PDA

View Full Version : rogue archer

dreye033
2014-01-18, 03:16 AM
Hey, this is my first post. I've just started a campaign that is going to be somewhat jungle based, and each player created a completely random first level character. mine is a goblin rogue, with high dex, good str, wis and con, and bad int and cha. I'd like for him to be a decent archer, and maybe do some work with poison, but I'm not sure how to build him best. we're allowed core books, arms and equipment, spell compendium, and the complete books, except for psion and scoundrel. i'll be able to train a swindlespitter and use it for a supply of blinding poison, which I will use to help with sneak attacks. looking for anything anyone thinks will help.

Eldariel
2014-01-18, 03:47 AM
Use Magic Device; before long you'll be able to get Wand of Sniper's Shot [Spell Compendium] to negate the sneak attack range limitation. When you have time for preparation, you can also use True Strike and the various Rogue Sneak Attack feats (Craven [Champions of Ruin] is a must down the road). Wand of Grease is another nice option for denying enemy dex-bonus to AC, and Gravestrike/Vinestrike/Golemstrike Wands (all spells in Spell Compendium) help you Sneak Attack immune enemies.

Few things off the top of my head; Rogues really benefit of spells to help them shore up their shortcomings and Use Magic Device is conveniently a class skill. Oh, and down the road you can get a Ring of Blinking to always qualify for Sneak Attack. Pierce Magical Concealment-feat [Complete Arcana] can arguably negate the miss chance to yourself (it's good either way, to negate miss chances enemies have from spells), but even if it doesn't, it's worth it. Level 4 spells like Divine Power and Greater Invisibility are of course also awesome so if you can get Wands, knock yourself out. And consider scrolls of situational game winners like Disjunction and Time Stop. All this only when you get way more money tho, of course. For starters, stick to looking at level 1 spell Wands (even those exceed your budget at the moment tho you can get Scrolls; but your UMD won't suffice for reliable use yet)