PDA

View Full Version : Animal Totemist (PrC)

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-23, 12:34 PM
The Animal Totemist is not a single prestige class, but actually a large collection of them. Many indigenous societies - you can tailor make one for your campaign world - believe that each person has a spirit animals that they are associated with. The Animal Totemist taps into their spirit animal to gain unique powers associated with that animal. The totem animal should be chosen by the DM or the player based on the character's personality. The basic formula for an animal Totemist pretige class is like this:

1st level: Lesser Aspect of the animal, animal totem
2nd level: Skill Focus, Speak with Animals (totem animal only)
3rd level: Aspect of the animal
4th level: Ability boost (+2)
5th level: Greater Aspect of the animal, Animal Transformation

Aspect of the animal: Once per day per totemist level, for one rounds/totemist level, the Animal Totemist can take on certain aspects of their Totem animal. These generally include an ability boost of +2 at first level, +4 at 3rd level, and +6 at fifth level, skill boosts equal to +5 to one skill at first level, +8 to two skills at 3rd level, and +10 to three skills at fifth level. They also gain other bonuses depending on the animal. Possibilities include new movement types and special abilities.

Skill Focus: At second level , the Animal Totemist gains skill focus in a class skill of his or her choice.

Ability boost: At fourth level, the totemist gains a +2 boost to the relevant ability of the class.

Animal Transformation: At fifth level, the Totemist can turn into the animal once per day.

Requirements: All totem classes require a particular alignment, at least a 14 in the relevant ability, and 8 ranks in Handle animal, representing their ability to commune with animal spirits. Also, the character must go on a vision quest, find his or her spirit animal, and build a totem.

Class Skills: Are determined based on the abilities of the totem animal.

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: No new ones are gained.

Hit Die: d8.

Sample Animal Totemist Class: The Ferret Totemist

Ferret Totemist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Lesser Aspect of the Ferret, Ferret Totem

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Skill Focus, Speak with Ferrets

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Aspect of the Ferret

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Ability Boost (Dex +2)

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Greater Aspect of the Ferret, Ferret Transformation[/table]

Hit die: d8

Requirements:
Abilities: Dexterity 14
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Skills: Handle Animal, 8 ranks
Special: The character must go on a vision quest to contact his spirit animal, and discover that that animal is a ferret. He must then construct a small ferret totem, and keep it with him at all times.

Class skills:
A Ferret totemist’s class skills (and the relevant abilities) are: Balance (Dex) , Climb (Str.), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str.), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex)

Skill points at each level: 6 + intelligence modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: A Ferret Totemist gains no new weapon proficiencies.

Ferret Totem: The ferret totem is a small, usually very crude, figurine of a ferret which can be made of any material and channels spiritual energy. It requires a DC 15 craft check in the appropriate medium to construct. The totemist must keep the totem on him at all times – if it is lost or destroyed, he cannot use any of his totemist powers until a new one has been constructed. He maintains the Dex bonus and Skill focus.

Lesser Aspect of the Ferret: Once per day per level, as a free action, a Ferret totemist can tap into the spiritual energies of his totem animal. This lasts for two rounds/ totemist level. The totemist gains +2 to Dexterity, +5 to Balance checks, and gains a Climb speed of ten feet.

Skill Focus: At second level, the Ferret Totemist gains the benefit of the Skill Focus feat in a Ferret Totemist skill of his choice.

Speak with Ferrets: At second level, the Ferret Totemist can speak with animals, as the spell, for one minute per day per class level, but only with ferrets.

Aspect of the Ferret: At 3rd level the Totemist’s Aspect ability improves. The Dex bonus increases to +4. The Tomemist now gains +8 to Balance and Move Silently checks, and Climb speed increases to 20 ft. The totemist also gains Evasion while using this ability.

Ability Boost: At fourth level, the Ferret totemist gains plus +2 to Dexterity. This bonus stacks and is gained as if through leveling.

Greater Aspect of the Ferret: At fifth level, the Aspect bonuses improve again. They now receive +6 to Dexterity, +10 to Balance, Move Silently, and Tumble Checks, and have a climb speed of 30 ft. They now gain the benefits of Improved Evasion while using this ability.

Ferret Transformation: Once per day, a Fifth level Ferret Totemist can transform into a ferret. This is exactly like a Druid's Wild Shape ability, except that it can only be used once per day, and only to turn into a Ferret.

Ok, questions? Comments? Balance issues? Animals you'd like to see me adapt this to? Or adapt it yourself and post it here, it's up to you.

cferejohn
2007-01-23, 03:31 PM
It seems a tad underpowered to me (though I may steal it for a low magic campaign I'm putting together where it should fit nicely). Maybe bump the BAB progression to average? I feel like every class going into this is going to be at least an average BAB class (I don't see a lot of wizards and sorcerers taking this), so I would think that 3/4 BAB progression would be more appropriate (which is what animals get anyway, so that makes sense).

Also, while keeping HPs in line with the class most likely to take it makes sense, I think it has to be balanced somewhere, or aspect if the bear (which I'm guessing would be tapped for 1d10 if not 1d12 HD) is really going to be much better than aspect of the ferret. Perhaps you could add/drop the number of skill/ability bonuses for the aspect abilities based on HD. Either that or just make it a flat 1d8 HP/level (again, the same as the Animal type).

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-23, 09:31 PM
Actually that's a good idea. Better BAB and hit die might make this class more worth it, and you're right about the balance issues within the class.

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-23, 09:53 PM
I have to agree. Seems a little underpowered. You can only shapeshift once a day, and you can only speak with one animal, which could be pretty limited.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-23, 10:03 PM
What if I tied the shape-shifting to an ability modifier (maybe Wisdom?) So it would be usable a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier. Or would at will be too powerful? I really don't know.

cferejohn
2007-01-23, 11:36 PM
What if I tied the shape-shifting to an ability modifier (maybe Wisdom?) So it would be usable a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier. Or would at will be too powerful? I really don't know.

I don't think shapeshifting is all that powerful per se, especially when it's just one kind of animal and you're not doing silly things like allowing them to cast while in animal form. I mean, a decent fighter who takes aspect of the bear is probably going to be able to do more damage in his regular form (especially if he's going to be able to give himself +6).

In short, it still feels lacking from a crunch perspective (it's pretty cool from a fluff persepective). From a optimization point of view it's hard to see someone taking this (not to say that's the only way to build a character, but it's nice if the classes that are cool are at least competative). Essentially transforming into your totem animal is rarely going to be a good idea. In exchange for specializing in one animal, it seems like you should get some pretty cool perks. Ideas (take some, all, or none):

* You get transformation 1/day per level.
* At some point you can summon one or more of your totem animal (depending on HD) to fight for you. For small things like ferrets, you might want to make it dire.
* At 5th level, you can transform into some kind of idealized form of your animal. Maybe with the celestial or fiendish template on it (depending on alignment).

As it stands now, the buffs are OK (but not really any better than a barbarian range, and they don't last as long), but the transformation just doesn't say "capstone" to me (even if it is a capstone for a 5 level PrC).