PDA

View Full Version : Item Shopping

questionmark693
2014-01-17, 08:39 PM
I need help finding good items for a very high epic level character I'm creating. So any and all suggestions are good-it should be noted, I am a wizard that banned enchantment to go incantatrix, then took beguiler and UM to make up for the lack. Wealth is not an issue.

Rubik
2014-01-17, 08:58 PM
Stack a bunch of items together, as suggested in the MIC, for best effect. Make sure you focus on grabbing offensive-boosters and as many immunities as you can manage. Make sure you have constant full concealment, such as from Superior Invisibility and Permanencied Invisible Spell'd Solid Fog (combined with Freedom of Movement on your person, of course).

Take a gauntlet and add every metamagic rod to it a few times. Lesser Empower x3, Empower x3, Greater Empower x3, and so on.

Gnomish twistcloth with heavy fortification (DMG) and soulfire armor (BoED), along with adding the shirt of wraith stalking enhancement (MIC).

A necklace of adaptation is always good. Combine with chronocharms (MIC) as many times as you can stack them (each 1/day).

questionmark693
2014-01-17, 09:44 PM
Noted, thank you :smallsmile:

Rubik
2014-01-17, 10:02 PM
Noted, thank you :smallsmile:Oh, and avoid epic items at all costs. They're not worth the inflated price 999%* of the time. You're far better off stacking non-epic items for 50% markup, rather than paying 10x more for what amounts to a really shoddy effect. Even weapons aren't worth it, when grabbing +9 in enhancements and throw on Chained Greater Magic Weapon combined with Reserves of Strength can net you +X to your weapons, where X = epic enhancement bonuses.

*[sic]

questionmark693
2014-01-17, 10:13 PM
Also good to know. Are there any particular epic items that do happen to be worth it?

Rubik
2014-01-17, 10:37 PM
Also good to know. Are there any particular epic items that do happen to be worth it?With access to spells and a lot of optimization? Not much. Basically some rings of epic wizardry, if you want more spell slots. Maybe look at the rods, if you really want. That's about it.

Epic items are really disappointing, considering how expensive they are.

Overall, I'd use item creation cost reducers to nab the best non-epic items and cobble together some really powerful items from them.

tyckspoon
2014-01-18, 01:17 AM
Also good to know. Are there any particular epic items that do happen to be worth it?

Rod of Excellent Magic is a good investment if you're using Epic Spells (and your DM has ruled out infinite mitigation shenanigans.) Rod of the Path does some nifty things and isn't horribly expensive, but it's definitely a luxury item. Rings of epic wizardry are as useful as their non epic versions, but there's a lot of opportunity cost.

Anything else you might want from an epic item, you can probably do better with spells and pure epic gear.

Rubik
2014-01-18, 01:25 AM
Rod of Excellent Magic is a good investment if you're using Epic Spells (and your DM has ruled out infinite mitigation shenanigans.)A thought bottle is ridiculously cheaper and considerably more powerful and useful.