PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Noob

WindyWillows
2014-01-18, 04:29 AM
Hey everyone!

So I am new to both these forums and to D&D 3.5e. I have played Pathfinder before so I am familiar with the d20 mechanics and whatnot but I do know that there are differences between the two.

I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion as to a good class (or classes) I should take according to my ability scores. My DM had me pre-roll my stats using 3d6+2 and going straight down the stats.

These were my stats.

Strength: 13
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 20
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 16

Any suggestions for a class or a build would be a appreciated. I usually play martial characters but I don't want that Int to go to waste. Also, as a side note I haven't picked a race yet, though I would most likely take human.

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-18, 04:38 AM
Good stats for a wizard. Maybe a swashbuckler build or factotum too.

Metamagic focused sorcerer would love that combination as well if that is more your thing.

WindyWillows
2014-01-18, 04:43 AM
Good stats for a wizard. Maybe a swashbuckler build or factotum too.

Yeah I'd started looking at the Wizard. I know we actually already have two Swashbucklers in the group. We also have a Sorceror, a Bard and a Rogue. I haven't heard of the Factotum though.

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-18, 04:48 AM
It's a decent class. Can do a little but of everything.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-18, 04:57 AM
Have you heard of the archivist? It's kind of like a divine wizard with actual class features that can pull spells off any divine spell list.

It might be a good fit for your party.

Additionally, if you're thinking about trying out a caster for the first time and don;'want to let that huge int go to waste you might try the Psion.

It's a spontaneous caster so it doesn't need to muck about with preparing spells each day.

Azoth
2014-01-18, 07:01 AM
Really those stats are good for anything other than a bruiser or cleric. I jumped at the thought of throwing that on a grey elf and running it through an Unseen Seer build with a focused Conjurer and busting Abrupt Jaunt out for 6/day screw your attack/spell at lvl2. While rocking a hummingbird familiar for a juicy juicy Init boost.

Then I realized this was a build request for a new player. I am gonna advocate wizard or Psion as the others have.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-18, 07:12 AM
A Beguiler would love those stats at least as much as a Wizard or Psion, and would probably be a lot more newbie-friendly (just make sure you won't be constantly fighting undead and constructs).

DMVerdandi
2014-01-18, 07:26 AM
hmm...
there are two things i would suggest.

1. cleric or druid with academic priest. being able to heal yourself as a new player helps a lot. not only that, but both classes are quite strong without healing at all.

2. spell point wizard + eidetic wizard
now you can cast really easily, and without a spellbook.

Osiris
2014-01-18, 08:08 AM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9479.msg153181#msg153181

There you go.
Surprised nobody put this here before.

Hytheter
2014-01-18, 06:02 PM
I know we actually already have two Swashbucklers in the group.

Why would they do that?
Reduncancy aside, if you do play Wizard they're gonna feel somewhat outclassed...

Feint's End
2014-01-18, 07:20 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9479.msg153181#msg153181

There you go.
Surprised nobody put this here before.

Second this. Great handbook for newcomers.

Also you can play pretty much everything with this rolls ... come on guys! I high stat for your major attribute, 3 for the secondary need and 2 decent ones for the less important ones? There is enough in there to even play MAD classes (though that's a bad idea for more than this reason).
So I recommend reading through the handbook and settle for what fits your playstyle the most (or maybe what looks the most awesome to you ... always a good way to decide).

Petrocorus
2014-01-18, 07:56 PM
Yeah I'd started looking at the Wizard. I know we actually already have two Swashbucklers in the group. We also have a Sorceror, a Bard and a Rogue. I haven't heard of the Factotum though.

The swashbuckler may be quickly outclassed, they should think to rebuild their character into warblade, you can make swashbuckler-looking warblade.

You can do almost anything with this kind of stat. But given you int, i would second Wizard and Archivist. Or Artificer maybe.

Howerver, Psion would probably be the best, more newbie friendly and less possibility of overshadowing the whole party. And you won't step on anybody's toe if you and the sorcerer agree on focusing on different stuff.

WindyWillows
2014-01-21, 04:02 PM
Thanks for everyone's help! I ended up making a human female Wizard. She specializes in Illusions. Also, she happens to be 6 feet tall and 218 pounds with blonde hair and gray eyes and only 17 (I rolled randomly for the appearance and age).

As to the Swashbucklers what happened was that both rolled nearly identical stats in regards to Dex and Int. They decided it could be fun if the swashbucklers were duking it out, vying for the attention of the female party members. Lol

Sith_Happens
2014-01-21, 05:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's help! I ended up making a human female Wizard. She specializes in Illusions. Also, she happens to be 6 feet tall and 218 pounds with blonde hair and gray eyes and only 17 (I rolled randomly for the appearance and age).

As to the Swashbucklers what happened was that both rolled nearly identical stats in regards to Dex and Int. They decided it could be fun if the swashbucklers were duking it out, vying for the attention of the female party members. Lol

Mirror Image + Expeditious Retreat. "Catch me if you can.:smallwink:"