PDA

View Full Version : [3.P][Gestalt] Help with a proper build for a character

Perpetr8r
2014-01-17, 04:55 PM
Ok so for 5 levels this character will be a DMPC (We Round Robin DMing in this game)

Now to make a character that is good at buffing the party I was planning on one side of my gestalt to read as follows. Marshal 1/Bard 9/Dread Pirate 10. Now I think this makes a good pirate in the sense of buffying the party and so forth.

While I have only plans to do Gunslinger 5 (Pistolero/Mysterious Stranger) to add both Dex and Charisma to damage (Charisma for a Grit point each round)
This gives the build a Full BAB and all Good saves till level 5 and a d10 HD.

But what should I do after Gunslinger 5?

I took Gunslinger to fit with the flintlock pistols pirates had, it will likely be an initial volley tactic using a gun or two for ranged damage then close in and finish with his cutlass or whatever so a build that focuses on Melee damage is not out of the question but with the Marshal/Bard/Dread Pirate side I think that is kinda handled.

So maybe a magic caster? Something to help augment the build?
Maybe Duskblade with the Lost Tradition Feat to make its key ability score Charisma instead?

avr
2014-01-17, 05:36 PM
Doing melee and ranged and bardic music you're going to be so feat-starved it isn't funny. If you go duskblade you might just take a 12 intelligence and call it a day; duskblades don't use many spells with saves.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-17, 06:02 PM
Yeah I know I am gonna be feat starved thankfully we are using PF feat progression so it helps a little.
As for Duskblade that might be true but I am curious if would be good for the build?

Or should I go Magus with Broad Study and use the Bard spells through my Cutlass?

avr
2014-01-17, 09:34 PM
You wouldn't get Broad Study until Magus 6 (Character level 11); IMO a spell storing weapon or two would be faster and easier. Bard spells aren't amazing for this purpose anyway as far as I can remember.

Duskblade is still useful even if delayed this way, yes. You could go for an initiator class from ToB instead if that's available in this campaign, they multiclass pretty well.

Looking at feats - with the way you're switching weapons you want Quick Draw. Dervish Dance lets you avoid focusing too much on strength and requires Weapon Finesse. Your cutlass will be a scimitar BTW. You still probably want Power Attack too.

If you go with swordsage instead of duskblade you might want Weapon Finesse/Shadow Blade/TWF or Piranha Strike with a shortsword or two instead. The number of feats is similar.

As a melee bard with access to 3.5 feats you want to spend one on either Song of the Heart or Snowflake Wardance. Lingering Music saves a lot of hassles.

That takes care of your human bonus (I'm assuming) and level 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 feats. If you want ranged feats too you'll need to sacrifice some of the above or at least delay them further. Sending a feat on Lost Tradition just pushes it out further.

Perhaps something like Gunslinger 5/Fighter 1 (for an extra feat)/Warblade 14?