d8| 3
17th| 17+12+7+2| 10| 5| 5|| 2d8 |3
18th| 18+13+8+3| 11| 6| 6|Single Minded V | 2d8| 3
19th| 19+14+9+4| 11| 6| 6|DR 5/-| 2d8 |3
20th| 20+15+10+5| 12| 6| 6|From the Jaws of Defeat, Heavy Armor Proficiency | 2d10 |4
[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Pit Fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Pit Fighters are proficient with no weapons. They can use gauntlets, spiked gauntlets, and
other such fist weapons, but are considered unarmed and use their unarmed damage.
Pit Fighters are not proficient with any armor or shields
When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a Pit Fighter loses his
AC bonus. At 4th level he can use light armor without losing the bonus, medium armor at 12th level, and heavy armor at 20th level.

AC Bonus (Ex)
A Pit Fighter gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for
every five Pit Fighter levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level). These
bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Pit Fighter is flat-footed.
He loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load. This bonus stacks with AC gained from armor or Bracers of Armor.

Tough as Nails(Ex)
A Pit Fighter adds his Constitution bonus (if any) to his AC.

Unarmed Strike
At 1st level, a Pit Fighter gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Pit Fighter’s
attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This
means that a Pit Fighter may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such
thing as an off-hand attack for a Pit Fighter striking unarmed. A Pit Fighter may thus apply her
full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a Pit Fighter’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal
nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal
lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling. A Pit Fighter’s unarmed strike is treated both as a
manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance
or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A Pit Fighter also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as
shown on Table: The Pit Fighter. The unarmed damage on Table: The Pit Fighter is for Medium
Pit Fighters. A Small Pit Fighter deals less damage than the amount given there with her
unarmed attacks, while a Large Pit Fighter deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Pit
Fighter Unarmed Damage.

Level | Damage | Damage
| (Small Pit Fighter) | (Large Pit Fighter)
1st-3rd | 1d4 | 1d8
4th-7th | 1d6 | 2d6
8th-11th | 1d8 | 2d8
12th-15th | 1d10 | 3d6
16th-19th | 2d6 | 3d8
20th |2d8 | 4d8

Single Minded (Ex)
At second level a Pit Fighter receives a +1 bonus to Will saves to resist mind-affecting spells or effects. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses, and increases to +2 at level 6, +3 at level 11, +4 at level 14, and +5 at level 18.

Fight Through the Pain (Ex)
At third level, a Pit Fighter does not fall unconscious when his hit points go below zero. He maintains complete functionality until he hits -10 hit points and falls dead or combat ends and he falls unconscious. He still loses a hit point every round as normal unless stabilized.

Seen It All (Ex)
At 5th level a Pit Fighter has become desensitized to danger to the point that he is immune to being shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Or Die Trying (Ex)
At 9th level a Pit Fighter resolve to win is so great that when he falls below 0 hit points he receives a +4 bonus to his Strength score until such a time as combat ends, he dies, or his hit point total is raised above 0.

Taking You With Me (Ex)
At 15th level the bonus granted by the Or Die Trying ability is increased to +6.

From the Jaws of Defeat (Ex)
At 20th level the bonus granted by the Or Die Trying ability is increased to +8. Furthermore, the Pit Fighter can now function to -15 hit points.

Quiddle
2014-01-17, 01:30 AM
This feels like you took out most of the monk's features and replaced them with full bab and some feasts. This causes your class to still be similar(if not worse) than the standerd monk at unarmed combat. I suggest you add in some new class abilities that are in line with what you think the class should do. For an example if you wanted the pit fighter to be a tuff tanky class you could give it some scaling DR. Also could you discribe what your goal for the class to do is?

anacalgion
2014-01-17, 01:47 AM
It's arguably weaker than the monk, almost to the point of being unplayable. No offense but the class just can't do much. Also, 3+ int skill points is strange and out of place. I get that you averaged the fighter and the monk but honestly just give it 4+ int. Anything less is cruel.

Newwby
2014-01-17, 07:09 AM
As said above, it does seem like a Fighter/Monk variant missing most of the (not even too) useful Monk abilities. As a start, how about granting it Light/Medium armour and shield proficiency then adding a class feature that allows you to apply the AC bonus whilst in Light armour and/or wearing a shield, then later whilst in Medium armour - as well as granting a reduction in armour check penalty equivalent to the AC bonus?

Other potential (and relatively mundane) class features off the top of my head;

Bonuses to unarmed attacks made (kicks etc) whilst fighting with a trident/net
Quickdraw net/trident
Barbarian DR
Uncanny Dodge & Improved Uncanny Dodge
Bonuses to improvised weapon use (applying unarmed damage?)
Change AC bonus to be CON-derived rather than WIS-derived?
Add Reflex as a favoured saving throw?

I could be envisioning something different to your idea however, since what I've mentioned so far is distinctly gladiator themed.

*Edit* Your BAB column is progressing incorrectly for full BAB progression

KiltieMacPipes
2014-01-17, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've done a major revision hoping to make it less vague and a bit more competitive. Let me know what you think.