PDA

View Full Version : Lower CR for a Rukanyr

Chester
2014-01-18, 08:12 AM
I would like my players to face a Rukanyr (Fiend Folio p. 144). You see, after an encounter with the Kaorti, one of the PCs loudly called them "scrubs" and easily defeated them; I'd like to put the fear back in the campaign.

Unfortunately, Rukanyr are higher CR, so I'm going with a modified version.

What do you think of this:

HP: 60 (instead of 80)
AC: 20 (instead of 22)
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+10
Attack: Slam +5 melee
Full Attack: Slam plus 6 claws +3 melee plus 3 bites +3 melee
Damage: Slam 2d6+5, claw 1d4+2, bite 1d6+2
Saves stay the same
Skills the same
Poison will do 1d6 dex damage instead of 2d6
Stunning Strike will be the same.
Sundering Roar will cause deafness for 1d6 rounds and do 5d6 of sonic damage to single target (most likely the NPC first).

Does this sound more reasonable for a level 5 party? Still too strong? Too weak?

Eldariel
2014-01-18, 08:50 AM
We're talking about a level 5 party. CR 9 is within the ECL+4 paradigm so provided they have 4 characters, it's supposedly a close, but winnable fight. Default Rukanyr's numbers should be a fine challenge for a level 5 party. The big thing about it that raises its CR is that it breaks your items, so if it doesn't go for that so heavily it might not be that much of a problem.

But yeah, boss encounters can be ECL+4 and the party still should have decent odds of beating the enemy (tho on very low levels this can be extremely difficult).

Like, it has horrid Will and Reflex-saves so any spellcaster can use stuff like Entangle/Glitterdust/Web/Pyrotechnics/Silence (shuts down its roar)/etc. to great effect (tho vs. Entangle I suppose the Sundering would probably cut the vines when thinking logically). It also lacks Touch AC so Ray of Enfeeblement/Ray of Exhaustion/etc. are very good vs. it. All the general purpose spells overall are really efficient against it, and its AC isn't that high so the party warriors can whip out bows and start peppering it from relative safety given room to maneuver.

Physically it's quite imposing at 40' speed, Large size, the ridiculously strong Stability (completely negates the strongest melee tactic, tripping), Fast Healing, 80 HP and some AC but overall, it's just a melee brute.

It doesn't score very high on any of the basic numbers; it just has nasty side effects and attacks, and it's quite durable. It'll certainly threaten to claim some of party's equipment and the poison and damage might bring someone down but it shouldn't be insurmountable.

EDIT: Basically, if it doesn't get a full attack it isn't that much of a threat. It relies on full attack to hurt people, much like Hydras, but lacks the means to ensure it gets one. The 12d6 roar certainly hurts and almost certainly breaks weapons and possibly even armor tho so that's something to watch out for.

Chester
2014-01-18, 09:07 AM
They've just faced several Kaorti and a Gibbering Mouther. By no means are they exhausted, but they're down a few spells.:smallwink: