PDA

View Full Version : Wizard build idea [3.P]

TabletopGamer
2014-01-17, 07:01 PM
Is there a way to run a gestalt character who is a Easy Bake Wizard but also one who specializes in spontanous casting?

Say I roll up a Wizard//Fighter (For the bonus feats) and using the PF feat progression, (So 20 feats total by level 20)
Maybe 22 if adding two flaws.

Is it possible to do this?

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-17, 07:08 PM
...if you're doing gestalt then just make your other half a spontaneous caster...

Like Wizard//beguiler...

EDIT: I do not advize Gestalting Wizard/Beguiler

TabletopGamer
2014-01-17, 07:14 PM
I get that, but I am not looking for that I am looking to make a Wizard partially spontaneous as well as knowing tons of spells without the spellbook weakpoint.

Adding a class that casts spontaneously means I have to focus and keep track of 2 separate spell lists and magical classes.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-17, 07:48 PM
Pick up the uncanny forethought feat from exemplars of evil. You can cast any spell in your spellbook, at cl -2, by spending a full round action and burning an appropriate level spell slot.

FMArthur
2014-01-17, 07:51 PM
You'll probably just want to take Uncanny Forethought and be a generalist. Alacritous Cogitation, Spontaneous Divination and illumian race can add more spontaneity, but the illumian thing doesn't really work out that well because it only casts spontaneously from other spells you've prepared, and that clashes a bit with leaving slots open for UF and AC. Instead I think it's better to just go Elf Wizard substitution for a generalist. Also, Domain Wizard is totally free for generalists but kind of unnecessary as far as power-grabs-that-get-you-frowned-at go.

When I feel like making a Wizard I really don't have to worry about, I'm fond of going Elven Generalist (grey elf, fire elf or sun elf), taking the Eidetic Spellcaster variant and picking up both Collegiate Wizard and Uncanny Forethought.

No need for downtime, spell-searching, book protection, careful planning, anything. It's a very mindless kind of wizard. :smallwink:

EDIT: Well damn, I missed the Easy Bake Wizard thread. Yeah, that's pretty much it isn't it?

EDIT2: Wait nevermind Eidetic Spellcaster, it's PF so you'll have an Arcane Bond object already! D'oh!

Kraken
2014-01-17, 08:00 PM
Depending on how much of Pathfinder is working its way in, the arcane crafter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/universalist/arcanamirium-crafter-absalom) version of the universalist.

Ramza00
2014-01-17, 08:18 PM
I prefer the uncanny forethought+spontaneous divination listed above, but for the sake of being completionist look into this options. That said Uncanny forethought just does it so much better.

The Magelord.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=2

Dweomerkeeper makes some of your spells spontaneous
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a

Signature Spell (feat, PGTF) makes one of your spells spontaneous.

Halruaan Elder (prestige class from shining south) makes some of your spells spontaneous.

Hathran (prestige class, PGTF) makes your spells spontaneous if your are in your native homeland, there are tricks (google acorn of far travel) to treat yourself for the purpose of spells as being in your native homeland even if you are not.

Zanos
2014-01-17, 08:21 PM
Spontaneous Divination + Versatile Spellcaster.

Congratulations, you are now a spontaneous Wizard.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-17, 08:27 PM
I've already made this build some time ago. It's for 3.5, so it uses the 3.5 feat progression rather than the PF one. I trust you can convert it to the PF feat system. Also, it's a normal build, not a gestalt.
---
THE SPONTANEOUS WIZARD (“Schrodinger's Wizard”)

Race: Any Elf (can be any other race, but those don't get the Elven Generalist substitution level)

Class: Wizard (Elven Generalist, Domain Wizard, Spontaneous Divination, Eidetic Spellcaster) 7/Arcane Devotee 1 or 2/ Wizard +X

{table="head"]LEVEL |CLASS| FEATS | OTHER
1 | Wiz |Spell Mastery |No spellbook lol. No familiar or Scribe Scroll either.
2| Wiz ||
3 |Wiz| Uncanny Forethought (reserve Int mod of spells/day, cast as Full-Round action at -2 CL)|
4 |Wiz|
5 |Wiz| [Bonus feat is traded out for Spontaneous Divination]|Spontaneous Divination
6 |Wiz| Enlarge Spell|
7 |Wiz | |
8 |ArcDev| |[PrC into Arcane Devotee. Remember the skill ranks requirement]
9 |ArcDev| Nexus Method (convert any spell into a SM of that level) |
10 |Wiz ||
11 |Wiz ||
12 |Wiz |Alacritous Cogitation (optional), [Wizard Bonus Feat] |
13 |Wiz |
14 |Wiz||
15 |Wiz| [feat] |
16 |Wiz | |
17 |Wiz ||
18 |Wiz| [feat], [Wizard Bonus Feat] |
19 |Wiz ||
20 |Wiz ||
21 |Wiz| Epic Spellcasting (Duh)|
[/table]

Total spontaneous Castings per day:

Convert [Cha mod] + 1 prepared spells into any spell of your choosing (These are enlarged for free)
Convert any prepared spell into a Divination spell of that level or lower
Convert any prepared spell into a Summon Monster of that level or lower
Leave [Int mod] +1 spell slots open, spontaneously cast any known spell out of them

NOTES:
Potential Modifications:

You can take these feats in basically any order you want, just remember that Spell Mastery is a prereq for Uncanny Forethought
And Enlarge Spell is a prereq for Arcane Devotee
If you want spontaneity at 1st level, you can be a bonus feat race (and take Spell Mastery + UF at 1st level), but you lose out on Elven Generalist. It's a decent tradeoff.
This build can be any race, just take out Elven Generalist if you're not playing as an Elf.
Alacritous Cogitation kind of sucks. Replace it if you want a different feat.
Feel free to drop the second level of Arcane Devotee. I only took it to make up for the lost point of BAB, so if you have something useful to do with that level, go for it.
The build leaves you like 4 free feats, most of the levels after 5 can be replaced with PrCs, and the trick is complete by roughly level 9. Feel free to add dips, PrCs, and feats to taste.

EDIT: Well damn, I missed the Easy Bake Wizard thread. Yeah, that's pretty much it isn't it?

Yeah, basically. I should post my build there...

TabletopGamer
2014-01-17, 10:58 PM
Why would I not trade the Arcane bond for the ability to go without a spellbook? The arcane Bond for the Familiar can be replicated with Obtain Familiar feat. The item half just allows 1 spell per day to be cast spontaneously almost like a charge from an item.

Now yeah if the DM never touches the spellbook then yes those are better but how often do you not end up stolen from, in danger of the book burning, etc.

I was thinking of a new desig. No Gestalt but still using 3.5 and Pathfinder.
Using the Elf ACF for level 1, Domain Wizard, Eidetic Spellcaster, and Spontaneous Divination.
Collegiate Wizard as my first of two flaw feats.
Then I have a level 1 feat. At level 3 I get one, at 5 I get one and the bonus goes to the Spontaneous Divination ACF.

So what should my Feats be? I want to use the Greyhawk Method as well if I PRC but I dont see any good PRCs that would keep me on this path of lots of spells known. And I want some spontaneous spellcasting.

I have a 20 as an INT score at level 1 (Gray Elfs +2 on top of an 18)

Slipperychicken
2014-01-17, 11:21 PM
So what should my Feats be? I want to use the Greyhawk Method as well if I PRC but I dont see any good PRCs that would keep me on this path of lots of spells known. And I want some spontaneous spellcasting.

1. Use the feats I listed in my build.

Uncanny Forethought (and the prereq Spell Mastery)
Nexus Method
Maybe Alacritous Cogitation if you can't think of anything else
Enlarge Spell to qualify for Arcane Devotee

2. Eight spells known per wizard level (4 from Collegiate Wizard + 4 from Greyhawk Method, assuming they both are simply +4, rather than replacing the 2/level Wizards normally get) is already more than enough. You can simply spend treasure-monies to learn more spells via magic wizard-weed.

3. Mage of the Arcane Order's spellpool ability is kind of like spontaneous spellcasting, but entry to the PrC takes two feats. Also, the guild dues detract from the "easy bake" ideology.

TabletopGamer
2014-01-17, 11:34 PM
Actually according to Collegiate Wizard and Greyhawk Method they just simply add spells you know, they do not replace the 2 normally gained.

So it should be 2 (Normal progression)+(6+Int[5])[From Collegiate Wizard]+4[Greyhawk Method] = 17 1rst level spells at level 1
At level two it goes too 2+4+4=10 every level

Ramza00
2014-01-17, 11:41 PM
Actually according to Collegiate Wizard and Greyhawk Method they just simply add spells you know, they do not replace the 2 normally gained.

So it should be 2 (Normal progression)+(6+Int[5])[From Collegiate Wizard]+4[Greyhawk Method] = 17 1rst level spells at level 1
At level two it goes too 2+4+4=10 every level

Nope it is a replacement for they tell you how many spells you gain and at the very end they list a normal wizard only gets 2 spells per level.

Aerial arcanist an elf regional feat would get you additional spell per character level

TabletopGamer
2014-01-17, 11:49 PM
But nither state that they replace the original 2. If they do not say they replace it then they don't. Not saying they should not have one of them replace the 2/level thing but nither state they are replacements.

Yes the normal section simply means normally the Wizard only gets 2/level but with these he adds the 4 a level onto it.