PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] What race for this concept?

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-17, 05:20 AM
So, I have an interesting idea for a character for an aquatic campaign - something I've been on the look out for of late.

What I'm thinking is (if the DM will allow it), a Fighter with a spear and shield using Wild Cohort and Natural Bond to have an Orca animal companion.* I like this idea a great deal, and it should actually be quite viable since Tier 1 and 2 classes are banned outright from this game.

The one... iffy part... is race choice. Initially I was thinking "Merfolk, of course, maybe with an aquatic-mammalian lower body rather than a fish lower body..." but, alas, we understandably are required to be able to operate on dry land from time to time.

Now, it's been a long time since I played regular 3.5e (or used anything from it other than ToB), and I never really had cause to look at aquatic races in particular before. So I admit, I'm quite in the dark here.

Anyone have any recommendations of aquatic races that can operate on land that wouldn't be terrible for a fighter? The stats don't have to be perfect, and a simple template of some kind might even be OK. The obvious contender at the moment being an Amphibious Human of some kind; but that's... kinda boring frankly.

I think my best preference would be something that's effectively a merfolk with the ability to shape-shift legs when necessary. But I don't know that anything like that actually exists, does it?

*I'm hoping I can use the Pathfinder version of the Fighter with the Phalanx Soldier archetype; but if not I can use regular Fighter with a shortspear. The Orca would start out as a Large 'Shark' effectively and grow into a true Orca at level (we'd be starting at level 6.)

TroubleBrewing
2014-01-17, 05:35 AM
Darfellan, from Stormwrack sounds appropriate. They aren't properly amphibious, but they can hold their breath for ages.

Failing that, Aventi are just aquatic humans.

juicycaboose
2014-01-17, 06:09 AM
Darfellan, from Stormwrack sounds appropriate. They aren't properly amphibious, but they can hold their breath for ages.

Seconding darfellan, i've always wanted to play one but have yet to play in an aquatic campaign or one where they'd be appropriate

Kaje
2014-01-17, 06:57 AM
Yes, Darfellan are orca-people, so basically perfect for you.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-17, 07:21 AM
Hrm... ya know, after looking them up I think I'd be sold on the Darfellan except one thing: I'm not especially enamored of how they look. I admit I was kinda hoping for mer-orcas rather than orca-patterned humans.

That's just me being picky though, they're definitely a very strong contender, and what I'll very likely go with; that said I'm open to alternate suggestions if someone's got one!

Grayson01
2014-01-17, 07:43 AM
River Spirit-Folk

Aquatic-Elf

or Enough levels in Dragon Shaman witha dragon that gives you Water Breathing

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-17, 09:00 AM
Human Giant Octopus-Taur

9 racial HD with +10 str, +5 dex and +3 con. 8 natural weapons!

zephyrkinetic
2014-01-17, 09:04 AM
You could be way on out there and go for a Cecaella.

It's a homebrew, but your DM would probably allow it. Seems pretty fair.
Found here: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Cecaella_(3.5e_Race)

Maginomicon
2014-01-17, 09:25 AM
I am NOT a freaky fish guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gnmh8oRlfE)

SouthpawSoldier
2014-01-17, 09:32 AM
Yet another bump for Darfellan.

A darfellan barb1/fight4, rocking a harpoon, was my first successful character. Rage would bump my STR, and then I'd make with the kabob action (literally; goblins and kobolds would be skewered, then I'd follow with some Raged chomping action; Improved Nat. Attack FTW). Hammer, pitons, and Use Rope to hold the target still, and follow with a few javelins if it was a big meanie. Sharkskin armor for "rough love" grapple and chew sessions (sharktooth spikes+bite).

Right now for S&G's I'm toying with a faux-Hawaiian darfellan build. Either domain druid or cleric of Pele. Instead of the orca pattern, a mottled brown skin tone; Pele homebrew is CN with Fire, Earth, and Chaos domains.

Big dumb melee may not rival Treantmonk's God wizard, but they can be fun for RP, and the darfellan's have some great flavor, if you avoid the cliche "tragic lone survivor/escaped slave" slant.

To quote Harry Dresden; " I want thews". Playing a smart character means thinking all the time. Sometimes it's more fun and relaxing just to chew some squishy speedbump's face.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-17, 10:29 AM
You can also apply the amphibious template to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid you like. It's in Stormwrack and it's basically "you get the aquatic subtype and swim speed for -2 Dex". It's LA +0.
Also, have a look at the waverider PrC in Savage Species.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-17, 07:35 PM
You could be way on out there and go for a Cecaella.

It's a homebrew, but your DM would probably allow it. Seems pretty fair.
Found here: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Cecaella_(3.5e_Race)

That's a really interesting race... I don't think it quite fits what I want to do; but it does give me an idea. Maybe I'll just see if I can homebrew my own. The DM said that homebrew is allowed on a case-by-case basis, so it may well be alright. I'll have to ask.