PDA

View Full Version : Food Pork tenderloin crock-pot recipes for someone who doesn't like pork?

Talanic
2014-01-17, 09:15 PM
The title says most of it. My wife has a habitual aversion to pork, but tenderloins were on sale. She's willing to try a few recipes and see if we can come up with something that she'll enjoy. The plan is to put the tenderloin (or, more likely, part of it - I'm thinking about three pounds of meat) into the crock-pot before work and come back to see what I've wrought.

There's two catches. The first is that pulled pork is out - at least any form of barbecue. She has bad memories associated with the smell of barbecue sauce (nothing traumatic, but definitely unappetizing). The second is that her diet requires that she avoid salt as much as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Taet
2014-01-17, 09:31 PM
Why are you putting a tenderloin in a crock pot? Crock pot is for regular pork loin. Tenderloin is in the oven for half a hour. High temperature. Served pink.

Tebryn
2014-01-18, 02:15 AM
And why are you trying to make someone who doesn't like pork to like pork? And, as above, why are you going to crock a tenderloin? Wrap it in bacon to keep the moisture in and bake it.

teacupprincess9
2014-01-18, 12:35 PM
This http://rachelschultz.com/2012/09/22/apple-cinnamon-slow-cooker-porkloin/ is one of my all-time favorite recipes for pork. I can't guarantee that your wife will love it, but it fits the bill and is very easy.

paddyfool
2014-01-19, 05:00 PM
Working on the assumption that this habitual aversion is something she's trying to overcome:

- Get her involved with the cooking / planning if she's likely to be up for it. Ownership of the whole process will probably help her confidence when it comes to tucking in.

- Make sure the accompanying things are stuff she likes, to limit the overall obstacles associated with the meal. Stuff that goes particularly well with pork imho: potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, parsnips, carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, apples. One thing I like to do is make a mixed oven tray using some of the veg on this list and roast it (you have to parboil the potatoes a bit first to make sure they roast at the same speed as the rest, however). Adding a splash of vinegar is a good idea if you like it tangy and aren't sure about roasting apples (even cooking apples go to mush, but the flavour really works).

EDIT: Pretty much anything works, though. Boiled spinach with some crushed nuts and bits of ginger is another favourite accompaniment, and there's also something to be said for a prune and almond sauce.

- Avoiding salt is OK. You don't need to rub salt into tenderloin, like you would into the crackling of a leg joint, for instance, and pork has plenty of flavour of its own.

Hope that helps!

Bhu
2014-01-19, 06:14 PM
Does she like peppers?

EmeraldRose
2014-01-19, 06:36 PM
My favorite thing to do with a pork tenderloin is to slice it into inch think medallions, salt/pepper, and throw them on the grill (or skillet when there's snow and we don't go out on the deck.)

warty goblin
2014-01-19, 11:24 PM
I like to do pork tenderloin as follows:

1) Mix up some mustard (I like horseradish mustard for this) with chili powder, paprika, black pepper and other hot sorts of spices. Inhaling deeply over this bowl should bring tears to your eyes.

2) Slather this onto the tenderloin in a reasonably thick layer, maybe 1/8 inch thick.

3) Put the coated tenderloin on a bed of sauerkraut, then toss in a reasonably hot (say 400 Fahrenheit) oven until it's done. Unlike beef, pork doesn't loose much flavor going all the way to well done, so if your wife doesn't like the taste of pork I'd go to 160 or 170 internal.

4) Cut the tenderloin thin, layer in on fresh (or toasted) bread with the sauerkraut and some cheese as a sort of spicy Reuben.

5) Alternatively, put some potato medallions, carrots and a couple of dumplings in the baking dish beside the tenderloin, then cover and bake until done. If you do this right, the potatoes sort of caramelize into these delicious golden creamy wedges.