PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Mage (WoW)

Grug
2007-01-23, 01:08 PM
Hiya. I have a level 52 undead mage in WoW, and I've noticed most of my gear is horribly out of date. My hat and belt especially. the items i have are:

Geomancers hat of firey wrath
horizon Choker
Berylline Pads
Imperial Red Cloak
Dreamweave Vest (not made by me)
Shizzle's Nozzle Wiper (brand new)
Dreamweave Gloves (not made by me)
Windchaser Cinch (way old)
Dalewind trousers
Cindercloth boots (not made by me)
Archaedic Stone of the eagle
Fen Ring of the Falcon (also way old)
Insignia of the Horde
Nifty Stopwatch

My speciality is 100% fire, so any +fire would be good. I am broke, so the Auction House is out. Are there any good items i can get from auction house/quest? Even if it's below my level i'll do it. I want some advice from someone experianced with the game. BTW i could also use more stamina and focus solely on PvE.

Sul'us
2007-01-23, 03:58 PM
I'd say start working for your dungeon sets. The Magister's Regalia is pretty nice. Pretty much every piece gives you +20 to 30 intelligence. Nothing to enhance your fire, though. Some of these--I think the belt, gloves, and bracers--you can buy off the Auction House.

Another thing would be the Trappings of the Vaulted Secrets. These aren't fire, per se, but they increase all spell damage and spell crits. http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/itemset.html?setid=504

I've never played much as a mage, so I don't know what stats are important. I hope those helped a bit.

Also, check out Allakhazam for more items and sets.

Cubey
2007-01-23, 04:14 PM
I'd say start working for your dungeon sets. The Magister's Regalia is pretty nice.

That would be a good idea, but not with Burning Crusade out.

My solution is as follows - get level 58 (you should be able to with the stuff you already have) and go to Outlands. The rewards there are VERY good, especially since the quests you have to finish are (relatively to the reward) easy. Much easier than farming Scholomance/Stratholme for pieces of gear.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-23, 04:20 PM
Um, install 30' inch chrome rims and PS2 in the trunk?

(Lame, but hey, someone had to make this joke)

Poison_Fish
2007-01-23, 04:39 PM
Actually, I hear 30' chrome rims add 2000 to your armor. With those you can be a mage tank. Also, additional crowd control with the PS2 depending on what game is in it.

Grug
2007-01-23, 09:25 PM
Anything i could get wihtou having to go up another 5 levels? It took me 2 years to get 52 alone.

Kish
2007-01-23, 09:42 PM
Any gear you can use at level 52 that would qualify as "pimping" your mage would be substantially harder to obtain than six levels. Short of buying WoW gold or something similarly illegal. However, if you're not willing to go out of your way to level, you only have two real options, depending on whether or not you have access to a group.

With a group, run the Sunken Temple over and over for good blue mage drops.

If you're solo, kill undead in the Western Plaguelands and furbolgs in Felwood, for money and those rare blue drops.

Sul'us
2007-01-23, 09:43 PM
Not really; most of the stuff requires you to be higher leveled. You could always go through a couple dungeons, and hope for some good drops.

And, at that level, the Outlands could be a little too difficult for you. Like I said before, try for dungeon sets--at your level, you can wear two, which is enough for the +200 armor bonus.

Kish
2007-01-23, 10:01 PM
Not really; most of the stuff requires you to be higher leveled. You could always go through a couple dungeons, and hope for some good drops.

And, at that level, the Outlands could be a little too difficult for you. Like I said before, try for dungeon sets--at your level, you can wear two, which is enough for the +200 armor bonus.
Grug would need quite a powerful group to get the Magister's armor from Scholomance, Stratholme, and Blackrock Spire at level 52, and s/he already mentioned being broke, which would interfere with buying the bracers, gloves, and belt in the AH.

Sul'us
2007-01-23, 10:05 PM
Heh, guess I'm used to having higher-leveled friends taking me through instances.

Wehrkind
2007-01-23, 10:23 PM
PVP for a while and get the blue set. You could probably acrue enough honor in about two weeks, though getting the AV tokens would take sometime and luck, depending on which side you are on.

Honestly though, if you can't level, I don't know what I am going to tell you that will be really helpful, since you need to be 54 to get into AV. I presume that you can't get into instance groups, as that tends to toss your level skyward, and that solo killing monsters takes forever, else grinding would get you were you are going.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-24, 03:50 PM
I wonder why you went 100% fire spec...

Even a 'pure' fire spec has PoM from Arc to do the obscene PoM/Pyro combo.

Personally, I go Frost. Perhaps not as much DPS as an Arc21/FireX build, but a lot more staying power than the 'three minute wonder'. Plus, Shatter/Ice Shards/Frostbite make for good DPS boosting. Then go Fire18 after I've gone as far as I want into Frost to grab Mastery of Elements to get a 30% refund on the many crits I deliver. While I'm playing with fire, I can grab Ignite to take advantage of Shatter when using fire spells

Other than that... yea, what the others said.

Joran
2007-01-24, 04:11 PM
PVP for a while and get the blue set. You could probably acrue enough honor in about two weeks, though getting the AV tokens would take sometime and luck, depending on which side you are on.

QFT. PvP if you don't want to work at getting your gear; put enough time into it, and you'll get your pieces. However, why did it take you so long to level? Was it a time issue?

Sul'us
2007-01-24, 04:41 PM
I think he is one of the few WoW players who has a "life," whatever that is. :smallwink:

Kish
2007-01-24, 05:44 PM
I wonder why you went 100% fire spec...

Even a 'pure' fire spec has PoM from Arc to do the obscene PoM/Pyro combo.

*looks up PoM*
...I don't think every fire mage ignores Dragon's Breath in favor of diving 21 points deep into the Arcane tree. Indeed, I'd look askance at someone who did that and claimed to be a pure fire spec.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-24, 06:11 PM
*looks up PoM*
...I don't think every fire mage ignores Dragon's Breath in favor of diving 21 points deep into the Arcane tree. Indeed, I'd look askance at someone who did that and claimed to be a pure fire spec.

A friend of mine thought full fire wasnt worth it, then he switched and won't shut up for two seconds about Dragons Breath.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-24, 11:20 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Dragon's Breath. It's an AE, so +Fire damage items don't add much in the way to it, unless they changed how +Damage spells affect AE spells, which severely nerfs it when compared to things like PoM/Pyro. Heck, even Blast Wave, at max ranks, is 595 for 640-754 damage plus 6 second daze, and is an AE. DB, on the other hand, at max ranks, is 700 mana for 680-790 plus 3 sec disorient. To be honest, I'd rather just stick to Blast Wave, and use a PoM/Pyro for over 1k single shot before mods to set up a two-shot combo which will blast away nearly any opponent (Pyro, plus PoM Pyro follow up is over 2k before mods).

That's just me.

Of course, I still like my frost spec better, but that's a matter of personal preference of wanting survivability and CC and staying power vs being a 3 min wonder.