Raven +3 Appraise
Songbird +3 Perform
Squirrel +3 Balance
Swan See Goose
Toad +3 Hit Points
Turkey +3 Listen
Turtle +1 Natural Armor
Weasel +2 Reflex

There are other animals suitable as familiars at first level, but they are not allowed in the culture the PCs come from:
Animal Special
Crayfish, Giant +1 Natural Armor
Fish +2 Reflex
Scorpion, Tiny +2 Fortitude
Skunk +3 Intimidate
Snake, Tiny Viper +3 Bluff
Spider, Tiny +3 Climb

What I've tried to do here is incorporate all the appropriate critters in my local game world as choices for PCs, rather than the very limited list in the PHB. I'm not intending to have the extra types of familiar be any cooler than the PHB ones. They're just extras.

Your thoughts?

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-23, 11:57 AM
It's a nice list. I've used a ferret before, in a long campain - I just think they're cuter than weasels.

Druid
2007-01-23, 01:40 PM
If you can find a copy of Frost Burn to browse through there are some familiars in there. I forget what the fox familiar in there does, but escape artist sounds good. Anyhow, that's just my long winded way of saying good job.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-23, 07:38 PM
It's a nice list. I've used a ferret before, in a long campain - I just think they're cuter than weasels.

Ferret familiars (only available to Good arcane casters) should give their masters a second saving throw against mind-affecting charms and compulsions that attempt to make them perform Evil acts by poinging up and down screaming "Stay Good! Stay Good!"

Lop-eared rabbits cannot be taken as familiars, but they'd probably be more than happy if you were to offer it. As annoyed as they sound, they really do enjoy mages: With feeble d4 Hit Die and no armor, lop-eared rabbits find them to be an entertaining diversion and a good way to practice switchblade combat.

Icewalker
2007-01-23, 07:49 PM
I like them! I've always thought the PHB familiar list was very pathetic in terms of choice/length. Thanks for the list, I plan to use it. heh, lap dog.