PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a character concept.

Adalwolf
2014-01-18, 01:00 AM
Good morning folks. So, we are about to start a new campaign tommorow. Standard 3.5e, core classes,core races etc. I wanted to play a Human Ranger with Favored Enemy: Human, on the grounds that he used to be a bounty hunter before adventuring...I haven't discussed this with the DM yet, so i would like to hear your thoughts/suggestions on this.

Necrus Philius
2014-01-18, 01:02 AM
I am playing a pathfinder 3.5 game with someone who is doing the same thing, Human ranger with preferred enemy human. He justifies it on the grounds that goblins and orcs are rare in the parts he hails from, and bandits are more common.

It's also nice that the closest thing to another human in our party is a half orc.

Edit: Also you can never go wrong with humans as preferred from a gaming stand point as they're very common enemies, and as a roleplay you can make him really jaded and distrustful of his own people after being exposed to their seedier side for so long as a bounty hunter or just a victim of bandits.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-18, 01:08 AM
Maybe he got Favored Enemy (Human) after murdering a bunch of bandits on his way to market, or served in the army as a scout or commando, killing a a lot of people that way. Or he's a serial killer, who hunts the most dangerous game: Man.

The guy could also be racist against humans, believing that some other race (i.e. elves or dwarves) is superior to humans, and thus humans should be exterminated and replaced with that race instead.

Good morning folks. So, we are about to start a new campaign tommorow. Standard 3.5e, core classes,core races etc. I wanted to play a Human Ranger with Favored Enemy: Human, on the grounds that he used to be a bounty hunter before adventuring...I haven't discussed this with the DM yet, so i would like to hear your thoughts/suggestions on this.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me -the two occupations have much in common :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2014-01-18, 01:27 AM
The difference being that bounty hunters don't tend to do dungeon crawls.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-01-18, 01:30 AM

And they usually require payment independent of looting said dungeons to use as an excuse for the murderhoboing they'd be doing anyway :smallamused:

Tommy2255
2014-01-18, 01:34 AM

They totally would if the pay were good.

Also, all it gives for fluff in the book is that the bonuses are the result of "Extensive study of his chosen foe and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures". That doesn't mean you hate your chosen foe. In fact, if could mean you respect them. After all, if you think humans are the greatest warriors and the best humanoids around, why wouldn't you train to be able to defeat them? What more worthy opponent could you ask for? You get a bonus to bluff and sense motive because you know how they think and understand their psychology. You could study that out of fascination and admiration as easily as out of hatred. I actually use this kind of attitude more often when I play a ranger.

Adalwolf
2014-01-18, 01:38 AM
They totally would if the pay were good.

Also, all it gives for fluff in the book is that the bonuses are the result of "Extensive study of his chosen foe and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures". That doesn't mean you hate your chosen foe. In fact, if could mean you respect them. After all, if you think humans are the greatest warriors and the best humanoids around, why wouldn't you train to be able to defeat them? What more worthy opponent could you ask for? You get a bonus to bluff and sense motive because you know how they think and understand their psychology. You could study that out of fascination and admiration as easily as out of hatred. I actually use this kind of attitude more often when I play a ranger.
Yup, that's my concept combined with a sort of Conan/Elric sullen attitude. Thanks a lot for your insights guys!

Slipperychicken
2014-01-18, 01:39 AM
"Extensive study of his chosen foe and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures"

I like this. So you could totally have been an anthropologist before setting out for adventure.

The "proper techniques for combating [humans]" should be relatively common, so there are a lot of ways to justify that.

Rizban
2014-01-18, 03:15 AM
Biology professor turned assassin for hire? Sequel series to Breaking Bad maybe?