PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Strength for Tiny [3.5]

AugustNights
2014-01-17, 11:16 PM
I'm looking for advice, thoughts, or ideas for a concept I've been playing with. Specifically, a tiny sized character that appears roughly humanoid, and has an incredible strength score, and is/was a Strongperson Performer for a circus. Ideally I'd like the character to have wings, but it's still flexible in my mind. Mostly I just want an incredibly strong tiny guy with the classic silly mustache and stripped outfit that can function as a viable character in a mid to high op game.

Important Details
* Tiny sized or smaller in roughly humanoid appearance
* Incredible Strength Score

As far as races go I'm looking at Pixie (if the conceptual DM would allow it to be Tiny-Sized instead of Small), Petal, Beguiler (I have no idea what these look like), or a Half Giant that's been hit with Return to nature twice (possibly with the winged template).

I was thinking maybe a Psychic Warrior into Blackblood Cultist, to serve as a grappler with Clever Wrestling, in order to use feats of strength for combat.

Thoughts?

kardar233
2014-01-18, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately, the Clever Wrestling feat specifies Medium or Small, so your Tiny hero does not qualify. Furthermore, it doesn't really help with your primary problem with grappling, being that you're Tiny and thus take a -8 penalty to your grapple checks, on top of your lowered strength. Grapple doesn't really seem like a great idea, here.

Half-Giant with Return to Nature definitely sounds like the best bet for this build, as it has a Strength bonus rather than the Strength penalties of the other possibilities.

Particle_Man
2014-01-18, 02:57 AM
Is half-dragon on the table? That would be +8 str.

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-18, 03:31 AM
Beguiler (I have no idea what these look like),

Sort of like a possum. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ssouth_gallery/84366.jpg)

And what about an earth mephling half minotaur mineral warrior? I don't think they can all stack, but we might find a way.

Azoth
2014-01-18, 04:26 AM
Wild from Dragon 309 or 316 is +2str -2int for +0la
Feral has tons of goodies including +2 or +4 str for +1la

Could always go with Strength of my Enemy power to sap the enemy's str while boosting your own.

Persisted greater consumptive field is good.

Hard to think of ways to get good Str boosts while not increasing Str.

To get your grapple mod decent you could go Totemist and bind Garillion Arms and pump its essentia to the max.

AugustNights
2014-01-19, 02:45 AM
Huh, well thanks for the responses.

Quite unfortunate about Clever Wrestling, 1) only granting bonuses to escapes, and 2) only being available to Medium and Small characters.

Even Half-Giant Return to Nature'd twice winds up with a Strength Penalty if my math is accurate, but it's certainly the lowest at -2.

I'd prefer to avoid Half-Dragon, as that I'd really like to keep the aesthetic of the character vaguely human-like. I'm not certain if I want to stack more templates on this character, but any 1-2 LA templates with excellent strength boosts would be appreciated suggestions.

Thanks for the Beguiler picture! That's interesting, and I'll keep that thing in mind for later uses, but it's not at all for me.

Is an Earth Mephling different from an Earth Mephit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#earthMephit)? If not, is there a way to make them Tiny rather than Small? Might be able to ply my DM for that though. It's a good suggestion.

Feral and Wild will be kept in mind, thank you for the suggestions! Also thanks for the power suggestions. I'll look into Totemist, thanks.

Darrin
2014-01-19, 10:16 AM
Quite unfortunate about Clever Wrestling, 1) only granting bonuses to escapes, and 2) only being available to Medium and Small characters.

You can pick up Clever Wrestling regardless of your size via Leviathan Hunter 3 (Stormwrack).

Is an Earth Mephling different from an Earth Mephit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#earthMephit)? If not, is there a way to make them Tiny rather than Small? Might be able to ply my DM for that though. It's a good suggestion.

Mephlings are humanoids and are designed to be more suitable as a PC race. Knocking them down to tiny... tricky, but doable with some more LA. Throw on Insectile or Symbiotic (Savage Species) to switch their type to aberration, and then you can put Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape) on them to reduce their size. Going to cost at least LA +1 or +2, though. Spellwarped (MM3) will also work for LA +3. But none of those do anything to increase your Str.

ShurikVch
2014-01-19, 04:12 PM
PC or NPC?
If PC, which ECL you expect?
If NPC, what's the expected CR?

As race, maybe Spryjack (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20070711a&page=3)?
The small, apelike humanoid crouching before you grips a full-sized weapon in its long spidery fingers. Its dingy green skin ends in bare bone on its hands, feet, and face, and its weapon is enveloped by an unnatural glimmer. Is it humanoid enough?
How about Lolth-Touched template? (+6 Str, LA +1, but turn to CE)
Also, not all half-dragons look like bipedal lizards. Check this half-elf: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/draco_gallery/75669.jpg

AugustNights
2014-01-19, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the Leviathan Hunter tip.

Can't seem to find the LA for the Dungeonbred template. I know there's some debate as to whether an absent LA means LA:- or not, but is there an errata or other location for a stipulated LA?

With all the hoops to jump through to qualify for Dungeonbred, it seems a Petal or other approach may be easier. But thanks again for the advice everyone.

ShurikVch
2014-01-19, 05:58 PM
Petal have Str 3, Spryjack - Str 10. See difference?
(Yes, also 5 HD and 1 extra LA, but still...)

Dungeonbred template is only for Large+ creatures